Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire stretch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
Plenty of drifters buy old tires to stretch onto their wheels, they can't afford to buy new tires after every event. Maybe you can afford new tires all the time, but most drifters can't, they reuse tires all the time with less than 10% treadlife left.
lol, less than 10% haahaa

either you have no clue what your talking about, or you are referencing some personal experience with some friends that are not so smart haha
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM
tougeracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only idiots would buy a tire with 10% tread life left on it. lol
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 PM
deviljon

lol 10%

you slay me redlude97.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hayai240sx
You sound like a ignorant fool with Degree in Engineering. You should give up because your persuading skills(hard to do without proof)really suck.
I'd rather use common sense than blind Faith in the case at hand. No need of a degree.

Seeing it done on tv isn't worth much. Race applications don't translate directly in the real world either. New, freshly mounted tires every other run at the track vs 2 years on the street ? Repeated impact on open road vs a few bumps at the track ?

What are the chances of a blow out? Slim in most cases.
Is a stretched tire more at risk of suffering a blow out or bead separation? Definitely!

At the end of the day, you guys can make your own decisions. Just don't fool yourself in thinking you don't affect the tire's safety when it's stretched.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowrider
Not really for this one at least. The Auto & Tire Manufacturers spend millions of dollars designing safety criteria and handling characteristics for tires, wheels and the vehicles they are mounted on. Warranties are in place within those established guidelines. Go outside of those guidelines and the risk is yours. And for what, LOOKS

Makes no sense sense to me. No skin off my nose if you want to risk your life on a peculiar tire/wheel combination, just don't drive near me when you do it.

Lou

very well said Lou. if people want to go out and do this to their cars, let them. I just expect to see a bunch of threads created about "my wheels got messed up" or "i wrecked my Z due to loss of traction" or "my sidewall blew out". but hey, they obviously got the money to replace any parts and/or vehicles they mess up by doing something like this so let them. at least i know my car will still be on the road rather than having something that "looks cool"
Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 AM
lovemelongtime

Originally Posted by Kolia
I'd rather use common sense than blind Faith in the case at hand. No need of a degree.

Seeing it done on tv isn't worth much. Race applications don't translate directly in the real world either. New, freshly mounted tires every other run at the track vs 2 years on the street ? Repeated impact on open road vs a few bumps at the track ?

What are the chances of a blow out? Slim in most cases.
Is a stretched tire more at risk of suffering a blow out or bead separation? Definitely!

At the end of the day, you guys can make your own decisions. Just don't fool yourself in thinking you don't affect the tire's safety when it's stretched.

So how many tires have you seen pop off becouse of this????
have you watched d1 when the car hits the lip of the track (hard very hard) and the tire is still on sometimes fliping the cars over??????
how about the big bumps they hit with stiff Suspension tires dont come off????
The touge runs on ruff roads at near limits tires stay on .

all of this and the tires dont fall off but the wheels have.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:43 PM
tougeracing

+ BUMP for more drama .
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by jinsei888
lol, less than 10% haahaa

either you have no clue what your talking about, or you are referencing some personal experience with some friends that are not so smart haha
Obviously you haven't hung out on 240 boards at all, because alot of them use low treadlife tires on a regular basis. Half of them are rolling around on mismatched wheels/tires, and you are telling me ALL of them buy new tires all the time? They get them for cheap/free and reuse them, its pretty common, so I guess I DO know what I am talking about. Here's a little reading on the subject to educate yourself
http://www.drifting.com/forums/archi...php/t-249.html
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/...ront_1213.html
http://www.driftcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101
Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 AM
lovemelongtime

Obviously you haven't hung out on 240 boards at all, because alot of them use low treadlife tires on a regular basis. Half of them are rolling around on mismatched wheels/tires, and you are telling me ALL of them buy new tires all the time? They get them for cheap/free and reuse them, its pretty common, so I guess I DO know what I am talking about. Here's a little reading on the subject to educate yourself

this is very true.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 AM
daytona350z

all those threads proved that they used old tires and not stretched tires onto thier wide rims rims...

give you another tip, stop reading internet forums where people talk about drifting, because you get about 90% posers on the fanboy forums.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 AM
lovemelongtime

Originally Posted by daytona350z
all those threads proved that they used old tires and not stretched tires onto thier wide rims rims...

give you another tip, stop reading internet forums where people talk about drifting, because you get about 90% posers on the fanboy forums.

ARE YOU A POSER BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A FORUM AND DIDNT SEE WHAT HE WAS SAYING..
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yet again, redlude does not know how to stay on topic, let's move back to the original discussion of stretched tire relevance, rather than my attack on you and kolia's defense of the "aging tire PDF file" defense.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM
formulaZ

Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by lovemelongtime
ARE YOU A POSER BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A FORUM AND DIDNT SEE WHAT HE WAS SAYING..
no, on the contrary actually-i drive my car. but i am, unlike yourself, literate and can read his posts and make aguments to that what he said only proves half of his rgument.

Last edited by daytona350z; 07-31-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

that is a 4 year old thread people are smarter now and most people on forums dont actually drift they just talk about it. Woot to my first post from my I phone btw
Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
redlude97

The second post I made isn't even from a forum, its an article from a newspaper where the use of old tires by drifters actually drifting is mentioned. How come when I bring up the cars other than the 350z I'm going off topic, but you guys use all other cars with stretched tires as your justification for why it is fine to use? My point is that drifters, by your own defense almost always stretch their tires, buy used tires all the time. Stretching used tires make Kolia's pdf relevant to the argument. Nowhere does anyone say that if you stretch your tire that it will magically blow up and you will die. You DO increase the risks compared to a nonstretched tire, simple physics makes that obvious, especially for daily drivers. Why is that so hard to understand? If you think it is just as safe to stretch a tire beyond the specs given by the manufacturer, then you have some issues. The extent to which the safety is comprimised is variable, and highly dependant on tire size, wheel width and diameter, amount of stretch, tire brand etc.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
daytona350z

The second post I made isn't even from a forum, its an article from a newspaper where the use of old tires by drifters actually drifting is mentioned.
use of old tires-yes. anything about stretching old tires-no

also, that article was made by someone, like yourself, that doesnt drift, therefore; i dont really accpet that article as valid nor accurate.

i dont even know why i choose to argue with someone about something, drifting, that he, or she (you never know), has NO experience with whatsoever.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia

Are people so poor that once they buy wide rim they can't afford new tires and have to stretch the OEM ones?

I don't get the whole stretching thing...
i see your point how their assests are directly related to tire choice
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i've admitted there is increased risk, but the risk is negligible and thats why its ok to do it. it's also probably why theres not data on it.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by daytona350z
use of old tires-yes. anything about stretching old tires-no

also, that article was made by someone, like yourself, that doesnt drift, therefore; i dont really accpet that article as valid nor accurate.

i dont even know why i choose to argue with someone about something, drifting, that he, or she (you never know), has NO experience with whatsoever.
The article doesn't have to say that explicitly that drifters stretch used tires onto wheels.Here's the argument spelled out for you to understand.

1. Alot of drifters stretch tires by your own admission.
2. Alot of drifters use old tires by your own admission

CONCLUSION: Some drifters who use old tires stretch them onto wide wheels. That is the easy deduction from those two facts. Anyone who has any sort of college education could have figured that out.

Newsflash! Most of the articles written about drifting aren't written by drifters!

Why do I have to be a drifter to discuss wheel and tires, I didn't know only drifters stretched tires. VIP style car owners and lowriders have been doing if for as long as drifters if not longer. But they don't know what they are talking about right?

Quick Reply: Tire stretch question