Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Quite the delima, need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:51 AM
abyss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quite the delima, need some opinions.

I'v got everything decided on what I want when ordering my Z except what transmission. In my car accident the ulnar nerve in my right arm that runs from neck to pinky finger was badly damaged in my car accident in June and was told I may never have the reflexes to drives a stick even after the surgery I had done 5 weeks ago. Soo...I'm stuck deciding on buying the car of my dreams with a manual being the only way it should be purchased or an automatic. For you automatic users, does the Z still perform well? Like I told the represenative of the company who's driver hit me, not only did he take my car and my job in my accident he took my hobby and my fun.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:27 AM
lane myers

sorry to hear of your accident man.

i have the 6spd and i have driven the 5at, i really like the 5at, i found it to respond very well and of course a manual will typically be faster than auto, but i think nissan has done a good job with their 5at.

i would suggest test driving one or finding someone in your area with a 5at who wouldnt mind taking you out for a spin. i dont think that you will be very dissappointed. i was impressed when i tested it.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:07 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not review one of the recent “Automatic versus Manual Transmission” wars? There are several to choose from. I forgot who won the war.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:30 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen a post on a Zzz site about an auto driver complaining about performance.

Plus, a friend of mine had to get an auto due to right arm problems.

Go get an auto.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:51 AM
hypeiv

Sorry to hear about that... but this question pops up about once a month and turns into an all out war so if you use the search you can find one of the many theads that look like what this one will in a few days.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a GTR, so you can shift with your left hand.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:07 AM
abyss

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Get a GTR, so you can shift with your left hand.

lol i bet driving on the opposite side is awkward as hell. I did some reading through the 'war' threads on the Z forums and think I'll be just fine. If people wanna laugh that an auto can't be a sportscar like someone posted in another thread so be it. I plan on getting an HKS Supercharger when I get the money replacing the money I put into my old car, so it may not be as fast as a manual but it will still be stupid fast.
- thank you for your replies, its been hell trying to decide how to replace the car that i put over 25 grand into over 3 years and doing all your work by yourself you really grow attatched, my last 2 cars to decide from were the Subaru Legacy GT sedan for its style and sleek sleeper look and the Z because well just looking at that car makes you grow with desire. After going to dealer and looking at both in person I saw a black legacy that was very sharp but sat in it and whoa can you say stiff uncomfortable seats. So I went to the Nissan dealer here in town and saw a Daytona Blue Z and when I got inside was amazed at the feel of the seats and cabin. Being 6'2 it had lots of room and after I turned it on and popped the hood looking around I knew which car I was getting.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 PM
abyss

I finally found a Nissan dealer with a used Z on the lot today after physical therapy and asked them if I could drive it around the block so I can see how my arm feels shifting and it actually felt pretty good. I'v only driven a stick once in my life and am still real new at it but it really seemed to shift smooth for me with no stress on my arm. So I told this dealership I'll be ordering my Z from them for allowing me to put miles on their car, they really were nice about it. I hope the Z is an ok car for learning to drive a stick cuz the test drive made the conclusion that I want my 1st 6mt. As long as I'm not racing I shouoldn't have to worry about my reflexes in my arm being off. Final conclusion: Order 06 Lemans Enthusiast Coupe with Nismo wing and carpeted mats as soon as I get my settlement.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abyss
I finally found a Nissan dealer with a used Z on the lot today after physical therapy and asked them if I could drive it around the block so I can see how my arm feels shifting and it actually felt pretty good. I'v only driven a stick once in my life and am still real new at it but it really seemed to shift smooth for me with no stress on my arm. So I told this dealership I'll be ordering my Z from them for allowing me to put miles on their car, they really were nice about it. I hope the Z is an ok car for learning to drive a stick cuz the test drive made the conclusion that I want my 1st 6mt. As long as I'm not racing I shouoldn't have to worry about my reflexes in my arm being off. Final conclusion: Order 06 Lemans Enthusiast Coupe with Nismo wing and carpeted mats as soon as I get my settlement.

Congrats !

The Z is very easy to drive, and a good to learn on. The engine has enough torque you don't need to play to much with the gaz pedal, and the clutch if fairly smooth.

Send pictures !
Old 09-21-2005, 08:26 PM
rolling

well if you HAVE to get an auto the Z IS THE one to get!!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Z BOY

the ulnar nerve controls the pinky side of the hand and forearm, as i'm sure you know, and you don't use the pinky to shift, anyway.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:19 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Taught my son to drive MT on Zzzz w/o damage to car or his psyche!