Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

'06 News

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Blue Komodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFaster
I think the z's now are tough to stear, could be smoother and easier...
It would help if the ratio was quicker than 15.9:1. I think the one on the Evo is 12:1, or 13:1!
Old 08-06-2005, 03:44 PM
dkny_boi

Agreed... i don't mind the effort currently, but a quicker ratio would be great.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by jdg345
Does TPS have to be calibrated in the new '06 units like it does in the '05 units?
Same setup.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by mc350z
i think it will look fine. that how my C6 came 18/19 staggered, except it is running 285's in the rears
I dream about the C6Z06 at night. Those specs, for that price.... I think I need kleenex.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:34 PM
jdg345

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
Hey, congrats man. With those numbers, it only made sense. Anything that you really like about the '06 should be an easy retro-fit. The cost may be another matter, but there's always the after market. I always say, "Don't talk about it, be about it". So props on getting it done.

Blue.
Thanks! Been shopping for a few years and finally went for it. Not sure the 13 extra hp makes a big ole difference really ... as it is, I can't find enough space to wind out the 287hp this one has ... 1100 more miles of breakin to go ... if I keep it that long.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:13 PM
spacemn_spiff

No. The bulb used in an actual projector housing is different from the bulbs used for reflector applications. In addition to this, actual projector lenses are much larger than the sudo projector lens on the current Z. What is current is an imatation of a projector set up, but not the real deal. The much larger bi-xenon housing will make far more effecient use of actual light. They will have a longer, wider, brighter and more true beam pattern, with a cleaner cut-off.
Lens size should not make it non projector. The closer the placement of the lens to the bulb, the smaller it can be or it can be designed for dispersion or narrow beam. I dont find anything about it pseudo.
Also the current headlight should be referred to as different design projector headlight that is not bi xenon. The housing design will also have reflector inside of the housing to efficiently redirect the light off of the bulb.

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 08-06-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 PM
dkny_boi

I think he means "pseudo" because it looks projector, but isn't a true projector... plus the fact that it IS pretty small. I don't think i've seen that small of a true projector on any car. Even the tl's is fairly small, but is double the diamter of the z's.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:05 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by dkny_boi
but isn't a true projector...
Can you please explain what is a true projector?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:10 AM
dkny_boi

My definition, or how i interpret a true projector, is a light housing where all the light is sealed off and only escapes through the lens.

So i dont consider the z's a true projector as quite alot of light is output by the reflectors on the side, and the lens seems like it's maybe only used for a sharper cut-off, and for appearance.

Now the z's light isn't as "only-for-looks" as the new eclipse (they have a blue-tinted lens suspended by 3 little pins in front of a large reflector housing), but i still dont consider it an all-projector light.

-edit-
Attached a couple pics, one of Z's light, one of TL's. That's how i view true projector anyways. And also, the TL's cut-off line is much sharper than the Z's... everytime i drive it at night, i get jealous at how much better/tidier it's light output is.
Attached Thumbnails '06 News-dsc03397.jpg   '06 News-dsc03398.jpg  

Last edited by dkny_boi; 08-07-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:28 AM
jdg345

My definition, or how i interpret a true projector, is a light housing where all the light is sealed off and only escapes through the lens.

So i dont consider the z's a true projector as quite alot of light is output by the reflectors on the side, and the lens seems like it's maybe only used for a sharper cut-off, and for appearance.

Now the z's light isn't as "only-for-looks" as the new eclipse (they have a blue-tinted lens suspended by 3 little pins in front of a large reflector housing), but i still dont consider it an all-projector light.

-edit-
Attached a couple pics, one of Z's light, one of TL's. That's how i view true projector anyways. And also, the TL's cut-off line is much sharper than the Z's... everytime i drive it at night, i get jealous at how much better/tidier it's light output is.
Funny you mention the new Eclipse ... doesn't it look just like the Z Coupe?
Old 08-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Blue Komodo

-edit-
Hey dkny_boi,

You beat me to it. Nice work with the photo's and explanation. Your post clearly shows the difference between a reflector, and a projector.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:28 AM
spacemn_spiff

Thank you for the comparison.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 AM
dkny_boi

Oh and jdg345... i don't really like the new eclipse at all, so i look at it as having the shape/lines of the 95-99 gen eclipses instead. I liked the concept, but something went really wrong with the front end between then and now that it looks too pontiac. I compared concept photo next to production once, it almost looked like they took the driver side headlight, turned it 90 degrees or so to the left, and mounted it on the passenger side... that's wat i think of the shape and it ruined it for me.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 PM
thrill350z

when does the 06 come out?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:20 AM
The Mike

HID low beam, and HID high beam from the same projector lens. It's HAWTNESS if you're into stuff like that. Especially since the curent set up uses a reflector and not true projector.
Ehh.. It sounds great... but one problem I see with that. HID"s have a warm up period. What if you need to flash somebody *say perhaps a slow driver in the fast lane* .. with a couple of quick polite flicks of the highbeam.... It wouldn't exactly be bright with hid's since it starts out kinda not so bright for the first instant. They get bright in about say... 3 seconds changing from bluish to white.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 AM
dkny_boi

Well that's the trick with bi-xenons. is that your light is actually already on high beam mode... there's just a piece inside that blocks the light so you project a low beam pattern. When you flash the highs or just turn them on, that block moves out of the way (very quickly, and on the TL, you can actually hear it moving in and out of place if your standing beside the headlight) to go into high beam pattern. I played with it on the TL for a few minutes the other night, flashing it on and off and it's very quick, just like a normal headlight.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Blue Komodo

The talk is late August, early Sept. I was told that some '06 Nissan's are already at the yard, but we're all trying to clear the 2005's and the rates haven't been released for '06.
Hey guy's,

Sorry, looks like production has been delayed. The cars are now expected later in the fall. I've noticed that others have been reposting this info. Does anyone have a photo of the Grand Touring Coupe
Old 08-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Blue Komodo

OK guy's, here's an update on Magnetic Black. I received a new paint sample today that's much clearer. It's a black base covered with a subtle oyster of pearl. The effect over the black is mostly a goldish, red effect. The red is pretty noticeable, yet subtle. Very cool effect.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:06 AM
lamaz

Hey guy's,

Sorry, looks like production has been delayed. The cars are now expected later in the fall. I've noticed that others have been reposting this info. Does anyone have a photo of the Grand Touring Coupe
My preorder states that the build date will be in September, with an ETA of December. Now with that said, there HAS to be a bunch of them stashed away somewhere that are already built because that dealer from Cali was able to show up in a 2006 for Stillen Day.

-LamaZ

Quick Reply: '06 News