Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

What's the official story on pre-order pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 12:11 AM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the official story on pre-order pricing?

What's the official story on pre-order pricing?

I thought I had seen a couple offhand remarks from people that dealers were *not* supposed (allowed?) to mark up the price past MSRP on a pre-ordered car?

I happened to find a dealer who could still order me one for November - but they wanted a $3000 premium for it. I told them no thanks, I'd love to take it off your hands, but there are dealers in Atlanta and NY that'll sell it to me for cost, and either would be a fun drive back. (to Florida) I didn't balk at the $5000 deposit they wanted, which I thought was pretty generous of me. Anyway, we'll see if the dealer calls me back. Doubt it, he didn't seem very interested in selling it, quote "we may have one coming in earlier, but I'm sure we'll be able to sell that for more." (sounds like previous pre-orderers had cancelled)

I'm surprised Nissan doesn't have an official policy on this - or do they?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:19 AM
jran76

Supply and Demand. Nissan "suggests" that they sell at MSRP, but if you know car dealers......

And I can say that beacuse I come from 3 generations on Ford dealers:-)
Old 06-07-2002, 01:37 AM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

Well, turns out it wasn't that hard. Found a local dealer that could get me one of the Januaryish allotment. That was fine with me, $1k deposit, no markup crap. Dropping the check off shortly.

Only "bad" news was that the dealer strongly frowned upon doing anyother other than either 1) selling the car to me or 2) taking it back and selling it himself. IE I could not give up my spot in line to someone else. That sucks, not because I'm setting out to sell my spot, but in the event that I changed my mind, wanted to wait for the convertable, etc - would not be able to just "hand it off" to a fellow Z nut.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:28 AM
john0213

now Canada is the real place for buying car on MSRP, they really mark the price all the same in all dealer and they will never try to rip u off~
Old 06-07-2002, 06:32 AM
dvlad

i got mine below MSRP

So you can do it. You just have to say your not paying above MSRP. I don't know if you could get away with that so late in teh game, but i did.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:33 AM
chicago_z

I was told by the dealer I went with that they were not 'ALLOWED' to sell above or below MSRP... but he said that he has heard of dealers charging more and only writing the MSRP price on the order they have to hand over to Nissan.

again that is what he told me...

eithe way, I bought the last allotment from them and only had to put down $500
Old 06-17-2002, 06:03 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if that was ever confirmed or just another rumor.

By the way Z-shell, what color did you order and did I mention that Brickyard has been proven to cause acne, carpal tunnel syndrome, post nasal drip and Peyronie's disease in laboratory animals? (We'll keep that one to ourselves Rouxeny)
Old 06-17-2002, 06:09 AM
wxtornado

Talking

On the contrary, Dr! 4 out of 5 doctors reccommend Brickyard for their patients who drive 350Zs. Studies show that Brickyard has the same effect as rogaine, viagara, and ecstasy all rolled into one! Hairy, horny, and euphoric donchaknow.......
Old 06-17-2002, 06:26 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Z-Shell taken care of.....now, must work on this "Tornado" character. Seems like a tough nut to crack. Perhaps the old "Brickyard contains nuclear radiation" ploy, or maybe the ever-popular "Brickyard metallic flecks are actually very small extra terrestrial beings that will take over the minds of all who drive it" offensive. HHHHMMMMMMMMM, it's back to the la-BOR-atory for me.