Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
View Poll Results: What do you think of burnouts?
I'll never hurt my car like that or dump the clutch, and besides have no clue how to do them.
11.36%
I know howto or have done it, but never again. Just bad for the car and not needed.
31.36%
It's itching me to try it out. Want to learn...
10.00%
I can do them fine, mild peelouts are nice for show, and it belongs to the sports car culture.
40.00%
I am an expert and do them regularily on the drag strip.
7.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: burnouts or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:23 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jyoder7
A burnout is very simply.
1. Rev the car to atleast 4k rpm's
2. Dump the clutch
3. Immediatly place you left foot on the brake
4. Vary the pressure you place on the brake and the throttle, you should find that you can stay in one spot with the front wheels moving very little or not at all and the rear tires will roast.
Dumb question. When using this technique will revving to that high of an rpm break traction so quick that wheel hop will be very unlikely?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Jyoder7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjr
Dumb question. When using this technique will revving to that high of an rpm break traction so quick that wheel hop will be very unlikely?
Wheel hop is more do to the suspension design of the car, for example 911's and CTS-V's are known to exibit wheel hop. I dont own a 350Z yet but I have driven them before and plan on buying one within the next 2months. I'm not sure if 350Z"s exhibit wheel hop.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 PM
D15na

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidf
My Goodyears cost $300 each, hell no.

you need a hook up my friend
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 AM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jyoder7
Wheel hop is more do to the suspension design of the car, for example 911's and CTS-V's are known to exibit wheel hop. I dont own a 350Z yet but I have driven them before and plan on buying one within the next 2months. I'm not sure if 350Z"s exhibit wheel hop.
It will hop if you give it enough juice all at once. I used to get it a lot, before I made some changes to the dampeners. Now pretty much only when at the tree and I just pound it.. But not a good thing and I let off as soon as it occurs. (Keep in mind I have not had a stock suspension since I put the TT in)
Old 04-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Z33WOLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done countless burn outs in my previous Mustang GT (staging at the strip) It's easy in both that and the Z. Though why burn out just to waste tires when you can put on a massive smoke show sliding sideways
Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. There have been some discussions on this board before about how to eliminate wheel hop. Much of it is suspension design. I've noticed that the new Mustang commercial where it's doing peel outs and donuts in a wet warehouse that car obviously has wheel hop. Are the new Mustangs IRS or still a live rear axle?? I know the Cobra had IRS one year long ago but don't keep track of Mustangs at all to know what they are doing with rear suspension these days. The only other factor involved than rear suspension should be your tires and driving technique. I've never felt like the Z needed to be dumped all the way up at 4,000 and was just wondering if this would break the tires traction so good that you'll just keep burning or if you could still expect the worst wheel hop you've ever experienced. Each car has its' own secret and I just don't like beating on a brand new car to find out Probably not worth even discussing since it depends on the surface you are on too
FWIW, I've done a few but they are just not very exciting without lots of smoke so I want to do a nice smokey one before I get new rear tires this summer. If you know what you are doing, a few here and there won't be too damaging to the car in the long run. From what I have read the rear diff on a Z is pretty stout. And most stories (related to any car in general) of damage are blowing a diff or chipping off side gear teeth, etc. Wheel hop has the potential to shatter side gears so be careful out there!

Last edited by bjr; 05-01-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Jyoder7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mustang GT still has a solid rear axel, which is one of the reasons I probably won't buy one, even though what it does with a SRA is amazing.