Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

SSRs too soft for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SSRs too soft for the street?

Hello all, my first post over in this section of the boards, but I did avail myself (multiple times) of the search function, so bear with me.

I have read (a LOT) of threads from the past, especially pre-2004 about the SSR Comp/Comp H and Type C/Type C RS and their lack of strength in surviving potholes/bumps/offs at the track, etc. But I haven't seen much of anything lately, especially post-2006.

So I was wondering if some of you guys are 'in the know' about these wheels, and if they've come up to snuff - fixed their problems with bending easily.

Reason I'm asking is I have a set for autocross/track use (Type C RS 17x8.5) but I'd also like to daily drive them if it won't be abusive - these wheels are discontinued, and I'd have to try to replace any damaged ones with a regular Type C, at a cost WAY higher than I paid for these.

I know I could get a hitch/trailer, but I don't have any good place to store the trailer. Also, I've traveled with race slicks in the car enough to know that that is only a last-ditch solution. I'd hate to think of what would happen if I were to get rear-ended with 2 tires in the passenger seat and one balanced on the bulkhead.

Anyway, sorry for the verbosity, and thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Soft wheels? Whats that about?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
guitarist

I don't understand the confusion.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

He means "weak" instead of "soft".

All high performance, lightweight wheels are suseptable to bending or breakage if you hit something like a curb or pothole. I wouldn't sweat it with respect to daily driving, track usage, autocrossing.

I haven't really noticed that SSR wheels are considered "weak" or inferior compared to some others.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 PM
guitarist

No one with even a passing grasp of English could have any doubt what I meant if they'd bothered to read the post.

It's not like I'd already covered the basics or anything.

I'm looking for direct, personal experience that dates from any point later than 2006.

But thanks for the help :/
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
World Famous Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarist
No one with even a passing grasp of English could have any doubt what I meant if they'd bothered to read the post.

It's not like I'd already covered the basics or anything.

I'm looking for direct, personal experience that dates from any point later than 2006.

But thanks for the help :/
Wow, Harsh retort.... not going to get much help with that kind of attitude IMO. But SSRs are pretty strong, I run 20" MS1 on my Z with obviously skinny tires and no issues even on rough CA roads.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 AM
spoolin_gt

i've been running type-f for street and track this summer. no problem so far. any wheels forged or not can bend if you hit a pothole or a curb.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 AM
stinky350z

mine r just fine , they feel the same as my old volks , i got the sp1s n they r just fine , n i drive fast and everything , great wheels
Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 AM
guitarist

Originally Posted by World Famous Z
Wow, Harsh retort.... not going to get much help with that kind of attitude IMO. But SSRs are pretty strong, I run 20" MS1 on my Z with obviously skinny tires and no issues even on rough CA roads.
First: thanks for actually responding to my question. Much appreciated.

As for the attitude, when I was nice and asked a pointed question (with background no less) all I got was a stupid question and a repetition of the basics of wheel selection.

So I figured there wasn't much to lose by pointing out that I'm already well aware of that stuff, and that I actually have a very specific question related to a subset of a particular brand's wheels.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:10 AM
ZKansasZ

my friend runs SSR on his supra and it is very strong imo
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The older SSR GT3s were known for cracking - SSR likely produced a bad lot that were suspect. The SSR Comps are a common wheel used for tracking. I use a set on my track car (I bought used from a local guy who raced with them) and a set on my Z32TT as a DD without issue.

I assume you'll run a 40-series sidewall on your 17" wheels? That amount of sidewall should give you plenty of protection from road issues. Regardless of the darts others have thrown, your concern is legit; given my experience with about 8 sets of SSR wheels from when these "soft" wheels were produced and discussed, I'm quite confident you can drive on them without issue with a 40-series tire for protection.

SSR GT3 cracks were "common" about 4-5 years ago:

Last edited by scotts300; 08-27-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
guitarist

Originally Posted by scotts300
The older SSR GT3s were known for cracking - SSR likely produced a bad lot that were suspect. The SSR Comps are a common wheel used for tracking. I use a set on my track car (I bought used from a local guy who raced with them) and a set on my Z32TT as a DD without issue.

I assume you'll run a 40-series sidewall on your 17" wheels? That amount of sidewall should give you plenty of protection from road issues. Regardless of the darts others have thrown, your concern is legit; given my experience with about 8 sets of SSR wheels from when these "soft" wheels were produced and discussed, I'm quite confident you can drive on them without issue with a 40-series tire for protection.

SSR GT3 cracks were "common" about 4-5 years ago:
Scott: many thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

Your experiences seem to mirror most of what I've pieced together by reading around the internet. Looks like whatever was wrong at SSR got fixed a few years ago.

And you're spot on about the 40-series sidewall. I might even go to a 45 for slightly taller gearing and a bit more insurance against bends/cracks.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

I have always heard good things about the SSR's. I have no personal experience with them, though.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarist
Scott: many thanks - exactly what I was looking for.

Your experiences seem to mirror most of what I've pieced together by reading around the internet. Looks like whatever was wrong at SSR got fixed a few years ago.

And you're spot on about the 40-series sidewall. I might even go to a 45 for slightly taller gearing and a bit more insurance against bends/cracks.
255/40/17s all around will give you about 4" of sidewall. I used to run those for tracking before moving up to 275/40/17s all around (too big for your 8.5" wheel). You could go 265/40, but there aren't many tire brands in that size.

Good luck, and enjoy the track(s).