Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bout to get the Z.. need some testimonies!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 09:50 PM
s9am_me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bout to get the Z.. need some testimonies!

i'm bout to get this car.. i'm looking at the Enthusiast package in White. so how does this car perform? Its either this car.. or an IS300 or a WRX. So how do you guys like this car? I test drove the IS300 and the handling is great on that car. I just want some opinions from real people.

yeah.. this has probably been posted heka times.. shoulda used the search

Last edited by s9am_me; 12-08-2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Shoots

These 3 cars are all very diffrent, with the IS being the slowest and nicest, the Z being the fastest, but only haveing 2 seats, and the WRX just being UGLY!

So what made you decide on these 3, the price?

-Shoots

BTW my car comes in at the end of Dec., and Ill be sure to let you know if you wish.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:30 AM
rai

I don't have one so I can't say how great the Z is. The Z has won C&D comparo and is on the new 10 best list. also won the automobile mag car of the year (WRX won last year or the year before).

All are good cars. The only drawback with the Z is that it is NEW so there may be some issues that need to be addressed. The other cars have been out for a while so the dealers will have more experience and the bugs may be more worked out.

Also the Z is a 2 seater are you prepared to live with that? And the Z is not a great winter car (the WRX has the edge).
Old 12-09-2002, 07:04 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

I have a Performance Z and I love it. There are some faults that I have found. It under steers if pushed hard but most cars do. This is fixable. You do hear rocks hit the inner finders but that is a minor issue to me. The sunshades are flimsy and proberly will break off in time. The looks I get are priceless! On the winding back roads here in Tn this car is a blast to drive. The gear ratios are well spaced for about every road I have encountered. My car has never been on an Interstate but I have read where some owners have stated the ride is rough. I do not know your likes or dislikes in cars but this one is fun to drive. Also there is not much storage space inside but then this is the same with any two seater.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:27 AM
rahilio

i dont know if you should be asking this question here were all blinded by the z. i guess you can take RAI's opinion on the matter hes not a z owner and knows what hes talking about.
you should go out and test drive all 3 cars then make the decision everybody has diffrent likes and dislikes i personally wouldent be caught seen in the fugly wrx(no flame intended its just plain ugly) my main reason for getting the z is mainly because i love how it looks and has a great engine. the 2 seather was a rpoblem for me so i just bought my wife an suv for her and the kids so that solved that hehehe
Old 12-09-2002, 08:37 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the IS300 is gourgious in my opinion, tho Im sure the Z gets more looks just cause of its shape and newness. however on power, the IS is weak, 210hp I think? its quick and handles good I guess. certainly the nicest interior of the 3. but for 32000 I think it is, it isnt up to the performance of the other 2.

WRX is fugly, thats subjective tho. its also cheap inside, makes the Z look like a mercedes, but I guess thats subjective too, and depends where your priorities in the car are. as for performance, great traction, awesome launch, and this leads to low times with low trap speeds. try 5-60mph and you'll get passed by most of the cars you could have beat from a stop. its also rather heavy from the design. can be modded easily. did I mention it was fugly?

the Z, its fast, a tad faster than an unmodded WRX. but if you mess up the launch, youll find yourself behind.its a better handler, tho it might lose to the IS300, it will pull out of the turn, and win in the straights. the WRX in stock form is not much of a track racer, its suspension just isnt up to it. the Zs interior has something to be desired, but I cant complain, it could be better, but there would be weight drawbacks. cost, great value, but it is more than the WRX, but you get more too.

hope this helps, this is how I decided, the Z just is slightly above average at everything. no real drawbacks on the whole car.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:42 AM
buzzdsm

Default WRX

The IS300 handles nice but IMO ugly. The clear tailights say "rice" to me. Next year when it get's the 4.3 liter engine it should be pretty impressive but pretty expensive.
I drove a WRX. Maybe I'm missing something but it just didn't seem that fast. I think the AWD robs a lot of the power. Also the interior is what you'd expect from a 15K car. The Sti should be pretty fast. I've heard that the gearing and the AWD give the WRX a great 0-60 time but once you get above that it starts to be a little doggish.
I've also considered these cars along with 99 MCoupe, S2000 (Steering wheel hit my knee), Lexus GS430, G35 Sedan, etc.
I think it's hard for car nuts to find a car because there are so many nice ones and we don't want to regret a decision. I usually end up getting something different every year anyway so I usually buy one a couple years old. I might make an exception on the 350Z though.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:48 AM
s9am_me

well i first looked at the WRX because it was priced in the mid 20k's.. i also liked the AWD + turbo aspect .. as for the IS300.. my dad suggested that to me since we have another lexus in the garage.. and the Z was because it looks to have the best bang for its buck (performance and looks). Plus, my cousin has it too.. and so far he has no complaints.. he's up here in the forums somewhere. The 2-seater thing might be a problem because my dad would want a more "practical" car. But... we'll see.. we're gonna check it out this week and see what happens. Thanx for them feedbacks
Old 12-09-2002, 07:54 PM
victory1

Default if you're comparing three different cars..

you're far from getting any of the three.. in my opinion you need justification to get the Z,(we'll help you) or you wouldn't be comparing it to a Lexus IS300 or WRX.

indulge yourself and be selfish. if you will be driving it to work everyday and no one will be riding with you, then you dont need a four seater. i always say "you're working too hard for your money and need to enjoy it."

your car shopping should be more like Z vs. S2000 or MR spyder.

or IS 300 Vs. Mercedes, WRX vs. Evo. apples to apples pls.

i do not mean to be offensive and sincerely hope this helps in your decision, but we're "pro Z here"

"no one in their death bed says they'd wish'd they'd spent more time in the office."

regards, vic
Old 12-10-2002, 09:17 AM
cabalisticfire

Z - New, and therefore gets lots of attention (atleast for a few more months). Nice balance of torque and HP, great handeling, not much space, decent fit an finnish. *Note: I don't own or have driven a Z, not that my analysis was very insightful anyway...

IS300 - Nice looking, good handeling, well put together sedan. More room and practicality. If you're in to modding then the turbo kits for this car are insane, check Peter Farrel's website. The problem with this car is that stock HP is just not enough for a "performance sedan".

WRX - I love this car, and have lusted after it for years. BUT, the awful people at Subaru have seen fit to spec this car with a tranny made of glass (or was it plastic?). The 5 spd in the WRX broke when it was in the 2.5 RS and will continue to break in the ?WRX. You can make a ton of HP but you won't have a tranny for long. The only way to go is to wait for the STI, which will be and absolute animal and the new style front end is much nicer looking IMO.