Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Fender Rolling, Shaving and Rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Fender Rolling, Shaving and Rust

Does rolling or shaving a fender make it more prone to rust damage?

I would think the answer is yes (but I’m guessing) since rolling creates trough that could hold road salt, and shaving possibly exposes an opening between layers of laminated metal. Obviously you need to execute either procedure correctly (heating to avoid paint cracking when rolling ... and sealing exposed edges when shaving), but I still wonder if the end result is more exposure to fender rust.

--Spike
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Does rolling or shaving a fender make it more prone to rust damage?

I would think the answer is yes (but I’m guessing) since rolling creates trough that could hold road salt, and shaving possibly exposes an opening between layers of laminated metal. Obviously you need to execute either procedure correctly (heating to avoid paint cracking when rolling ... and sealing exposed edges when shaving), but I still wonder if the end result is more exposure to fender rust.

--Spike
it definitely makes it more prone to rusting. Not just the fact that it holds moisture and contaminates, but because the process of rolling them brakes the bond between the paint and metal. A good shop will tell you they won't roll your fenders without a repaint; otherwise, there is no way they can warranty the work they have performed. Even if you pull off a 'roll' without breaking or cracking the paint, you have damaged the integrity of the bond between the paint and metal as the metal is stretched

Last edited by Zivman; 01-06-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well almost everything that can be said was.

Off subject. Zivman, to bad there is bad weather there. You could take me for a ride in your Z. I'm coming up there Feb. 16 to visit my Mom. She lives in, I believe it's spelled Eagan. I can't believe I don't remember. I know that's not to far from MPLS.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
Well almost everything that can be said was.

Off subject. Zivman, to bad there is bad weather there. You could take me for a ride in your Z. I'm coming up there Feb. 16 to visit my Mom. She lives in, I believe it's spelled Eagan. I can't believe I don't remember. I know that's not to far from MPLS.
Eagan is 15 minutes from me, a few of my good buddies from high school live out that way. I actually live in Cottage Grove, which is a suburb of st. paul... I put mpls/st paul in my avatar because nobody knows the suburbs, but they know the twin cities.

I would definitely be up for taking the car out, but the way this winter is going, we will have feet of snow on the ground in mid Feb. If you get bored, send me a PM, you would be welcome to check out the cars at my shop... got a few good ones; street rods, my Z, boosted G35c, old school toyota drag car, etc
Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Spike100

Zivman... Thanks for the response and good information. I’m in your area (I’m in Edina). Most of the western Minneapolis suburbs have stopped using sand and have gone to salt only (unless it is way subzero) to reduce spring cleanup costs (street sweeping in April and May). That means a lot more salt on the road and that ends up on/in/all-over a car.

--Spike
Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 AM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zivman
Eagan is 15 minutes from me, a few of my good buddies from high school live out that way. I actually live in Cottage Grove, which is a suburb of st. paul... I put mpls/st paul in my avatar because nobody knows the suburbs, but they know the twin cities.

I would definitely be up for taking the car out, but the way this winter is going, we will have feet of snow on the ground in mid Feb. If you get bored, send me a PM, you would be welcome to check out the cars at my shop... got a few good ones; street rods, my Z, boosted G35c, old school toyota drag car, etc
I wouldn't mind doing that (come by shop). I'll hit you up then. I'll be there for four days. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
it definitely makes it more prone to rusting. Not just the fact that it holds moisture and contaminates, but because the process of rolling them brakes the bond between the paint and metal. A good shop will tell you they won't roll your fenders without a repaint; otherwise, there is no way they can warranty the work they have performed. Even if you pull off a 'roll' without breaking or cracking the paint, you have damaged the integrity of the bond between the paint and metal as the metal is stretched
My fenders have been rolled over 3 years now, no paint cracked, still not even a hairline crack, no rust. Ive rolled about 5-7 cars never cracked paint, and no rust.

BUT-I never do 100% 90 degree rolls, I roll enough to clear the wheel/tire combo, and dont push i tmore than needed.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
My fenders have been rolled over 3 years now, no paint cracked, still not even a hairline crack, no rust. Ive rolled about 5-7 cars never cracked paint, and no rust.

BUT-I never do 100% 90 degree rolls, I roll enough to clear the wheel/tire combo, and dont push i tmore than needed.

+1
Rolled my fenders with a baseball bat, I wraped some thin hard rubber on the bat so it wouldnt jack the paint. Like Bert stated I only rolled far enough to clear the set up I was going to run. No cracks, just take your time.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Spike100

3 years is a very short time to expect seeing rust, even under the worst circumstances.

Here is why I ask the question:

I rolled the front fenders on a seriously equipped 4WD I used off-road. I only rolled the front fenders, and that was to provide clearance for higher and wider off-road tires (the rears didn‘t need rolling to fit the larger tires). I believe that I did it correctly (heating the paint, only a minimal roll as needed, and used a fender rolling device).

At 3 years, there was no rust. In fact it took 7-8 years before any rust appeared, and the only area I had this rust was where the fenders were rolled (i.e., the rolled fronts rusted, but the unrolled rear fenders -- same paint and same construction -- did not rust at all).

The rust I experienced was clearly due to rolling my fenders.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-07-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I know of cars in NY who rust after only 1 year, 3 years going through MD winters-which are bad at times is a good amount of time.

BTW-good comparison to a 4WD truck exposed to MANY more elements than a Z ever could be
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Spike100

I know of cars in NY who rust after only 1 year, 3 years going through MD winters-which are bad at times is a good amount of time.

BTW-good comparison to a 4WD truck exposed to MANY more elements than a Z ever could be
Cars that rust within one year? Yikes!

You said: “I know of cars in NY who rust after only 1 year…”

What is the year, model and manufacturer? I need this information so that I can avoid buying this car.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-09-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Its not the car-are you kinda slow? Weather can affect ANY car.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Justin07Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars don't rust in a yr Bert, stop polluting the thread and being a dick for no reason.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I know people (work with a guy) from upsate NY who lives through NASTY winters who have told me so-door jams, truck rear fenders by the bed, etc.. They are techs and know about cars-why the fawk would I lie? His comparison to his off road truck was stupid. He asks for opinions, I gave him some based off my experience and he doesnt believe it-then why fawking ask? You arent contributing anything with your knowledge either
Old 01-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Spike100

I believe most vehicles are warranted against rust for at least 3 years (and usually 5 years). Of course coverage doesn’t extend to damaged or bent panels, and I suppose that exclusion would include rolled fenders.

Not saying you are lying, but still curious about the make and model of these vehicles you say rust within 1 year. Maybe you could ask the guy (“I know people (work with a guy) from upsate NY…”) you work with.

--Spike