Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Seriously, how hard is it to spin out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:33 PM
JThrilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously, how hard is it to spin out?

I'm sorry to get post happy tonight, but I'm pretty serious about buying a Z tomorrow.

People are talking about how important VDC is like this car will totally lose it in the rain or with a little snow on the ground without VDC. Is this true? I'm starting to feel like I"m getting into a death trap without the VDC.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Amnbex

It's actually pretty hard to spin out in the Z as it loses traction very gradually and lets you know that you're getting close to the limits way before you hit them, unlike other more "hardcore" cars like the S2K.

That being said, 280+ hp and 260+ torque is enough to get you in trouble if you don't know the car, get used to it first in an empty lot, test of the limits of adhesion, etc...

And for God's sake, get rid of the stock tires.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:42 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Yeah and have good tire tread and don't drive too fast in the rain.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:48 PM
ohw

The Z is no more or no less a death trap compare to any other cars. It does have a very high limit when the road is dry and the air is warm. The limit changes when it goes wet and cold. Drive according to the road condition. Don't go stupid fast when the road is slippery, just like you are driving, say, a mini van. You'll be fine.

In terms of spinning out, any RWD will have a tendency for the back end to come out when it losses traction. Both VDC and TCS can reduce this tendency and make it safer. Learn to become a better driver, learn how to handle a RWD at the limit as soon as you can.

Most important, enjoy the Z.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:22 PM
derek173

If this is your first RWD car get VDC!! If you drive in the Snow/Ice Get VDC!!!!

My scenario.. christmas day (snowing) heading to working.... Escalade cuts me off (honestly don't think he saw me). A little too much brake ( I didn't jam it down), I started go sideways.. VDC stepped in and I was perfectly straight before I knew it.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Mantis3024

I love VDC. It has saved my *** countless times. Then again I hate it cuz when I slam it into 2nd and spin the wheels, it slows me down a lot. Its a love-hate relationship. If you're getting a Z, definately get one with VDC. I've heard of many Zs wrecked cuz they didn't have VDC or didn't have it on.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:36 PM
BigMoeTaki42

I would say if you will daily drive your Z, get VDC. If it's just going to be your weekend fun car, then you don't really need it. VDC is really useful in the rain or snow, but you should be fine without it as long as your careful. Good luck with the Z, hopefully you come home tomorrow a happy Z owner !
Old 03-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Beaker02

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
I love VDC. It has saved my *** countless times. Then again I hate it cuz when I slam it into 2nd and spin the wheels, it slows me down a lot. Its a love-hate relationship. If you're getting a Z, definately get one with VDC. I've heard of many Zs wrecked cuz they didn't have VDC or didn't have it on.
Agreed. Would not want to have the car without it, but do find myself turning it off alot. Then again, having to hit the button does put you more in an alert state of mind knowing one of your safty nets is gone. Used to drive with 80% of the time, now (after a year and a half) drive without it 80% of the time. Important to know your abilities and the cars.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 AM
alienx

All right, I have to be the disenting opinion here. Get whatever car you want. As far as VDC goes (I have a 6 speed, maybe it's different for an automatic), If you can't control your car on the road without it, you don't deserve a license.

And it constantly amazes me how many people in here buy a performance oriented car and then demand that the car be smarter than they are.

The Z, in any trim level, will not do something you didn't make it do!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:23 AM
JThrilla

Originally Posted by alienx
All right, I have to be the disenting opinion here. Get whatever car you want. As far as VDC goes (I have a 6 speed, maybe it's different for an automatic), If you can't control your car on the road without it, you don't deserve a license.

And it constantly amazes me how many people in here buy a performance oriented car and then demand that the car be smarter than they are.

The Z, in any trim level, will not do something you didn't make it do!

It's true that the car won't do something you didn't make it do, but the rain, snow, and ice will!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Amnbex

Originally Posted by JThrilla
It's true that the car won't do something you didn't make it do, but the rain, snow, and ice will!
No. It's still what you told the car to do.

The ONLY thing ice and snow will do is magnify any mistakes you make.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Lerxst

+1 for VDC. Even if you're a good driver and know the car, in panic situations caused by you, another driver, or unexpected road conditions, it's good to have as a backup if you lose it.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:40 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In snow/ice country I think its nutty not to get VDC.......its just not that much extra money.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:20 PM
10-35

If my roadster came with the VDC option, I would have bought it. The TCS will help from loing the tail in a turn, especially in wet conditions. It is stupid to turn off the TCS in wet weather, as you will constantly spin the tires. I have found that the car will typically go into an understeer before going into an oversteer. If you go into an oversteer, the Z is harder than most to recover from. Ie: tail will go completely around and whatever steering input you give it will have little results. I am not a race car driver, but I have been through many high speed driving courses to include lots of time on the skidpad. I am more comfortable losing the tail in a Ford Crown Vic than the Z, My opinion.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:14 PM
shimz350z

Does anyone know if the touring package comes with vdc? I know I definitely have tcs because the button is right there.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:30 PM
axxizzer

yes for the 6-Speed, no for the auto, so they want to kill us off by not giving us protection.

Damn you nissan and your AUTO hating!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:26 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan's package bundling makes absolutely no sense
Old 03-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Primaltone

I've 'lost' my car a few times and it was always my fault. If VDC is on, you don't get to have much fun with pushing the car. As soon as you lose traction, VDC will step in and stop the slide. Sp, I turn it off sometimes to make an attempt at fun. Once on a cool, dewy morning, I turned off VDC so I could fish tail through a 90 degree turn. I got very cozy with a guard rail but was lucky enough not to make contact. Another time it happened on a dry road when I gassed it very hard, once again with VDC off, through a sharp, slow turn. I don't blame the car at all, as I wasn't being too nice to her.

At the same time, I've gone through a 4-wheel slide more than once due to excessive cornering speed, and the car 'just dealt with it' whether VDC was on or not. In the rain, I ALWAYS drive with VDC. I paid for it, I might as well use it!