Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

JIC coilover install question which way to install rear spring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 AM
tubsy3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JIC coilover install question which way to install rear spring?

I just recently put in a jic coilover setup into my z but had a question to ask the people that have this setup in their car. For the rear springs the way I have it set up like in these pics below. But I have the oem cone rubber thing at the top instead of that little rubber ring. I did not get that rubber ring when I got my coilovers. Is this how all you other jic people have the rear springs in? My friend jsut installed HKS and they have the metal tophat looking thing at the top and use the oem rubber piece for the bottom of the spring so now I am confused.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're asking about the bottom part where the spring sits... yes, it's like that, metal on metal. My friend has the same coilovers and his is like that too. At first he was confused because it looks like it might slip off so he talked to the owner of JIC Usa at a car show and he verified the installation.

One thing I would do is take the rubber boot off your stock struts and put it on your Jic struts. It looks really prone to damage and dust. You don't want it to start leaking after only a few hundred miles.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 AM
izmir41500

please excuse my terminology as i'm not familiar with the names of all the parts.

i believe yours is upside down. the springmount (cone rubber) at the top goes into the metal collar (top hat with the 2 collars) where you adjust the height. the your spring should sit in the oem rubber spring thing in the spring bucket (bottom). at least, that's how my tein basics are.

there's no way the adjustments go in the spring bucket. it doesn't make any sense. if it's metal on metal, there will be corrosion, there is nothing to hold it in place, and you have to remove parts other than wheels to adjust the height.

were there not instructions? you can get the assembly drawings off the tein website for reference.

Last edited by izmir41500; 09-10-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 AM
tubsy3

Yea these pics were from jic. So I thoguht that the install is fine how I have it. But then others like the guys who posted right after say its wrong. Which kinda makse sense since putting them in like this you cant even adjust the spring anymore if you wanted to. No idea what to do....

But also instead of that tiny rubber ring i have the oem cone at the top of the spring. Is this totally wrong? Should I contact jic to get one of the small rings they used in their install?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
tubsy3

Originally Posted by izmir41500
please excuse my terminology as i'm not familiar with the names of all the parts.

i believe yours is upside down. the springmount (cone rubber) at the top goes into the metal collar (top hat with the 2 collars) where you adjust the height. the your spring should sit in the oem rubber spring thing in the spring bucket (bottom). at least, that's how my tein basics are.

there's no way the adjustments go in the spring bucket. it doesn't make any sense. if it's metal on metal, there will be corrosion, there is nothing to hold it in place, and you have to remove parts other than wheels to adjust the height.

were there not instructions? you can get the assembly drawings off the tein website for reference.

FOr the jic ones the metal collar does not allow you to fit the rubber cone into it like the tien ones. My brother has tien and saw that the collars were different. This is why i was so confused lol. Jic site doesnt have install directions on the site either . I got them used so no instructions.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
first350

the install in your pics looks correct - I have it installed the same way. Adjusting the rear height is a PITA b/c you have to remove the spring, but that's the way it's designed. (the heigh adjustment portion has a hole in the middle where you secure it to the lower OE bucket portion.)
Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Devil Z

I don't have the rubber things against the springs. 6k miles no issues whatsoever . . . . plus I couldn't even get the rubber things to fit. So I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:36 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by tubsy3
But I have the oem cone rubber thing at the top instead of that little rubber ring. I did not get that rubber ring when I got my coilovers.
which "rubber ring" are you referring to?
Old 12-29-2007, 04:34 PM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

hows the ride height in the rear for you guys? my rear looks like it set it as high as it can go and it still looks slammed
Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

i still want to know about the rubber ring. anybody?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 AM
rookie

Pretty sure he means the upper spring mount as the rubber cone piece.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in late 2003 or early 2004 we did have a owner here that modifed his oem upper spring seat to work with the jic parts. Unfortunately, when I found the original post awhile back the pictures links no longer worked and even though I did save the pictures on my computer, I can't find my copies. How thick is the rubber part Jic provides?

Shame the Jic design runs the height adjustment system hidden in the lower control arm.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 AM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Back in late 2003 or early 2004 we did have a owner here that modifed his oem upper spring seat to work with the jic parts. Unfortunately, when I found the original post awhile back the pictures links no longer worked and even though I did save the pictures on my computer, I can't find my copies. How thick is the rubber part Jic provides?

Shame the Jic design runs the height adjustment system hidden in the lower control arm.
the owner of JIC still runs that setup, it can be done but he did not recomend it to anyone without spot welding more support into the top of where the rear shock mounts.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

spot welding the top of the rear shock mount? you mean where the shock meets the chassis? why would the oem upper spring seat have to be modified? now you guys got me really confused...
Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

adding the spring onto the rear shock provides more pressure where the it connects up top. without spot welding theres chances of damaging something
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

are you referring to a true coilover setup?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

well, i just spoke to paul over at JIC, and for the OP, what is pictured is the correct way to install the spring. don't use the stock rubber pieces. the rubber ring is to ensure that the spring doesn't pop out so it is necessary. a hole is drilled through the lower spring perch and is bolted down.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 AM
nachospizza

Hi n1ck I also having problem installing the rear springs... mind tell me if I install the 12K rear spring from JIC can I still use the OEM Cone shape Rubber seat? Can the purple JIC spring fit into that OEM Cone Rubber seat at the top??? What about the lower Rubber seat? Thank you very much I installed everything except the rear set of springs!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by first350
the install in your pics looks correct - I have it installed the same way. Adjusting the rear height is a PITA b/c you have to remove the spring, but that's the way it's designed. (the heigh adjustment portion has a hole in the middle where you secure it to the lower OE bucket portion.)
a hole, and a bolt to secure it??? like this:

-J