Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

plug or replace--please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 PM
lindyku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question plug or replace--please help

I have a 2007 350Z Touring. I had two nails in my rear tire that were 8 inches apart. I was told by a tire store that they could not repair the tire because the nails were too close together. If it had been one nail or the other, they each could have been patched individually. I had a friend take a look and he put a plug in the larger hole. He tested the smaller hole (soap/bubble test) several times and could not find a leak but you can visibly see where the rubber has been nicked by the nail. He said I could try putting the tire back on and driving on it, but he wouldn't recommend it.

Do you think I should buy a new tire or try the plugged tire? The tire has 9,500 miles on it.

If I buy a new tire, should I buy the exact same tire that came with it? Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Max Performance Summer 245/45R18 for $239 plus install and tax. If I choose to buy a different brand, should I buy the same type (Max Performance Summer)? There are tires available for $160 from Falken. Is that a recommended brand? What's the difference between Extreme, Max, and Ultra High--Performance Summer?

I just want to make sure that I'm not damaging my other tires and car by having mismatched tires. I'm not planning on selling anytime soon, so I'm not really worried about how it looks or for resale right now. Also, I don't really drive fast, so I am not too concerned with handling for that purpose (only for safety). I currently live in San Antonio but could possibly live in a place with snow in a year or two. I don't really know that much about cars so please bear with me if my questions seem simple. I have pictures of the nail holes before the one was plugged if that helps.

As a side note, I also replaced a front tire AND wheel at 6,000 miles because I hit something on the highway. I replaced it with the original tire but this is getting really expensive! So, I have one front tire with 9,500 miles, one rear tire with 9,500 miles, one front tire with 3,500 miles, and a plugged rear tire with 9,500 that may need to be replaced.

Thank you for any and all advice! Lindy
Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
DB350

I wouldn't drive on it... but if you do decide to get a new tire might aswell get two, so its even, even though you said your not rowdy..

Plus, if you're maybe moving somewhere with snow, you're gonna need some winter tires anyway
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Thermal1

replacing them in pairs is a good idea.

If you are worried about cost, shop around. Tire sites like tirerack let you look at different tires in the size you want and you can check reviews and consumer feedback. Find a pair that is more reasonably priced if you don't want to spend $239+ for 1 tire. You can then order them online or talk to your local tire shop and get them to match prices for the tires that you like.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitively replace the tire. If you can, check to see if you can find a used tire of the exact same type to replace it. It would be cheaper and the wear would be more even.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 AM
ReelBigAndy

I wouldn't drive on a questionable tire.

ebay usually has a lot of used tires in common sizes (a lot with free shipping!). Measure your tread depth and find one with similar wear. Or save up some pennies for a whole set of all-seasons for the snow. I found that a dedicated snow tire is the best for our cars if there is any chance of .001" of snow or more.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
fatboy.yoshi

please dont go back to what's offered from manufaturer...re050a's suck ****...find something better
Old 11-21-2009, 07:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I would need to see the holes, but most likely i would plug and drive. My rear tire had 4 plugs in it shortly after i bought my car, drove like that for 3 months till i bought my wheels and tires.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I would drive the tire you have now. Reading your message it sounds as though the smaller nail hole isn’t all the way through the tire. Worst case is you will experience a slow leak. For sure the tire isn’t going to “blow up” on you while driving.

Keep a close eye on the tire and check its pressure frequently. If it starts losing pressure, I would suggest looking for a used tire that has about the same amount of tread wear. There are people with the same situation you are in, and some of them replace the tires as pairs leaving a good buy on the table as a used singleton.

I’ve used the same tire shop for years, and have bought used tires several times, mostly to match front and rears when one set is more worn than the other.

--Spike
Old 11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A plug done from inside the tire is an excellent fix.

That said think about how a tire works. Cruising at 70 MPH creates lot is heat. Pressure increases. Pressure will seek the weakest point. That of course is the plug.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Spike100

I’ve had several tires repaired by inserting a plug/patch over the last few years and never had a problem, even when driving on these at high speed.

If the plug/patch is done properly, it won’t fly-out but rather start leaking slowly. You are safe, even if you are on a road trip, since it’s mostly an inconvenience requiring adding air to the tire. Failure is typically a slow and easily manageable leak.

My concern with lindyku’s message is that his tire guy was not comfortable doing the second plug/repair. So, I’m not sure what is going on there.

If my statements are wrong, please correct me since a blow-out is potentially disastrous and could be very bad leading to even death.

--Spike
Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
lindyku

Originally Posted by Spike100
My concern with lindyku’s message is that his tire guy was not comfortable doing the second plug/repair. So, I’m not sure what is going on there.

If my statements are wrong, please correct me since a blow-out is potentially disastrous and could be very bad leading to even death.

--Spike
Hi Spike, the tire guy that told me he couldn't repair both nail holes works for a national chain (am I allowed to name it on this forum?) and he said it had something to do with it not being safe to have two patches that close together because it weakens the tire in one quadrant. He's not "my" tire guy...this is the first time I've ever talked to him.

My friend that put in the plug works on cars and motorcycles as a hobby and races motorcycles. It wasn't that he wasn't comfortable putting in the 2nd plug, it was that he couldn't find where it punctured all the way through to insert the plug. Also, he said that he personally would drive on the tire, but since I'm not an experienced driver like he is and wouldn't know what to do if it did blow out on the highway I should just get a new tire. He left it up to me and I didn't want to do something unsafe just to save money, but I would like to save some money! The fastest I would drive my car would be 90 or 95to pass on the highway but it's usually around 65 to 75 max on a weekly basis.

I'm not a him...I'm a her. Yes, I'm a girl and don't know much about cars, but I know enough to ask people who do know.

I'm going to try to attach some pictures. The first is of the two "holes" 8 inches apart. The second is of the plug. #3-5 are of the other nail hole that was not leaking (soap/bubble test). It looks like the nail went in sideways.

Thank you, Lindy
Attached Thumbnails plug or replace--please help-013.jpg   plug or replace--please help-014.jpg   plug or replace--please help-015.jpg   plug or replace--please help-016.jpg   plug or replace--please help-017.jpg  

Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Spike100

Hi Lindy, Sorry about the gender error. I should have known from your user name.

I’m looking at the pictures you took of your tires (nice photos, BTW). I see the plug (it’s in the more rounded circle) and the nail scar (inside the more elliptical circle). That would correspond to the numbering schematic you describe.

The nail scar looks minimal. It appears to be a “flap injury” that probably doesn’t go deeply into the tire. Looking at the picture, I doubt that this even requires a plug-repair. If fact, a plug would probably be a detrimental repair in this case.

I would drive on this tire and not worry about it. Monitor your tire pressure closely (you should be doing this anyway when running low profile summer performance tires).

--Spike
EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you have a damaged tire you have repaired (plugged), don’t run this tire as long as you would an unplugged tire. Replace the tire as a pair since you are doing the replacement when the other tire has significant wear.

Last edited by Spike100; 11-23-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: To mention that replacement should be sooner on a repaired tire.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just replace them.

Tires are not something I'd cheap out on.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM
zerostyle

i work at discount tire... and its kinda hard to say from a pic, but it LOOKS like its a too close and if its not its pushing it...i say replace the tire...you dont want to flat repairs that close, cuz your weakening the tire. if you get it repaired you'll prolly have a blowout.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:37 PM
ms350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see anybody mention this, but some places that sell tires like tirerack offer hazard plans that will replace your tire if it is damaged. As poor luck as you have had with tires I would say this might be a good idea next time you have a tire/tires replaced. If you keep an eye on tire pressures, like anybody should, I don't think you'll have a problem driving with the tire how it is. I have had several tires plugged over the course of owning a number of cars and never had a problem.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lindyku
he said it had something to do with it not being safe to have two patches that close together because it weakens the tire in one quadrant.
Agree. A hole cuts the belt or cord. Two holes may cut the same cord. Probability that the tire will fail is slim. However if it does fail it will fail here. The weakest point.