Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

You get what you pay for. (failed rotas)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 784 Posts

they mention engineering on there site...............but do they show any of their own engineering work?

BBS has a nice (older) video.............does PAWI have the same?

Wheeldude...........what do you expect the public to see? What i see is a wheel company, based in the Phillipenes (notorious for lack luster laws against fakes,patent infringing and high rate of knock offs??? dont really know but its what i assume is the case). A wheel company that COPIES like every wheel they manufacture. Do they have ay original designs? If theyre copying designs..........then what are they actually engineering?

Sometimes you do get what you pay for............and nothing more.

Rotas only survive because theyre extremely cheap wheels. Imagine what it cost them to actually make a wheel vs what its sold for. You can get some 15's for like 110 shipped new for a single wheel. $110 covers manufacturing, engineering, testing, safety, shipping, exporting, painting, reseller profit, raw materials.........ect. Theyre cutting corners somewhere.........and theyres only a few places they can: Quality, safety, materials.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:52 AM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joseph (aka subydude/wheeldude) made a video in 2005 from images he took at Rota. You can view it here if you would like

http://www.subydude.com/osc/video.ph...615cc4e011d632

A few of us from Wheeldude are going to Rota in September and I will be sure to take tons of pictures and try to get video as well. I can also discuss doing a professional video but I would rather cut cost here so I can keep our prices down on wheels haha jk

-Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

screw the volk club, join the Work club instead

lol
Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Actually i didnt even bother to read that Enkei article. I dont think i need first hand experience when there is already hundreds of threads regarding inferior craftmanship, ranging from suby forum, Nissan forums to honda forums, everywhere. I dont think i need to waste money on Rota's to find out either. There is also no doubt in my mind that whatever engineering they claim they do, obviously needs to go back to the drawing board with so many flawed wheels. I dont know what you are trying to get at with that holiday inn comment, but oooookay.

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com

Eddie@Performance - Even more speculation.. This goes back to an earlier post I made where people make negative comments on products they have no first hand experience with. It clearly shows in your posts that you read one article from Enkei (high rigidity vs lightweight) and now you think you are an expert on manufacturing rims, did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?? While the designs aren't always original they still go through fabrication, testing, more testing, and then finally production. Here's a link with more info, it's not a "JDM" article but I hope you can learn something from it..

http://rotawheels.com/about.shtml

-Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 PM
nismo69

I love my rota's. I have drifted into curbs and a manhole with no breaks cracks just a little curb rash. Most people on this site that have high dollar wheels dont take there car to the track. Get volks yea lets pay 2XXX for a set of wheels that go to the track and get scuffed you will be pissed. There are so many threads on here I rashed my rims. Yea im sure there not as light or made as well but when you see many race teams use them that must mean something. Like someone said on this thread I use my volks for SHOWS yea let me pay that much for something to sit there and look pretty. The z is a sports car not a show car. This just pisses me of like lambo doors on a car thats not a lambo.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:47 PM
The_VQ

There is so much speculation in this thread..

The_VQ - JWL/VIA standards for Rota wheels.. Rota has equipment at their facility which their wheels go through and are tested on. The wheels have to meet these testing standards to get the JWL/VIA stamp on the wheel. Every couple of years the equipment is also tested by JWL/VIA engineers to confirm it is accurate. I had a set of Enkei's that are JWL/VIA certified yet they didn't have a "sticker" on them, I guess they weren't really up to the JWL/VIA standards... And about the 19" wheel comment, I take it you are referring to the recent post about which 19" wheel styles people are interested in.. If you really think Rota hasn't made 19" wheels before then you are as dense as I think you are.. I would stop speculating with your posts and really watch who you are calling a lier. I emailed the president of Rota about your post so hopefully he can step in and provide more details for you about the JWL/VIA certification for their wheels.

-Dan
I don't care what Rota says, I've just told you where JWL/VIA companies are listed - cannot see Rota there. Also I don't really care if you had Enkei's wheel with or without a sticker as long as it this company is listed by JAWA it is JWL/VIA certified. Actually the certificate is a proof, not the sticker, the problem is every legit company has no problem with showing it...only shady companies have problems with that.

Oh...and about 19", sorry they have Quake model in 19"....my bad So what was the problem to produce other models in 19", 20", 22" ?? Why if they have so high tech equipment they have never managed to produce 2 pcs or 3 pcs wheel, forged ones? Yeah, no market for those, right?

You should understand that engineering is one thing, and no-brain reverse engineering (which is the case with Rota) is the other thing. I would never trust a company who doesn't fully understand why something was done that way and not the other when considering its products.

And about the factory...actually I had once opportunity to visit Work and 5Zigen factory (as they were considered to do some OEM stuff for the company I have worked, but the deal never fell thru)...and from the pictures you have posted about Rota's factory it looks like a total sweetshop to me...go to a factory doing high end products...and compare

Sure, email the president of Rota...I guess he could give us few answers...no, actually I wouldn't be so sure...the problem with these kind of people (doing fake products and marketing them as legit ones) is they tend to crack when asked few too many though questions, they are starting to lose it...because they are not so sure about your knowledge anymore...and your problem in this case Dan is I know few things about wheel industry and I will smell BS from miles away

Oh and I am +1 on everything Eddie@Performance has said, he knows his stuff well

As a summary, Rotas are budget wheels, should be marketed so, they are not even close to compete with japanese wheels quality wise and shouldn't be marketed so (do not even try to compete with Rays, Prodrive, etc)...this is the main mistake you are doing...you try to fool people with shady certificates, you try to fool people they are buying products as good as Volk's, etc for a fraction of their price...while you should tell the clients they should expect low end products for low end price...would be fair enought and I wouldn't have any problems with that

Last edited by The_VQ; 07-06-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:51 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Eddie@Performance
I dont think i need first hand experience
Thanks for making my point..

Originally Posted by Eddie@Performance
ranging from suby forum, Nissan forums to honda forums, everywhere. I dont think i need to waste money on Rota's to find out either. There is also no doubt in my mind that whatever engineering they claim they do, obviously needs to go back to the drawing board with so many flawed wheels. I dont know what you are trying to get at with that holiday inn comment, but oooookay.
If you go on the Subaru forums you will find Rota has a HUGE presence on the forums. Search Rota there and you will find tons of threads and the majority of Subaru's running Rota wheels. Here's a recent thread where people voiced their opinion about the wheels

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=rota

One of my car's is an Impreza and I'm extremely active on the Subaru forums. Rota wheels are very common there and everyone loves them. If you go back to some previous posts in this thread you will see the top Subaru Time Attack team (GST Motorsports) is running Rota wheels

You also mention the Nissan forums.. There has been maybe 1 thread in the past where people made negative comments about Rota's for no reason and it was the same exact people as this thread. Negative comments coming from people who have never owned Rota's and who have no first hand experience. Even this thread has no merit as the wheel was damaged due to very low tire pressure and then hitting a pothole.

I'm sorry but your comments are not justified. When my Volk Racing wheel bent from normal daily driving did I blame Volk for having inferior craftsmanship?? Nope, that would be plain ignorance..

-Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Dan,

Anything cheap will have a big presence in any forum, why else are FNO1RC soo popular with 240SX guys? It also has that many Subies use 5x100 which is not a popular PCD for alot of aftermarket wheels but Rota makes alot of, which is how it got its fame. Ive never seen Volk bend with "normal driving", unless your normal driving is over a manhole on a street. If that was the case, imagine a Rota over that same manhole. Like i stated in my original post i never said all replica's suck. There are some things in this world that doesnt require "first hand experience" to know what sucks though. Kind of like if i were told you to stick a bat where the sun don't shine, you dont need first hand experience to know thats gonna hurt.

Im done with this thread, go on and keep selling those wheels....

Thanks for making my point..

If you go on the Subaru forums you will find Rota has a HUGE presence on the forums. Search Rota there and you will find tons of threads and the majority of Subaru's running Rota wheels. Here's a recent thread where people voiced their opinion about the wheels

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=rota

One of my car's is an Impreza and I'm extremely active on the Subaru forums. Rota wheels are very common there and everyone loves them. If you go back to some previous posts in this thread you will see the top Subaru Time Attack team (GST Motorsports) is running Rota wheels

You also mention the Nissan forums.. There has been maybe 1 thread in the past where people made negative comments about Rota's for no reason and it was the same exact people as this thread. Negative comments coming from people who have never owned Rota's and who have no first hand experience. Even this thread has no merit as the wheel was damaged due to very low tire pressure and then hitting a pothole.

I'm sorry but your comments are not justified. When my Volk Racing wheel bent from normal daily driving did I blame Volk for having inferior craftsmanship?? Nope, that would be plain ignorance..

-Dan
Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 PM
scmtkings4

i dont understand why theres so much hate for Rota in this thread?

for all the guys that dont like it, go ahead. Dont like it. Why must you come in here and start all this?

for the guys that do like, go ahead. Like it.

sheeesh. all you guys are acting like little babies right now
Old 07-06-2008, 03:27 PM
zcaveman69

Sweet Dan, you just got permission to sell more wheels!

I'm a daily driver. To and from work, and around town, nothing insane like drifting, most likely not even a burnout, definately not a day at the drag strip, but quite possibly a track day in september. I'm also an educated consumer. A better than average paid consumer at that. I can afford Volks, Works, Nismo, Rays etc etc, but chose to purchase a set of Rota's. They look great, I'm VERY familiar with the negative comments about the manufacturer, but look completely through what a bunch of people on the net type in between playing their video games or whatever it is some of you do when you're not spending tons of cash on mods for your Z, they look great, some are phuckin awesome looking, and I respect that you've put tons of time and most likely hard earned money towards that, but for some, like me, have multiple other outlets for cash, a boat, sportbikes, dirtbikes, mortgage, travel, and ofcourse the outrageous bar tabs

If some after reading your opinions on a certain wheel then go out and still buy that wheel, and then complain, well thats their problem and they have to live with it, but to constantly bash a certain manufacturer of a certain product day in and day out becuase they're not as expensive? That's kind of a sham, and some need to get over it. Is it because Rota has taken business away from some causing them to be bitter? Is it because some guys sell Nismo wheels at a fraction of what of others charge? I called about a set of LMGT4's, was going to purchase those untill I saw the Rotas. But when I heard the first guys price (who has also posted in this thread) for the Nismos compared the price of that guy on ebay, I was like WTF?

A week in on the Rotas, I'm happy with them, they look great, and I'm still alive, no tragic accidents liked some lead you to think, if there was a major problem with them, the American Government would step in, similar to the way they with faulty tires.

I'll be buying another set of wheels at some point, but for now I'm more than OK with the Rotas, also, when I do go purchase new wheels, it won't be from some that have posted in this thread bashing a product with zero first hand experience.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

omg kids...that's enough.