Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

5at?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:38 PM
jas142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5at?

How do you guys like the 5AT? Can you hold it to redline, or will it shift automaticly? Is it quicker then other company's manumatics?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 03:40 PM
CelticPride2

First off, welcome to the boards! When it comes to in-dpeth info on the 5AT, your best bet is a forum search...there's many threads discussing the specifics of its operation. In the meantime, here's my short answers to your questions....

First off, the 5AT in the 350z runs right up to the redline and holds it while in manual mode. In other words, it will not upshift automatically...it only moves up a gear when you choose to shift it. Downshifts, however, will occur on their own as you decelerate (stopping at a red light, etc.)

As for the quickness vs. other manumatics, it's hard for me to say...the manumatic in my Z is the only one I've driven on a consistent basis. I've used the steptronic in my father's E46 BMW 3-series before, but not enough times to make a fair comparison. Other forum members may have more insight on this.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a pair of bum knees/legs/feet thanks to the United States Navy so it's always an auto transmission for me.

The 5AT in the Z is lighting fast and I've heard it timed at 0.2 seconds - try that with a manual. The tiptronic is simple enough to operate and is smart enough to keep you from down shifting and blowing up trans. Modulating the gas it's simple enough to shift in the full auto mode too.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:28 PM
SteveZ33

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Modulating the gas it's simple enough to shift in the full auto mode too.
Can you explain to me how to modulate the gas to control shifts in full auto mode? I have seen this talked about before, but I just don't seem to get it. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:20 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I like cheetos
Old 05-01-2005, 03:45 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by SteveZ33
Can you explain to me how to modulate the gas to control shifts in full auto mode? I have seen this talked about before, but I just don't seem to get it. Thanks.

Steve....that is a tough question. The following quote is from a forum member named "Aggro Al"....resident expert on the 5AT......search on topicsby him and I think you will pick up a wealth of info on the 5AT......btw....I love mine....the following is why.....

The following quote by Aggro AL:

"....Nissan does a **** poor job of marketing one of the most advanced features of the Nissan 5AT.

The Nissan 5AT, like it's been mentioned before, is a real-time driver adaptive transmission. There are not many transmissions that have this capability. Most transmissions that they call driver adaptive are really driver selectable or fixed shift profiles. They don't really adapt but they have various shift profiles for different duties. Many basic torque converter based ATs will have at least 2 settings. A power setting that optimizes torque and a economy setting that maximizes mileage. Even the F1-Type auto transmission have several settings for different types of driving conditions (ie BMW's Drivelogic) but these need to be set by the driver manually. The more advanced Tiptronic-type auto tranmissions also have several profiles that have learning algorithms that remember and learn how the driver and the vehicle interact in different driving enviroments and situations. Most Tiptronic-type transmissions use a very basic algorithm and applies fixed shift profiles to the transmission controls. This is very similar to how the F1-type transmissions work. The only difference is that the transmission will pick and change the profile for you automatically instead of the driver having to select it manually. (One notable exception will be the BMW SMGIII. It will have automatic profile selection like the lower end Tiptronic-types.) Nissan employed a learning algorithm in the 5AT that will allow the transmission controls to work with the engine controls and truly learn how the driver and the environment react in real time. It constantly monitors various conditions and driver reation and adapts to the situation. One of the features that these high-end driver adaptive transmissions have over its predecessors is the ability to make simple judgement calls. In stead of having the transmission change to only to true/false statements it can use fuzzy logic to also understand mostly true/mostly false statments and change accordingly.

The biggest advantage to driver adaptive transmissions is that the transmission and the driver become synchronised. Many MT drivers comment about the control the driver has over a the transmission but, the driver adaptive system takes it one step further. Once the system adapts to you and you drive it properly, you can almost shift gears by thought. It sort of hard to explain unless you have one of these types of transmissions and really use it. ........."
Old 05-01-2005, 05:51 AM
kpiskin

I really wanted the 6mt and wasn't bad using it. I really don't see the difference in acceleration between the manual and the auto. I ended up with an auto after I found a Z that had everything else I wanted including a very good price. As far as I'm concerned, the auto is at least equal or superior to most other 6mts because in order to beat it, the other driver must shift perfectly each time. The auto does it for you, but you also have a level of control if you desire with the tiptronic. I've used the shift gate a number of times and it works really well in unpredictable conditions. Under normal conditions, I leave it in auto.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Best mod you can do to a 5at is the 3.5 Final Drive Gear and Stillen Valve Body!
Old 05-01-2005, 02:27 PM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
Best mod you can do to a 5at is the 3.5 Final Drive Gear and Stillen Valve Body!
....I'll add one more....increase the stall RPM on your torque converter....

I'm goin' with these guys........

http://www.protorque.com/prodln/pl.htm
Old 05-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference in 1/4 mile times between the MT and the AT is only .1-.2 seconds. Good drivers in the AT can almost run equal to that of the MT. If its easier for you, do it!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by jas142
How do you guys like the 5AT? Can you hold it to redline, or will it shift automaticly? Is it quicker then other company's manumatics?

Thanks
I like my 5AT a lot. I was originally going to get the 6MT until the dealer got me to try the 5AT and I have no regrets. Both trannies are great, just go drive the car and choose which you like better.

When you are in manual mode, you can hold the tach at redline and the car will not automatically shift until you input the shift command. The Ferrari F1 will shift at redline even in manual mode which sort of defeats the purpose of a manual override. The downshifts in the 5AT are semi-managed. It will downshift automatically if you are about to stall, if you are about to come to a stop or if the TC needs to unlock out of 4th or 5th. It will delay or cancel a downshift if your command will put you way over the rev-limiter or you unbalance the car.

The Nissan 5AT is comparable to some of the torque converter based transmission used in some of the more exotic cars (Porsche, AMG, Aston Martin and McLaren to name a few). One of the transmissions that it is very similar to is the Porsche Tiptronic S. The Tiptronic S can perform shifts in ~200 milliseconds. For comparison, the Ferrari F1, which is generally considered fast, can shift in ~150 milliseconds and the average human eye blink is ~300 milliseconds.

Future TC designs will most likely have 7 gears and use simultaneous clutches similar to Audi's DSG which uses dual spindles and dual clutches.