Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help...Importing A Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:17 AM
phase1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Importing A Z

I originally posted this in the "Other Regions - Asia - Korea" section, but thought I would throw it in here as well to see if anyone had any info on this subject.....please I need some help.

Here is what I submitted:

Has anyone here successfully imported a modified Z into Korea?

Sometime around May/June '07 I am looking to move back to Korea (if the job is still available, hopefully I don't jinx myself so knock on wood) and I want to take my 350Z with me.

I know import tax is going to cost an arm and a leg, but the main thing I am worried about it is passing the inspection. I was over in Korea from Jan. '03 - Jan. '06 and I had a friend that had his stock Z imported when he moved to Korea. However, my Z is not all stock....I have quite a few add on's and modifications to include a twin tubo kit and 3'' true dual exhaust.

So does anyone have any insight, experience, info...or know someone I can talk to about this?

I would really hate to go through all the steps: pay, put it in a 40ft. container, throw it on the boat, get it to Korea, and then it fail inspection.

Any info and help would be great.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Army?

If not hook up with someone from the Army's Korean Personal Property office who might be able to give you some free advice as they handle hundreds of soldiers a month moving there or back. Back in the early '80s I was stationed in Japan and at the time you could pick up a 2-3 year old Fairlady Z for about $3000. The military would pay for shipping but the owner would have to comply with the emmissions regulations (which were low compared to today), add a hood lock, and replace all the glass with safety glass.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 AM
phase1

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Army?

If not hook up with someone from the Army's Korean Personal Property office who might be able to give you some free advice as they handle hundreds of soldiers a month moving there or back. Back in the early '80s I was stationed in Japan and at the time you could pick up a 2-3 year old Fairlady Z for about $3000. The military would pay for shipping but the owner would have to comply with the emmissions regulations (which were low compared to today), add a hood lock, and replace all the glass with safety glass.
No, not army. If I went back over there to my old job I would be a civilian contractor working on a military base. I would be able to negotiate with my company in shipping my car over there, but again its the passing inspections I'm worried about.

Thanks though.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any other cars over there you would rather have? Sounds like an opportunity to me.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 AM
phase1

Originally Posted by 05-Z
Are there any other cars over there you would rather have? Sounds like an opportunity to me.
Opportunity meaning....???
Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by phase1
Opportunity meaning....???
Meaning...sell your Z and just buy another (exotic, weird, etc.) car over in Korea. I'm guessing you love your Z so much that getting a Korean car is not an option...
Old 09-29-2006, 04:18 PM
phase1

Originally Posted by dkmura
Meaning...sell your Z and just buy another (exotic, weird, etc.) car over in Korea. I'm guessing you love your Z so much that getting a Korean car is not an option...

Bro.....come on??? You serious?!?!

There is no way I'll get rid of my Z. I lived in Korea from Jan '03 - Jan '06 and in '05 while I was there I bought the new Tiburon (Koreans call it a Tuscani), which is made over there. Its a nice car to have over there and tune up and all, but there is no way in hell I will go from drivin' my Z and then down grade to the Tiburon.

If I can't find a way to get my Z there, then it will sit at my parents house until I get back. That car will stay with me for life...I'll probably pass it on to my future kid. Sorry bro, but thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts

PhaseI- I was NOT recommending that you sell your Z. You just weren't catching on to what 05-Z was saying about the "opportunity" to try other cars, so I tried to clue you in. Are you saying there aren't any 350Zs being imported into Korea? I find that surprising.

I agree with not wanting to downgrade to a Tiburon...
Old 09-29-2006, 06:23 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your statement is confusing. You mean export a 350Z USA to Korea. As you mentioned, finding information about the subject will be difficult. If you find information at a Korean site, most likely it will be in Korean.

Not worth the hassle in my opinion.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:34 PM
phase1

Originally Posted by dkmura
PhaseI- I was NOT recommending that you sell your Z. You just weren't catching on to what 05-Z was saying about the "opportunity" to try other cars, so I tried to clue you in. Are you saying there aren't any 350Zs being imported into Korea? I find that surprising.

I agree with not wanting to downgrade to a Tiburon...
I apologize, I was under the impression he was kind of jumpin' the gun on me and asking to buy my car if I could not take it. When I read "05-Z" post and then I read yours (dkmura), I was confusing that for being two posts from the same person. Anyways, simple misunderstanding and I'm sorry.

To clarify the info on what I was asking about, I am looking to take my modified Z from the USA and send it to Korea (export from USA and import to Korea). I sent a PM to a guy over in Korea right now that sent his Z over there and have not heard back from him yet. Also while I was in Korea 4 months ago I knew a guy with a Z, but his car was all stock at the time it was shipped. Ive added a lot of performance parts to mine.

I posted this question over in the Asia section and a couple of people hit me back saying if I were to take off all the modifications and have my car set at stock again, then it would pass. Another person said that the car would have to have been driven here in the states for a certain length of time (3 months, 6 months, 1 yr). Confusing

Last edited by phase1; 09-29-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
lone_Z

hey if u need help, i might be able to find out some info for you. as far as i know i'm the only one in korea with a 35th anni z. u can obviously make more mods here but bringing one over is def another question. i can ask some of my friends who work in customs. give me a pm