Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

You get what you pay for. (failed rotas)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 AM
JSDZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never mind i know why it cracked. he lives in san leandro!!!! bay area= worst roads on the planet!!!! i bent one of my TSW's in Oakland like 3 years ago. our roads=FAIL!!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You guys act like volks and hre's dont crack either...

Dont get me wrong, i love volks, but its not like rota's have a reputation of cracking.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:33 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aloh
but its not like rota's have a reputation of cracking.

The sharks smell the blood in the water.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It took 18 minutes for someone to say “Volk.” You guys are slow.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

I believe I spoke to you last month about this wheel when you called in. I had mentioned that we no longer have the 18x9.5 +25 Hyper Black wheel in stock. We stock tons of P45R's in various colors, offsets, etc.. and it's hard to keep every single size/color we have ever sold in stock at all times. As I mentioned we do have 18x9.5 +30 Hyper Black coming in and I can get you one piece from here if you want to run a 5mm spacer on this wheel or another option is getting two 18x9.5 +30 wheels for the front and run the +25's in the rear. I also have other colors in 18x9.5 +25 if you want one of these and then you could custom paint the set. There are many options available, it's just unfortunate that the best option is not available at this time (replacing it with a 18x9.5 +25 Hyper Black). After talking to you last month I thought you were going to think it over and get back to me.. Definitely call me or PM me as I am willing to work with you and get a wheel to replace the damaged one, I would never leave a customer hanging without a replacement.

Also I'm shocked at the thread title and everyone jumping in about the quality of the wheels. Did anyone ask what happened to the wheel and what type of pothole/curb it hit? The wheel is obviously curbed and we aren't sure what type of impact has happened, it had to have been very severe to do this to the wheel. The Rota P45R wheels are JWL/VIA certified just like Volk Racing wheels and they hold up to a ton of abuse.

Here is a recent thread from someone who hit a concrete median at 30mph head on, the Rota P45 wheel has a bent lip but did not crack at all. Even his tire blew out yet the wheel did not crack

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/364856-mother-f-i-ran-over-a-concrete-median.html

These wheels have proven to be very durable but just like any other wheel out there, they can get damaged with a huge impact.

-Dan
Old 07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
ZTEALTH

ANYTHING will break when abused.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTEALTH
Even women
Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
The Captain

Originally Posted by Chineseguy
How did you curb the INSIDE of your wheel? No offense, but that just looks like some driver error... I could be wrong, but some of the story is missing. It also looks like a band of rubber from the middle of the tire is missing... kinda like it rubbed against something. (Notice the dark band in the middle of the tire compared to the brownish top and bottom near the rim)

I'm not trying to take sides here, but it seems pretty unfair of people to come out and say that Rotas suck without wanting to hear the whole story or trying to find any more info out.

Just "Oh, the wheel cracked, they obviously suck." Given the right conditions that could happen to anyone on any wheel.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
ZTEALTH

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Even women
Waaaay more expensive than a broken wheel!

if it flys, floats or f*cks... rent it!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
black06z

Originally Posted by ZTEALTH
+1. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Volk cracked wheel thread.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
ZTEALTH

Originally Posted by black06z
+1. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Volk cracked wheel thread.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...goldplated.jpg
"CRACKED" Volk wheel.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM
michaeljr6

volk >>>>>>>>>>>>*
Old 07-01-2008, 10:47 AM
THe Emperor

Not taking sides but I know there are Volks out there that cracked or bent but the owners just won't post it.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
hmm, the way that wheel looks with the scuff on the inside, looks like you tagged something and cracked it there, possibly causing the spoke to crack as well
thinking the same exact thing.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Well Rotas are just cheap wheels. Maybe you can get some nice wheels when your on the road and get a set of Rotas for drag/drift/or race days. It wont really matter if they break because you can pick another one up for fairly cheap.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Maybe you can get some nice wheels when your on the road and get a set of Rotas for drag/drift/or race days. It wont really matter if they break because you can pick another one up for fairly cheap.
I STRONGLY Disagree. I say cheap wheels for streets and quality for any autosport. Godforbid I get a cracked wheel like doing 120 on a road course or 45 full tilt at an autocross. -(Vegas people will understand what I mean )
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by iStan
I STRONGLY Disagree. I say cheap wheels for streets and quality for any autosport. Godforbid I get a cracked wheel like doing 120 on a road course or 45 full tilt at an autocross. -(Vegas people will understand what I mean )
Actually, you got a point. Just stay away from cheap wheels.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:16 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or hell, get two sets of Enkei's for the price of a set of Volks
FS-01 Streets, RPF-1s Not so street. yay

PS- Owned a Set of MB Motoring wheels when 3 of my OEM wheels cracked Eh, they definately worked though for the time being.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 AM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
but if I said that people would jump all over me and call me a fanboy for Volks, BBS, or HRE's. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
You are entitled to your own opinion and I would never once call someone a "fanboy" if they have actual experience with the product. I will never talk about the quality of a part, especially if it's a negative comment unless I have first hand experience with it. Yes I sell Rota wheels however I have owned many wheels in the past including a set of Volk Racing CE28's wheels. Two of the Volk wheels from this set have severe bends in the lip from normal daily driving with them. I have hit the same potholes with tons of my Rota's and they have never once bent or cracked.. So from my stand point do I think Volk wheels suck? Of course not, I'm just trying to say any wheel can get damaged given the impact and circumstances. I daily drive on Rota's, track my car on Rota's, etc.. and I love them

They definitely hold up to tons of abuse and this situation is just unfortunate.

-Dan
Old 07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
You are entitled to your own opinion and I would never once call someone a "fanboy" if they have actual experience with the product. I will never talk about the quality of a part, especially if it's a negative comment unless I have first hand experience with it. Yes I sell Rota wheels however I have owned many wheels in the past including a set of Volk Racing CE28's wheels. Two of the Volk wheels from this set have severe bends in the lip from normal daily driving with them. I have hit the same potholes with tons of my Rota's and they have never once bent or cracked.. So from my stand point do I think Volk wheels suck? Of course not, I'm just trying to say any wheel can get damaged given the impact and circumstances. I daily drive on Rota's, track my car on Rota's, etc.. and I love them

They definitely hold up to tons of abuse and this situation is just unfortunate.

-Dan
I have since edited my original post. Let me put it this way, Rota's aren't for me, but that doesn't mean they're not for everyone .

Quick Reply: You get what you pay for. (failed rotas)