Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A question for owners of seriously modded Z's.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 05:20 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A question for owners of seriously modded Z's.....

Did you buy your Z knowing that you were going to put serious $$$$ into modding it, or did the spending of money just sort of happen. I've also put major cash into modding my cars, but sometimes I wonder whether I should have just bought a different car. Of course, there is the inevitable fact that since modding is a hobby and/or addiction, I would end up modding any car I bought. I've spend $62,000 on my modded 350Z, car included, of course. Maybe I should have bought an M3, and put, say, only $6-7000 in mods on it for the same total amount of money.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:39 AM
Diesel350

Ya right!! You know if you would have bought the M3 you would have ended up spending even more money modding it. I don't think it matters what car you have (excluding exotics) the mod bug will bite you. It's like a disease.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:44 AM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Z not knowing that I was going to mod it like I was, Then i learned that the Z has serious potential, So then I researched which kit would be the best for me and fuel management and all that kid of stuff. And if you have spent 62000 dollars on your Z like you said... you should be more than happy and running in the 10's or even lower...30 k plus the car.... thats alot of mods, either your tuner didn't do it right or your setup is not accurate. I have spent a great amount of money and AM MORE THAN HAPPY with my Z!!!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:24 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the Z cause I liked it. If I wanted an M3, I would have gotten an M3. Like I tell people why say "with all the money you have into that car, you could have got something better." Actually, no I couldn't have. I wanted the Z, I like the Z and if I wanted something else I would have got it. I am very pleased with where my car is and the spring debut of my car is going to be the best, so be on a look out come spring time.
That's my .02 cents, granted I only have about 12K invested in my car, not counting the price of the car, IMO you buy the car you like, if you want an M3, save another year or 2 and get it.
BTW I knew I was going to mod it, but didn't think I would go this far before I got sick of the car. Had it a lil over a year, and im NOWHERE near bored with the car.

Last edited by MyV6IsFast3r; 10-15-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:13 PM
nickintempe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the underlying reason why I would never put much money into modding a car.

At $62k, that's getting close to the 'I can afford a Z06 instead' territory.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:08 PM
RVM

Yeah but a Z06, as fast as the 2006 can go, is still a Chevrolet. More specifically, it's a Corvette, and Corvettes are not exactly known for high quality construction.

I'd rather have a Zzz and drop $30k-$50k into it rather than own a Z06.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:33 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Did you buy your Z knowing that you were going to put serious $$$$ into modding it, or did the spending of money just sort of happen. I've also put major cash into modding my cars, but sometimes I wonder whether I should have just bought a different car. Of course, there is the inevitable fact that since modding is a hobby and/or addiction, I would end up modding any car I bought. I've spend $62,000 on my modded 350Z, car included, of course. Maybe I should have bought an M3, and put, say, only $6-7000 in mods on it for the same total amount of money.

I bought the Z cause I liked it. I did not plan on modding it at least not to this point but ...I really like this car. I'm also not close to being bored with it yet.

The Z may not be a super high class vehicle. I consider it crude. But thats part of its charm. If I wanted luxury or a higher class car I would have bought a Porsche, a BMW, or maybe even the G35.

I do question putting too much $ into though. I figure that I will never get it back out of the car but I suppose the day I go to sell it I will either try to fetch a fair price or I will try to part it out (or maybe both) depending on the factors in play at the time. Most likely I will lose my shirt on the sale either way but heck its a car, not an investment.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:58 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35ounces
I bought the Z cause I liked it.
+1

I did not plan on modding it at least not to this point but ...I really like this car.
+1

I'm also not close to being bored with it yet.
+1

The Z may not be a super high class vehicle. I consider it crude. But thats part of its charm. If I wanted luxury or a higher class car I would have bought a Porsche, a BMW, or maybe even the G35.
+1

I do question putting too much $ into though. I figure that I will never get it back out of the car but I suppose the day I go to sell it I will either try to fetch a fair price or I will try to part it out (or maybe both) depending on the factors in play at the time. Most likely I will lose my shirt on the sale either way but heck its a car, not an investment.
+1

I guess thats..... +5!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:28 PM
KingOfV6

Default New Mod, New Car

this car is japanese muscle, if ur anything like a horsepower freak, get a turbo setup, with that there are unlimited mods, so they question is how high do you wanna go? and if u do go high, learn how to control it, it becomes a TOTALLY different car,........i.E my brothers 94 supra was stock tt running around 400 hp with a couple of small mods and tuning....he upgraded to a single turbo.......AND WOAHHH it is a totally different car, i can vouch for him it is dynoed right now at 505 whp, 447 tq, tuned kind of down, due to the recent gas prices, the important thing is learning how to control it.
Now just my theory, put a turbo setup in a Z, push for 500 hp, since the Z is lighter, it will really be a different car.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:05 AM
bmxox

Originally Posted by D350Z10
...30 k plus the car.... thats alot of mods, either your tuner didn't do it right or your setup is not accurate.
I dont think he ever mentioned that he spent 30k in performance parts alone. Some people spend 7k on wheels and suspension or 2k on door hinges. Do it all and it adds up real quick.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Jaki

I mostly bought the Z because it was a pretty fast car in stock form. I planned on adding a few things to make it faster, but over a period of time. Now at about a year and a half of owning it, I'm close to pushing the power limits of the engine before rebuilding it. I never even planned on that when I bought the car... or at least I didn't plan on modding it that extensively so fast. Oh well, the mod bug bit me early on...

I also agree with the other people on here, no matter how expensive of a car you buy, if you're a mod addict, you will spend tons of money on modding it... and in most cases, the more expensive the car the more expensive the mods are for it.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Nismo 350z

I was planning on modding it a lil when I went to buy the car and do a lil things here and there. So after the standard intake,header,exhaust combo, I thought I was done. I thought the stock suspension was fine but then decided to go with the S-tune kit. Then I joined the forums and heard about plenums, pulleys, and HFC's. So yeah the mod bug got to me after I thought she was done. But I always switch rims and tires on any car I get so that was the 1st thing I did. Then you had to deal with cooling and tuning also.... the mod bug will never leave no matter which car it is.