Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Fastie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels

Ok - I have searched many forums and need some help with this question.

My car and wheels: 2005 350z 35th Anniversary Edition - stock wheels nice alloys, also bought 2005 Track Wheels for Auto/x

What lug nuts do I need to purchase for my 350z track wheels? I also have the requirement that they are light and durable since the track wheels will be for autoX only.

Here are some pics of the lug nuts I have now on my Anniversary wheels. I heard from one post that they will work on my track wheels and that seems correct. But, what I see is that the cone on the stock lug nuts looks like a 60 degree angle. So, why can't I make use of aftermarket lug nuts.

I love the Muteki lug nuts and the idea of forged steel - seems durable for using often which I will for taking auto/x tires on and off and back again. But, they clearly state that these will nto work on factory rims. Why? the angle seems like 60 degrees as well - am I mistaken here?

Anyway, can anyone help me figure this out who has track wheels and what they used.

Pics attached: first is of my anniversary wheels (picture should be rotated 90 degrees), second is a stock photo of track wheels (rays forged made for Nissan as most of you already know - very light and look nice imo) Next is a closeup of the lug nuts on the anniversary wheels, I removed one lug nut and show two closeups.

Posted wrong pic of track wheels for a 2005 (the pic showing a silver Z is a 2006) - see pics later in thread for a V1 track wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-img_0146.jpg   Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-2006_350z_005.jpeg   Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-img_0252.jpg   Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-img_0253.jpg   Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-img_0255.jpg  

Last edited by Fastie; 08-28-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added some text documenting pictures
Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastie
What lug nuts do I need to purchase for my 350z track wheels? I also have the requirement that they are light and durable since the track wheels will be for autoX only.
If you're going to be using them for autocross only, then use a set of the OEM lug nuts. They are steel so they are strong and won't wear as badly from the constant removal and tightening. Expensive lightweight aluminum lugs nuts are not made to be repeatedly tightened and removed. Besides the wear and tear on the outside, the threads start to get sloppy and won't hold as well as they do when new. Lightweights are made for show.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Fastie

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
If you're going to be using them for autocross only, then use a set of the OEM lug nuts. They are steel so they are strong and won't wear as badly from the constant removal and tightening. Expensive lightweight aluminum lugs nuts are not made to be repeatedly tightened and removed. Besides the wear and tear on the outside, the threads start to get sloppy and won't hold as well as they do when new. Lightweights are made for show.
Would love to, but really don't want to pay $10 for each. I will keep looking for another source. The McGards I see are steel - so maybe they hold up OK. But, I will look for steel - thanks.

Also since I bought the 350z new - do you know if the lug nuts I currently have are OEM? And do OEM lugs have a 60 degree cone?

Last edited by Fastie; 08-27-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 AM
TehkMob

Would love to, but really don't want to pay $10 for each. I will keep looking for another source. The McGards I see are steel - so maybe they hold up OK. But, I will look for steel - thanks.

Also since I bought the 350z new - do you know if the lug nuts I currently have are OEM? And do OEM lugs have a 60 degree cone?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLOX-...item3cb8949f60

buy those bitches...
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
ShockStar

Originally Posted by TehkMob
damn those are some expensive lug nuts
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Fastie

Originally Posted by ShockStar
damn those are some expensive lug nuts
Agreed - very expensive.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Fastie

Default Follow-up Cone Style versus tuner

Ok - here is what I have learned from a couple of wheel websites. Nissan factory wheels use cone style - at least my 2005 does - both the track wheels and the 35th anniversary wheels. (I am 90% sure, but if anyone has knowledge that knows different - please chime in.)

So, aftermarket tuner lugs are good to go. I will be getting McGards - based on price and durability for removing and reinstalling often. I like the look of other tuner lugs better, but need the durability. I am getting black to match the car, gold only come in a set with a wheel lock that I don't need. But, would match the brakes if others out there have Brembo's in gold you may want these. Mcgard's site:

http://www.mcgard.com/AutomotiveProd...neDriveLugNuts

Here is why you want cone seat for NISSAN OEM wheels, others who have VW, Mercedes, BMW need ball style (called spherical). -- anyway read this - from:

http://www.bigbrandwheels.com/Can-I-...Nuts-Dept/267/

Wheel Tech » Can I use my vehicles original Lugs Nuts
Can I use my vehicles original Lugs Nuts

Can I still use my vehicle’s original Lug Nuts on custom wheels?

Many aftermarket custom rims (alloy wheels) are designed to use your vehicle’s original lug nuts or lug bolts, but not all of them fits. It may be something as crucial as differences in the wheel’s lug seat designs as shown below, or lug nuts outer diameter to fit into custom rims, or something as simple as shorter lug heads to allow the wheel’s center cap to fit well.

There are three types of lug nuts:

Conical Seat lug nuts (also known as tapered lug nuts)
Ball Seat lug nuts (also known as spherical lug nuts; round lug nuts.)
Flat lug nuts

The mounting surfaces determined whether the lug nuts are flat, conical, or ball seated. Most aftermarket wheels have Conical-tapered lug nuts design; while Mercedes have ball lug seats from the factory; Toyota and Lexus have used taper lug nuts for steel wheels and flat-seated lug nuts for alloy wheels. It is extremely important to use a right type of Lug Nuts or Bolts when install any custom wheels.

Majority of custom rims are “Acorn type of wheels” (as known as Conical Tapered), therefore you need a set of Acorn Lug Nuts or Bolts for its safe and proper installation. On the other hand, if your vehicle has a different type of Lug Nuts or Bolts, such as Audi, Mercedes and Volkswagen has Ball Seat type, then you need to have Acorn type of lug bolts or nuts in order to properly install your custom wheels. Even your vehicle is already made for the use of Acorn type of wheels, such as most American or Japanese vehicles, but you might not be able to use your existing lug nuts or lug bolts. The reason is some custom rims, especially tuner wheels, made the holes very small due to wheel design needed. In this case, only those lug nuts with hex-inside (Tuner Nuts) or Spline Acorn Nuts can be use. Please be extremely caution when using Lug Nuts or Bolts on custom wheels, if wrong parts are used, the wheel may come off when the vehicle is in motion, which may lead to accidents.

NOTE: Always keep a set of your vehicle’s original lug nuts or lug bolts in your vehicle. Just in case you have a flat tire and need to use for your factory spare tire, which must be installed with the Original Lug Nuts or Bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-ref-dp_image_0.jpeg  

Last edited by Fastie; 08-28-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Fastie, are you going to use your anniversary wheels for hoosiers? Just so you know...those track wheels are not legal on your car for CS.

Edit...you need the earlier V1 track wheels to comply with a 35th anniversary car.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 08-28-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Fastie

Default Pic of factory lug nut for Track wheels

Best pic I could find of factory lug nut - not sure why I have spline nuts on my wheels - previous owner probably replaced factory ones.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Fastie

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Fastie, are you going to use your anniversary wheels for hoosiers? Just so you know...those track wheels are not legal on your car for CS.

Edit...you need the earlier V1 track wheels to comply with a 35th anniversary car.
Here is a pic of the wheels I bought - I think they are legal CS - at least I hope so

The earlier pic was just track wheel photo I got on the web - I guess in 2006 they changed and were no longer Rays - I think my wheels are 2005 - please tell me I got the right wheels !
Attached Thumbnails Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-img_0259.jpg   Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-img_0260.jpg   Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-img_0261.jpg  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:46 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Those are fine.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a pic of the wheels I bought - I think they are legal CS - at least I hope so

The earlier pic was just track wheel photo I got on the web - I guess in 2006 they changed and were no longer Rays - I think my wheels are 2005 - please tell me I got the right wheels !
Those are V1 Track wheels. They are legal for your car for CS.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 PM
slc-350z

Have you tried going to a local wheel shop to see if they have any used ones? I bought a whole set of 20 for like $10 and they were in perfect shape. Since they are steel nuts, they can also take a beating from the impact wrench and at that price, who cares right?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Fastie

Originally Posted by slc-350z
Have you tried going to a local wheel shop to see if they have any used ones? I bought a whole set of 20 for like $10 and they were in perfect shape. Since they are steel nuts, they can also take a beating from the impact wrench and at that price, who cares right?
Great idea - I will try that.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 PM
StraySheep

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I ask here.

Can someone confirm if the RAYS DURALUMIN Lug Nuts or Nismo will fit on the 350Z OEM Track V2 wheels?
Also, is the shorter 34mm length sufficient for the Track V2 wheels?

Thanks.

Last edited by StraySheep; 10-03-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Fastie

Originally Posted by StraySheep
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I ask here.

Can someone confirm if the RAYS DURALUMIN Lug Nuts or Nismo will fit on the 350Z OEM Track V2 wheels?
Also, is the shorter 34mm length sufficient for the Track V2 wheels?

Thanks.
If you figure this out - I would like to know as well. I did buy some McGards and will check soon - but don't have tires mounted on my track wheels yet.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Fastie

Default UPDATE - McGard's a bit short

I decided to return McGard's. They are shorter in length than the stock lugs on the anniversary wheels. For the track wheels I opted with open ended lugs - not good for a daily driver due to lug being exposed to elements, but will work fine for my track needs. I went with a steel forged open ended tuner lug - Gorilla and Muteki are examples. I liked the Muteki in Red Chrome - visually I'll be able to see quickly if they are on the car and I like the forged steel for extra durability over an aluminum lug for taking on and off the car at autocross events. Being open ended - no need to worry about length which still seems to be a mystery for me. Wish Nissan would have had more info on this in their parts catalog - shame on them.

Hope this info helps - didn't think buying lug nuts would be so difficult to find the right ones.

If anyone else finds the perfect lug nuts for the track wheels and OWNS track wheels for their Z - PLEASE post your recommendation.
Attached Thumbnails Lug Nuts for 350z Track Wheels-41eqe71bell.jpeg  

Last edited by Fastie; 10-06-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

get the gorilla "system" acorn style lugs nuts. Steel and strong as hell.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM
defcon83

If you figure this out - I would like to know as well. I did buy some McGards and will check soon - but don't have tires mounted on my track wheels yet.

They will fit, but I had a bad experience with them and ended up throwing them out...
Old 06-02-2012, 02:43 PM
blisaacs1

Default No Solution but similar problem

My Z is a 2008. I bought a 13" StopTech brake kit (pn 83.657.4600.71) and it doesn't quite fit over my 17 x 9.5 RPF1's (even though the StopTech template indicated that it would). I think the best solution is a 10 mm spacer (probably Eibach). I use the RPF1's for track days with up to 255 width tires - run OEM 18's with tires that match stock otherwise.

I'm also running a KW Variant 3 suspension, lowered about 1" with 2 deg neg camber on the rear and 1 on the front. My problem is that my non-track-day wheel/tire setup won't fit on the car with the spacers - too close to the fenders, and a spacer that thin requires replacing the lug bolts.

So what I want to do is swap the wheels with the spacers. Do they make longer capped lug nuts, or am I stuck with a open ended?

Has anyone seen this problem?

By the way, my buddy and I ran the car so hard on a recent track day that we melted the slip sensors out of the differential, shutting off the ABS and lighting up every warning light. Still under warranty, barely, so will get it fixed cheap and be more careful.