Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheeldude and Misc Rim/Tire Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009 | 09:35 AM
Roper215

Default Wheeldude and Misc Rim/Tire Package

Ok, so I am thinking about getting

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=5722
9.5's all the way around but in Hyper Black...

I believe wheeldude recommended 255/40/18 F & 275/40/18 R and I am going to purchase Nitto Invo.

I like the new Grids and I like the Torque both in Hyper Black, I just wanted to see the Grids on a 350 as opposed to a EVO X like on Wheeldude.com.

I understand that Invo tires are for ulta high/high performance summer tires.

I live in an area that gets snow maybe four times a year and only lasts for a day or so, the typical accumulation is at most 1", how will these tires handle compared to stock Bridgestone tires in the snow?

Does anyone have any pics w/ the grids on the 350z?

Are there any disadvantages of having 9.5's all the way around as opposed to 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2009 | 09:47 AM
davidv

Before buying tires check these test results: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=tires
Old 01-12-2009 | 09:50 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by Roper215

Are there any disadvantages of having 9.5's all the way around as opposed to 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears?

Thanks
8.5 fronts and 9.5 rears offers a greater range of tire options.
Old 01-12-2009 | 09:58 AM
Roper215

Default Nitto

I'm more or less completely confused about which tires to purchase...

A lot of people do not like the stock rubber on the 07-08, but I don't have all that many complaints about them.

The reviews on tirerack and discount tire and all the other major places can be ambiguous, the cars tested aren't Z's and the opinion of one person compared to my impressions can be completely different, for the most part the opinions of people on this forum seem solid... but still I'm confused.

I just want a good tire, I live in Western North Carolina and it snows very infrequently in any amount...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciate.
Old 01-12-2009 | 11:43 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

I just swapped my INVO's out last month, the only reason is I needed tires and couldn't wait for INVO's to come in. Great tires, i wouldn't recomend for snow, they will be the same as the stock tires on snow, but are ******* awsome when it comes to wet performance.

9.5 front , gives you a much better tire selection, you can run the 255/40 or 275/35 front tire VS the 245/40 that will add extra understeer to our already understeering car.
Old 01-12-2009 | 12:19 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

the Grids are nearly identical to TE37 in 18" with aggressive offset.. there is quite a few members on this forum with 18" TE37s, and you'll get an idea what the GRIDs would look like on a Z..
Old 01-12-2009 | 02:41 PM
Beau

If you want staggered tires, get staggered wheels. I second the Grid's. Also check out the SVN's.
Old 01-12-2009 | 02:44 PM
Roper215

Default TPMS

Ok, so I was going to buy 4 new electronic valve stems to go with the new rims...

If I remove the stock rims and tires that have the electronic valve stems programmed into the cars, I will have to get the new ones programmed into the car as well... Or is this not the case?

How much does this cost at a stealership and/or can I do it myself? I assume I cannot.

I read about it in the 100 most common questions post, but the cost and how-to was not addressed, just curious.
Old 01-12-2009 | 04:11 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Ok, so I was going to buy 4 new electronic valve stems to go with the new rims...

If I remove the stock rims and tires that have the electronic valve stems programmed into the cars, I will have to get the new ones programmed into the car as well... Or is this not the case?

How much does this cost at a stealership and/or can I do it myself? I assume I cannot.

I read about it in the 100 most common questions post, but the cost and how-to was not addressed, just curious.
you will need to put the stock TPMS sensor on the new wheel in the same locations (i.e. stock driver side front with new driver side front) else you will need to take into dealer for pre-program which could cost you upwards of $75-100 depending on dealer. they have to use Consult II and RF signaler to reprogram the TPMS sensors...

you can pick up used sensors on this forum for relatively cheap, HOWEVER, if you were to get new sensors and reprogram it to the car, your old stock set, will need to be pre-programmed if you want to run the stock set again.
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:21 PM
WheelDude.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Ok, so I am thinking about getting
http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=5722
9.5's all the way around but in Hyper Black...

I believe wheeldude recommended 255/40/18 F & 275/40/18 R and I am going to purchase Nitto Invo.

I like the new Grids and I like the Torque both in Hyper Black, I just wanted to see the Grids on a 350 as opposed to a EVO X like on Wheeldude.com.

I understand that Invo tires are for ulta high/high performance summer tires.

I live in an area that gets snow maybe four times a year and only lasts for a day or so, the typical accumulation is at most 1", how will these tires handle compared to stock Bridgestone tires in the snow?

Thanks
The non staggered 18x9.5 +20 wheels will work well with a staggered tire setup. This is a very common setup 350Z's run and will handle well with a bit of understeer at the very limit. The Invo's do run pretty wide for their size so they will fill out the 9.5" wheel with little to no stretch at all. Here's a 255 Nitto Invo mounted on the 18x9.5" Grid wheel (Flat Black)

If you get snow 1 day a year I would go with a nice dry/wet performance tire and just drive extremely slow for that day, carpool with a car that has all season's, or stay home sick for that day . If you get an all season tire for that one day of the year you will have less performance the rest of the year which is not something I would sacrifice if you like to do spirited driving with this car.

We are mounting a set of Grids on our Z later this week so I will have plenty of pictures of these wheels. Here's a picture one of our customers submitted of Matte Bronze (slightly stretched 245/40/18 all around as the customer wanted a rotatable setup).

If you get new TPMS sensors then you will have to go to the dealership and have them programmed, this is typically $50 from what our customers have reported.

If you remove your existing sensors you can install them on the new wheels but you have to be sure to label each sensor (FL - Front Left Driver Side, FR, RL, RR)

-Dan
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:32 PM
stylett9

Can someone explain to me why you would run staggered tires on non staggered rims?
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:38 PM
Roper215

Default tires

Ok, so I spoke with the Mrs... and she squished my rims... so I bought the Nitto Invo's and I am putting them on stock rims... not happy but given the current economy I really don't need to be dropping an additional 1200 for rims and tpms sensors etc... anyway...

As stated above, you said the tires are large? Am I going to have an issue on stock rims with bulge?

225/45/18
245/45/18

I got a good deal, shop is installing them and filling them with nitrogen, after everything said and done tax and all, I am looking at 850.00 so I feel pretty good about it... just no Rotas...

Thanks for all of the info I really appreciate it...
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:56 PM
=Cerberus=

Originally Posted by stylett9
Can someone explain to me why you would run staggered tires on non staggered rims?
Yeah i don't understand that whole concept at all. If you want staggered tires, get staggered wheels.

I am looking at this same wheel package and plan on running 275s all around.
Old 01-13-2009 | 03:39 PM
Roper215

Default VDC

Originally Posted by shyguy010
Yeah i don't understand that whole concept at all. If you want staggered tires, get staggered wheels.

I am looking at this same wheel package and plan on running 275s all around.
If your car has VDC you cannot do that without the car going nuts all the time, it will ruin the handling of the vehicle.

The tires have to be staggered in order for the VDC to not go nuts when you're getting on the throttle or going around corners.
Old 01-13-2009 | 05:57 PM
=Cerberus=

Good thing I do not have that to worry about.

Also it has nothing to do with the width of the tire, just the overall diameters. If it was a perfect world and you could get them the width you wanted at the overall diameter you wanted it would all work out.
Old 01-14-2009 | 12:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

If your car has VDC you cannot do that without the car going nuts all the time, it will ruin the handling of the vehicle.

The tires have to be staggered in order for the VDC to not go nuts when you're getting on the throttle or going around corners.
FALSE
he can run 275's front and rear no problem. The stagger we need is in height, not width.

275/35-18 front
275/40-18 rear.
Old 01-14-2009 | 04:07 AM
z2envy

I currently run the Torque's with Nitto Invo 245/40/18 F 275/40/18 R Rota Torque 18x 9.5 +20 all around. They are also hyper black. Tires are awesome dry and wet but no idea about snow since I live in FL...
Old 01-14-2009 | 05:56 AM
2fast4ya

what if you have VDC totally unplugged? thats my car-VDC is a pain in the
*** most of the time anyway-too intrusive and wears out brakes too quick
(that is what it uses to counter act sloppy driving and it cuts the throttle
back too)

i have been running staggered in the past and am going to square setup
soon for track days-hear it offers less understeer/push.