Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Transponder Keys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Kabs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transponder Keys...

Hey eveyone. Long story short I bought my Z with only 1 key. Dealer said he would get me another but I didnt get that in writing and im basically screwed.

I know that the cheapest place to get a keyfob is ebay... around 20 bucks for it and you can program it yourself

How about transponder keys. I dont really care if it has nissan stamped on it. I just need an extra pair or 2. I found a store where they sell them for around 20 bucks each, but where do I get them cut/programmed?

I heard Nissan charges an arm and a leg, and Im not sure they will cut a non-Nissan brand key and program it.

Any help would be great. Also if anyone know where I can get a nicer key that works too that would be greatly appreciated. I know someone tried that GTR key on ebay but it didnt start the car (which for me is pointless )
Old 03-17-2006, 12:06 PM
rmesola

go to a local key shop who deals with transponder keys... they will charge around 50-75 to program your keys to the vehicle... you must have all keys programmed at the same time...( usually one fee for the set)

nissan designed it so that it's not DIY

If you really want a nicer key, you could theoretically extract the transponder from a working key and transfer it to the new keyfob... haven't seen it done, but it's doable... the transponder if a very small tube...
Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmesola
go to a local key shop who deals with transponder keys... they will charge around 50-75 to program your keys to the vehicle... you must have all keys programmed at the same time...( usually one fee for the set)

nissan designed it so that it's not DIY

If you really want a nicer key, you could theoretically extract the transponder from a working key and transfer it to the new keyfob... haven't seen it done, but it's doable... the transponder if a very small tube...
+1
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Kabs

damn all the places by me deal with GM ford, etc transponders but not Nissan

U think nissan will program like 2 keys at once for me? and how much do they charge
Old 03-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Z_Driver
Master

One key for my Pathfinder cost me $80. That was a deal. The other dealerships in the area wanted $105.
But that included the $20 key. Lol.

I imagine the 350Z key/programing will be about the same.

Call around and find out what the key costs. Then, talk to the service department to see how long it will take and how much it will cost to program that key. It took them an hour and a half to program my Pathfinder.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, you HAVE to program all the keys for the Z at the same time. they will be resetting the code on the ECU so they have to have all the keys you will use for the car so that new code can be set to all the keys. look in the phone book and call around, I gurantee there is a locksmith in jersey that can do this for your car. if they have at least a dozen in honolulu, then they have at least one in jersey. also they shouldn't charge you more than $80 for it, if you find a dealership that does it around that price then great, but most dealers overcharge. and it shouldn't take more than 15 min for them to reprogram the ECU/keys.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 PM
rmesola

you can buy keys off ebay, have them cut and then ask the locksmith to reprogram all of them... it should be the same charge for doing 1 vs all keys
Old 03-18-2006, 03:57 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by rmesola
you can buy keys off ebay, have them cut and then ask the locksmith to reprogram all of them... it should be the same charge for doing 1 vs all keys
This is true, they program the other keys at the same time. They tell you to bring all your keys for the car.
Basically they are charging an hour min to do the work. For most NISSAN shops in the BA that is $100an hr. However, I found one that was willing to do it for $60 and sell the key for $19.50.

You can do as the quoted poster above says, as long as, you can find someone that can do it nearby. Some of the sites offer the key and give a list to where you can have it programmed for an additional cost. They never say what this cost is. So, I checked around and most of them wanted $50 ...... and I would have had to ship it to them and ship it back. Such a pain, not to mention the additional days it would take to get the keys back. I'm still trying to figure out how they can do it without the car. I don't think they can. I think that part was BS.

So, $50 plus $20 key and shipping same as going to NISSAN for me. So, why take the risk?

If anyone comes up with a cheaper way to do it let me know. I hate paying these prices!
Of course, that would have to be in the SF Bay Area for me.

Thanks .... Let us know ..... I am very interested.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-18-2006 at 04:05 AM.