Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

exhaust voiding warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:23 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust voiding warranty?

i dont know much about what an exhaust can do to your motor if anything happened and i was jsut wondering what can happen from the exhaust to mess up the motor thatll void your warranty if you install an after market exhaust? and what are the chances of it happening?

im asking because my uncle is a service rep at nissan and he told me not to do any mods until the warranty is up -_-
Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Tell your uncle he is an IDIOT! No offense but Nissan has to prove your mod did the damage. An exhaust will not damage your engine!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How will the exhaust mess up the motor?
Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust-334/
Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by davidv
How will the exhaust mess up the motor?

yah thats what i thought, he was trying to tell me about things going back into the motor or into the cats or something....and since i dont know a lot about exhausts....i was lost on the idea of anything going backwards when everything is flowing out....
Old 11-10-2006, 04:06 PM
jsboates

These guys are right...nissan has to prove the mod caused the damage, HOWEVER, there is a good chance you would have to lay out the $ for the repair and then sue and is that really worth it? Correct me if I'm wrong but won't a Nismo exhaust leave the warranty in tact according to Nissan policy?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:11 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manufacturer/dealer CANNOT "void your warranty".

The CAN deny a specific claim if they can prove that your modification directly caused the failure.

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage."

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html

bill
Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 PM
rocks

They can deny it and then you have to sue. Happend to me. Get nismo s tune have dealer put it on to be safe.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:07 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by bailey bill
The manufacturer/dealer CANNOT "void your warranty".

The CAN deny a specific claim if they can prove that your modification directly caused the failure.

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage."

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html

bill
yah i read up on that before after i got my z so i can understand warranty stuff better....but soemthing that always came to mind was since theyre actual technicians and what not, cant they twist stuff around to make it sound like the mod directly caused the problem?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:11 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by creationv2
cant they twist stuff around to make it sound like the mod directly caused the problem?
Possibly. If you are anxious then stay stock. End of story.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by davidv
Possibly. If you are anxious then stay stock. End of story.
Don't need to stay stock, can always go with the Nismo S-Tune products if you want 100% safety against denial of warranty...

Everyone is correct that they have to prove that your modification caused the car trouble, but they can make your life hell by giving you the run around if something does happen...

Also if for some weird reason your engine fails just put your stock exhaust back on before taking to Nissan for warranty work
Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

An Aftermarket Exhaust system will not void your warranty...

If there is a problem with the exhaust system its self, it will not be covered by your local NISSAN Dealer at NISSAN's expence... If the part interfiers with other warranty repairs the dealer can opt out of doing the repair or charge an extra fee for aftermarket parts or extra labor time that will be involved working with the exhaust system...

Example: Fuel Hose Recall Campaign... If an aftermarket exhaust is presant, an aftermarket gasket may need to be replaced and extra labor time may be involed to get the exhaust system lined up / re-installed properly...

If the exhaust system is a direct cause of a problem that part may not be covered under warranty...

Example: GReddy EVO 2 with the Fuel EVAP Canister relocation... If it is relocated improperly it may damage the EVAP canister... The part will no longer be covered under warranty...
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 AM
norapat01

Any exhaust mod after the cat. is fine
Old 11-11-2006, 12:50 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance

If there is a problem with the exhaust system its self, it will not be covered by your local NISSAN Dealer at NISSAN's expence... If the part interfiers with other warranty repairs the dealer can opt out of doing the repair or charge an extra fee for aftermarket parts or extra labor time that will be involved working with the exhaust system...

Example: Fuel Hose Recall Campaign... If an aftermarket exhaust is presant, an aftermarket gasket may need to be replaced and extra labor time may be involed to get the exhaust system lined up / re-installed properly...

If the exhaust system is a direct cause of a problem that part may not be covered under warranty...

Example: GReddy EVO 2 with the Fuel EVAP Canister relocation... If it is relocated improperly it may damage the EVAP canister... The part will no longer be covered under warranty...

thanks for the examples....it helps me understand it better
Old 11-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

No problem!

Not sure if all of you know yet, but I am no longer in the parts department here... I am now in the Service department so I am dealing with alot of this stuff every day on all the different NISSAN cars....
Old 11-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Built2shredZ

Not sure if all of you know yet, but I am no longer in the parts department here... I am now in the Service department so I am dealing with alot of this stuff every day on all the different NISSAN cars....
So you went from being the good guy to being the bad guy huh

j/k
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
So you went from being the good guy to being the bad guy huh

j/k
har har...

Im still the good guy
Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 AM
fat350

so if i put a cat back on the only thing i'd after worry about is the charges alotted during removal and installation?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great explanation. This happend to a friend when he went in for tranny replacement. They said "nice exhaust" but we will have to charge you for removal and re-installation. This is in Canada where we dont have the Magnusson-Moss act to protect us.

Or as others have said, simply remove your exhaust before you go in for any engine work.

Good Luck!

R