Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

WTF, strange rolling around noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:30 AM
LSRoadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF, strange rolling around noise.

I am freaking out, I have taken everything out of my car to search for a noise. Sounds like a golf ball rolling around every time I turn, accelerate or brake I can hear something pretty heavy rolling around.

I have a roadster, I have checked everywhere in the trunk, took out the spare, opened the back part where the top would go, glove box, two storage bins, under both seats, and nothing, I cant find the damn thing. Can anyone help out, anyone ever had anything rolling around get into some place strange? Please help, it is driving me
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 AM
SB04

I had a golf ball find a spot in the trunk of my wife's old Camry where the decking had shifted just enough to all it to fall into the right rear quarter. Maybe have someone stand along side your car and listen to try and pin point where the noise is and go from there. Maybe a nut or bolt came loose from your rag top and is rolling around inside the roof storage area
Old 03-02-2006, 07:26 AM
LSRoadster

Originally Posted by SB04
I had a golf ball find a spot in the trunk of my wife's old Camry where the decking had shifted just enough to all it to fall into the right rear quarter. Maybe have someone stand along side your car and listen to try and pin point where the noise is and go from there. Maybe a nut or bolt came loose from your rag top and is rolling around inside the roof storage area
It sounds much bigger than a nut or bolt. I am almost sure that it is a golf ball, I think I remember finding one next to my car last fall and throwing it into my trunk, but I cant find the ball, nor can I find a spot that it could have gotten into.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:47 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Have you done any work lately that requires one of those stubby srewdrivers? I lost a screwdriver in the cubby hole behind my driver's seat. It's still back there somewhere.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:48 AM
angelzhope720

If you remember putting a golfball in your trunk and you're almost certain it's a golfball. Then I think it could be a golfball. Good luck trying to get it out. I've never taken apart my quarter panels before.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM
june

Default A no brainer.

Originally Posted by angelzhope720
If you remember putting a golfball in your trunk and you're almost certain it's a golfball. Then I think it could be a golfball. Good luck trying to get it out. I've never taken apart my quarter panels before.
I am very sorry, I am just a dumb ole broad I guess, but something just does not make sense here.

The Z's have carpets on the floors. Other than the obvious (look under the seats), the access panels and all the shrouds that cover any holes or compartments do not open by themselves. If "you" got into any of them or if "someone else" worked on your car since you bought it, that would be one thing, other than that, there should be no possible way anything could be in there that doesn't belong there, unless of course...you have a mouse that's made it it's home, or if someone left something in there when the car was being built. Now come on guys, let's be logical. The only way that a golf ball could have found it's way into those spaces is because you allowed it to happen. A no brainer.

...ok, back to cleaning house.
Attachment 98119

Last edited by june; 03-02-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:28 AM
LSRoadster

Originally Posted by june
I am very sorry, I am just a dumb ole broad I guess, but something just does not make sense here.

The Z's have carpets on the floors. Other than the obvious (look under the seats), the access panels and all the shrouds that cover any holes or compartments do not open by themselves. If "you" got into any of them or if "someone else" worked on your car since you bought it, that would be one thing, other than that, there should be no possible way anything could be in there that doesn't belong there, unless of course...you have a mouse that's made it it's home, or if someone left something in there when the car was being built. Now come on guys, let's be logical. The only way that a golf ball could have found it's way into those spaces is because you allowed it to happen. A no brainer.

...ok, back to cleaning house.
Attachment 98119
That is what I was thinking. I lifted up the carpet, took out the spare tire and still cant find anything. Here is the only way I could see it possibly happening. If the ball found a way under the carpet, there are two little square holes on both sides next to the tire, maybe, just maybe it is feasible that it is under there.

However I did find my packet that has the wheel lock in it in the trunk, the packet was empty, and I have never seen the wheel lock, I dont even know what it looks like. could this be a possibility? Does it weigh enough to sound like a golf ball, is it small enough to get in somewhere it shouldnt? And would it roll around in the back of the car?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by LSRoadster
However I did find my packet that has the wheel lock in it in the trunk, the packet was empty, and I have never seen the wheel lock, I dont even know what it looks like. could this be a possibility? Does it weigh enough to sound like a golf ball, is it small enough to get in somewhere it shouldnt? And would it roll around in the back of the car?
BINGO!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
june

Originally Posted by LSRoadster
That is what I was thinking. I lifted up the carpet, took out the spare tire and still cant find anything. Here is the only way I could see it possibly happening. If the ball found a way under the carpet, there are two little square holes on both sides next to the tire, maybe, just maybe it is feasible that it is under there.

Possibilities:

1. Remote chance: The tailpipes are short. Someone could have put something in there maybe?
2. If you have been inside your spare tire compartment then look for holes where something could fall. The only holes should be those that were intentionally put there for drainage.
3. Look under the seats where something could bump into the guide rails or seat frame.
4. Check the two storage compartments and DVD compartment behind you if you have one.
5. If you bought the car used, then there is a chance someone may have had the door panels removed.
6. Determine exactly where the noise is coming from. Have someone ride with you and help find out where.

Many years ago I heard of a guy who bought a new car with a nut or bolt that was left in the rocker panel when it was new. It drove his wife nuts because he couldn't turn up his boombox loud enough to block out the noise. He ended up having to institutionalize her, and went on to spend all the money she inherited. It turned out that the investigators from her side of the family discovered it was she who had it put it there in the first place, wanting to drive "him" nuts. You never know. Attachment 98122

If you never are able to find it, please don't let it bug you too much. Maybe it will become your lucky charm. Just keep your Bose turned down just a little...please.

Last edited by june; 03-02-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:41 PM
highside107

Funny you mentioned this.. I have a "weird" sound everytime I drive around too, but it's coming from the outside of the car. It's only in lower gears like 1st or 2nd and it's really hard to explain what it sounds like. It's not something rolling around, it's more like a 'chirping' sort of noise. I can only hear it if the windows are down.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM
LSRoadster

mine is something rolling around for sure. It is making me nuts, I have to find it. I bet it is the wheel lock, I cant find the damn thing anywhere.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 PM
june

Originally Posted by highside107
Funny you mentioned this.. I have a "weird" sound everytime I drive around too, but it's coming from the outside of the car. It's only in lower gears like 1st or 2nd and it's really hard to explain what it sounds like. It's not something rolling around, it's more like a 'chirping' sort of noise. I can only hear it if the windows are down.
Sometimes "chirping" sounds come from the brakes when the pads are warn too low.

My Z also makes strange noises. For me, it is a godsend, considering that I lost some of my hearing long ago. I don't worry about the noises unless they become consistent and annoying.

When I first got the car, I noticed that at idle, when the car was next to the side of my house, there were scraping sounds coming from the gearbox area. I brought it back to the dealer and they compared it to another new model. It made the identical noise.

BTW...about the brakes: Based on Bulletin P195-006, (written March 22, 1995) Nissan was supposed to have been phasing in the new NAO (non-asbestos organic) brake pads on *several models*, in order to stop the squeaky brake problems. I have Brembos on my 35th Anniv., and they squeak like crazy. hmmmm...ten years have passed. You would think they would have done something about it by now.... Attachment 98125