Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Driving Technique help appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:55 AM
pedroosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driving Technique help appreciated...

I tried to play around on a very wet empty parking lot. Switched off VDC and tried to launch hard from a stop where the rear wheels where in a small puddle.

It's stock tires btw.

Nothing happened? I just drove off like normally in the dry?

It's raining here heavily and I am trying to drive safely in public, going by "feeling " for car slipping, but it feels like I am totally sticking to the road anyway, no matter how hard it rains.

Basically, I cannot see why people say that rain and z don't mix?
I can't even break the tires lose in the wet when I want to?

At this point I cannot imagine how you would do a burnout or donut.
But I am a total newbie for those things.

I have driven stick for >10 years, had driving classes ... When I was going too fast in my old FWD Honda civic hatchback 1981 (old car ) I sometimes would slide a little in the rain. When I go in the 4runner too quickly from a standstill (maybe still very slow forward roll), to reverse (AT), I accidentially make the tires squeak/hop sometimes. But in the Z???

I think I don't "launch" the 350z right. I mean it is mostly smooth. But so slow.... Basically I get it to roll a little before I completely let the clutch go and punch the gas, and that seems to take forever.
I don't remember having to even worry about clutch and gas with other non-sports cars. You would just do it automatically, maybe 1 second clutch press and gas let go, and you shift really fast. But with the Z, I still don't feel comfortable after about 1.5 monthes driving it.

And the funniest thing of all:
When driving with the 4runner AT, I am always first when the traffic light turns green. By the time the others start rolling, I am already at the next traffic light almost. (I am in Oregon suburbs, where people tend to drive 10 mph below speed limit, and take a nap at traffic lights or maybe shave or something ).

Now you would think when switching to the Z M/T that you would smoke everyone at every light without even trying. NOOOO
The Z brings the devil out even of suburbian house wifes????
I DON'T EVEN WANT TO RACE, and cars next to me at a traffic light go crazy.
Like SUVs and every day beaters suddenly punching the gas at the green light like there is no tomorrow!! And with my launching "technique" I have a hard time keeping up!! It's ridiculous...

I tried at a parking lot to just drop the clutch... I tried it just once, because I feel for the car and I think if you don't do it right, it really hurts. Anyway, all I got is the car to bounce, but no good launch either. Like a hicup.

Thanks for any consoling words of advice...
Old 11-05-2005, 10:01 AM
cessna

I'm just as confused as you are
Old 11-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 1,001 Likes on 761 Posts

do a 3k rpm drop. if you dont break the tires loose you may had a busted clutch(engine revs high but you go nowhere w/o spinning tires).

i can break tires loose in first from a roll, just go wot w/vdc off.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:49 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m a bit confused also. I don't quite understand the purpose of practicing maximum acceleration from a stop in the rain?

For handling and safety, the 350Z with NEW OEM tires is pretty good. When the tires have about 20,000 miles, that's when they get...ummm...dangerous.

And concerning dry pavement and a fast start, there's no way to judge “fast” or “slow” without some sort of measurement tool. I suggest that you go to the dragstrip, and scan and post your time slips in “drag racing.”
Old 11-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Vamos_Rafael

the thing ya explain dont really make sense lol
basically you rev you engine up
to at least 3500 then immediately engage the clutch you will be spinning ... if u dont spin something is wrong or ur not letting go of the clutch immediately
and in the wet... u will spin so easily
in my area suburban house wives usually give me right of way... lol
maybe they think meh young kid with a Z dont mess with him
actually i've always had right of way and never **** blocked in my uber rich suburbia... i went to NY and i got destroyed
lol
i think u need practice, at first when i got the car i felt bad about launching but then after a few tries it just becomes natural and u dont feel its a hiccup
=/
u see what im getting ?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:54 PM
itburns

You aren't giving it the gas. Don't be shy. Give it the gas.

Try this: turn your wheels to the right (or left), then rev to 3500 RPM, then drop the clutch. Weeeeeeee!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 04:10 AM
Vamos_Rafael

:/ rubber = expensive (new ones should be worn a lil b4 total destruction and obliteration)
if u have 17s go for it
if u have 18s wear your "shoes" until they become weary then kill it
Old 11-06-2005, 09:47 AM
pedroosan

Thanks for the replies...

I guess I wanted to get a feeling for the car trying to skid and so on. Thats why I was playing around in the wet on an empty parking lot.
But I just ended up driving normally which made me feel like an idiot.

Regarding tires I actually got a demo vehicle (driven by the dealership boss or something). So it has about 5k now on it. Nevertheless I don't want to ruin them yet, thats why I tried things when wet. but maybe I am just watching too many streetfire videos...

Yeah I think I probably just need more practice than 1.5 monthes.

So I am guessing dropping the clutch is never really easy on the car, but ok and needed for racing? Basically it puts a lot of strain on the transmission, is that right? I know that slipping the clutch is bad for the clutch, but how about dropping it with somewhere between 2000/3500rpm? Is that also bad for the clutch, meaning doing it regularly will burn the clutch much sooner?

How much does tracking your car usually cost? And I probably have to ask in the Region forum if there is anything like it in the Portland area.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:59 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by itburns
You aren't giving it the gas. Don't be shy. Give it the gas.

Try this: turn your wheels to the right (or left), then rev to 3500 RPM, then drop the clutch. Weeeeeeee!!!!!!

Thats the ticket to success!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:10 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pedroosan
Thanks for the replies...

I guess I wanted to get a feeling for the car trying to skid and so on. Thats why I was playing around in the wet on an empty parking lot.
But I just ended up driving normally which made me feel like an idiot.

Regarding tires I actually got a demo vehicle (driven by the dealership boss or something). So it has about 5k now on it. Nevertheless I don't want to ruin them yet, thats why I tried things when wet. but maybe I am just watching too many streetfire videos...

So I am guessing dropping the clutch is never really easy on the car, but ok and needed for racing? Basically it puts a lot of strain on the transmission, is that right? I know that slipping the clutch is bad for the clutch, but how about dropping it with somewhere between 2000/3500rpm? Is that also bad for the clutch, meaning doing it regularly will burn the clutch much sooner?

How much does tracking your car usually cost? And I probably have to ask in the Region forum if there is anything like it in the Portland area.

Thanks!
Thats why I was playing around in the wet on an empty parking lot.

-Doing figure eights in a empty wet parking lot is a excellent way to get a idea of how the 350Z handles. I also recommend a safe empty road in the rain to try out ABS.

-You may be a bit intimadated with the horsepower and torque. Practice makes perfect.

So I am guessing dropping the clutch is never really easy on the car, but ok and needed for racing?

-There are plenty of suggestions posted in “drag racing.”

How much does tracking your car usually cost?

-A profession driving class such as the one offered a Summit Point, WV is $235. Local SCCA autocross is free.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Vamos_Rafael

SCREAM OUT VEEETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK will make you go really really fast!
as seen here
https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-off-topic/151699-v-taaaaaaaaaaaaak-honda-civic-si.html
Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by jvanquish
SCREAM OUT VEEETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK will make you go really really fast!
as seen here
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151699

Oh J..... what would we do without you, my PostWhore side-kick????
Old 11-08-2005, 07:21 AM
paulsmansfield

in second gear, wet car park about 15mph i can get wheel spin and a nice slide / lazy donut.

I suspect your too shy with the accelorator, give it a big poke to break traction.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 AM
JSpecMugen

Don't be shy with the throttle... Listen to these guys.

Get a rolling start at ~15mph bring your revs up, turn the wheel and drop the clutch as you shift into 2nd.... Then just adjust throttle and steering to keep the drift going.

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!