Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Any idea if these BBS wheels would clear Brembos?

Old 04-05-2019, 02:53 PM
coop3422

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any idea if these BBS wheels would clear Brembos?

Hey folks,

I don't mind the stock 5 spokes on my 07 Z, but I wouldn't mind getting some new wheels. I've always been a fan of BBS, and there are some locally for sale. Specs are:

18” Forged BBS 114.3x5
Front 8.5x18 +23
Rear 9.5x18 +25

Fitment in terms of offset from my understanding should fit fine. I asked the guy what the model is, in case that comes into play for clearance. Here's a link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1424395783 .

Thoughts? The rear tires need replacing so I;ll be buying better rubber for them.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You are fine with the wheels you describe. I will only mention that an offset of 15mm would be better.
The following users liked this post:
coop3422 (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 03:35 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by coop3422
Hey folks,

I don't mind the stock 5 spokes on my 07 Z, but I wouldn't mind getting some new wheels. I've always been a fan of BBS, and there are some locally for sale. Specs are:

18” Forged BBS 114.3x5
Front 8.5x18 +23
Rear 9.5x18 +25

Fitment in terms of offset from my understanding should fit fine. I asked the guy what the model is, in case that comes into play for clearance. Here's a link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1424395783 .

Thoughts? The rear tires need replacing so I;ll be buying better rubber for them.

Thanks!
No idea on clearance, sorry. Historically, BBS aren't great on BBK clearance - surprising - but if its local, will the seller let you try one?

Either way, gorgeous wheels and nicely sized (and unless you're looking for flush,good offsets for slightly wider track over stock). Good luck!

Suggest you go with a 245/40F and 275/40R

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-05-2019 at 03:37 PM.
coop3422 (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 04:08 PM
coop3422

Originally Posted by Spike100
You are fine with the wheels you describe. I will only mention that an offset of 15mm would be better.
Fine in the sense they'll clear Brembos? Out of curiosity, what is it that lets you know? Just curious what I should be looking for. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MicVelo
No idea on clearance, sorry. Historically, BBS aren't great on BBK clearance - surprising - but if its local, will the seller let you try one?

Either way, gorgeous wheels and nicely sized (and unless you're looking for flush,good offsets for slightly wider track over stock). Good luck!

Suggest you go with a 245/40F and 275/40R
I would have liked a little lower offsset for a nicer look, but these seem to be quality wheels. Surprised BBS has issues with BBK, I would think a company like theirs would be friendly to things like that. Those were the tire sizes I had in mind. At stock height, I shouldn't have to worry about any rubbing at those widths or offsets?

Thanks folks!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Fine in the sense they'll clear Brembos? Out of curiosity, what is it that lets you know? Just curious what I should be looking for. Thanks!

I would have liked a little lower offsset for a nicer look, but these seem to be quality wheels. Surprised BBS has issues with BBK, I would think a company like theirs would be friendly to things like that. Those were the tire sizes I had in mind. At stock height, I shouldn't have to worry about any rubbing at those widths or offsets?

Thanks folks!
BBS makes a lot of wheels for race, aftermarket, OEM. They design wheels around BBKs all the time, however, older style BBS wheels carry over from the days of "the basket weave wheel that made them famous" like the ones you are considering. The original BBS designs didn't have to contend with wide or long 4-6 piston calipers for street cars, that didn't come along until much later in their lineage. Based on that premise, original BBS Mahle wheels had something of a flat backplane versus what people today are calling "concave designs" that allow for bigger brake sets.

In addition, BBS wheels typically had (maybe still have) more material on the backside where the spokes meet the wheel rim. That interfered with BBKs as well. WIth the advent of the "reverse curve" (concave design) made for popular FWD cars, their designs finally evolved. BUT, mostly for European fitments and they designed them around Euro brakes, which are typically a bit slimmer than that found elsewhere. Heck, the 8-pot Brembos on my Benz are a full 3/4" narrower than the Brembos or Akebonos on either of my NIsmos.

Not saying the ones you're looking at have the old traits but that's the historical look at BBS wheels for 5x114.3 applications. There's not a lot of them as compared to for Euro cars.

S'far as your wanting more aggressive fit... spacers. Easy fix. As I always say, "I don't like 'em but I use them."
Old 04-06-2019, 08:48 AM
coop3422

Originally Posted by MicVelo
BBS makes a lot of wheels for race, aftermarket, OEM. They design wheels around BBKs all the time, however, older style BBS wheels carry over from the days of "the basket weave wheel that made them famous" like the ones you are considering. The original BBS designs didn't have to contend with wide or long 4-6 piston calipers for street cars, that didn't come along until much later in their lineage. Based on that premise, original BBS Mahle wheels had something of a flat backplane versus what people today are calling "concave designs" that allow for bigger brake sets.

In addition, BBS wheels typically had (maybe still have) more material on the backside where the spokes meet the wheel rim. That interfered with BBKs as well. WIth the advent of the "reverse curve" (concave design) made for popular FWD cars, their designs finally evolved. BUT, mostly for European fitments and they designed them around Euro brakes, which are typically a bit slimmer than that found elsewhere. Heck, the 8-pot Brembos on my Benz are a full 3/4" narrower than the Brembos or Akebonos on either of my NIsmos.

Not saying the ones you're looking at have the old traits but that's the historical look at BBS wheels for 5x114.3 applications. There's not a lot of them as compared to for Euro cars.

S'far as your wanting more aggressive fit... spacers. Easy fix. As I always say, "I don't like 'em but I use them."
Amazing, detailed info here, thanks a lot. The guy got back to me, they are BBS RGR wheels, if that makes any difference. I'll do some reading later today, although I'm not sure what I plan to do yet. Appreciate the info though!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:22 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Sizing can be deceiving, a "standard" 350z sized wheel does not mean it will clear BBK. Wheel "disc" comes in standard, high, med, low depending on the design. High disc wheels are meant for max clearance for BBKs, the trade off is usually aesthetics. Low disc is meant for max lip where the face/spokes is pushed as far back as possible with limited brake clearance.
MicVelo (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 05:15 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Nothing personal, not a fan of that wheel set. I did have the "Lacy/Mesh" BBS's on my Mitsu bitd without any problems whatsoever. When I bought this 350, I searched for BBS's and found there's only one authorized distributor (Tire Rack, mb?) for North America. Ultimately went with Hyper Silver RPF01's (18") for $1200 plus tires. GL!
Old 04-07-2019, 03:12 PM
coop3422

Originally Posted by jhc
Nothing personal, not a fan of that wheel set. I did have the "Lacy/Mesh" BBS's on my Mitsu bitd without any problems whatsoever. When I bought this 350, I searched for BBS's and found there's only one authorized distributor (Tire Rack, mb?) for North America. Ultimately went with Hyper Silver RPF01's (18") for $1200 plus tires. GL!
That's a great price for RPF01's. Almost bought a set of those for my S2000 back in the day. In Canada, buying new wheels and tires is silly expensive so I'm more sticking to used options which really limits what's out there.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

That's a great price for RPF01's. Almost bought a set of those for my S2000 back in the day. In Canada, buying new wheels and tires is silly expensive so I'm more sticking to used options which really limits what's out there.
That was in US $ about 5 yrs ago. And the driver front Brembo had to be dremmeled ~ 2mm, the others were fine. Gl!
Old 04-12-2019, 03:03 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
"...BBS's and found there's only one authorized distributor...for North America."
Couple years back, went straight to BBS US (GA), had "a few telecons with the guys in the back room that knew their ****" regarding RIA's and they facilitated my order post-haste. Was a good experience, on price-point and zero hassle. European engineering, made in Japan, kick *** wheel-set. I'm probably one of only three guys in the US market running BBS on a Z these days, they're excellent.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:18 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by No_name
Couple years back, went straight to BBS US (GA), had "a few telecons with the guys in the back room that knew their ****" regarding RIA's and they facilitated my order post-haste. Was a good experience, on price-point and zero hassle. European engineering, made in Japan, kick *** wheel-set. I'm probably one of only three guys in the US market running BBS on a Z these days, they're excellent.
Great story, couldn't agree more, very well made wheels. IIRC I put about 45k on mine with no problems. Post-up a pic!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
Post-up a pic!
No, all I have is the same boring s*** you fellas have already seen. Already posted, nothing new to share!