Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

So what do your girlfriends/wives think about modding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
spf4000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxipad96
Hated the fact I spent money on it. Hated the fact I spent time tweaking it. Hated the fact I detailed it every weekend.

Replaced it with a boring FX35. I miss the Z every day. I really had it exactly were I wanted it. You don't appreciate how much fun that car is until it's gone.
I take it that you enjoyed working on the car, and it's your hobby/passion, right? That's really sad. Did you let her know just how much not having the car affects you? Unless you had an unhealthy lifestyle about the car (you spent more than you can afford on the car and were up to your eyeballs in debt, or you were so aggressive driving it that you were a danger to yourself and those around you), she shouldn't be forcing you to change who you are. Even worse, she's just a girlfriend--not even your wife.

Take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself, are you going to be happy with her controlling your life?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM
maxipad96

Yeah. I really don't have an answer.

I don't feel like myself any more though. That car was a part of me - my personality. It's odd for it to be completely gone now.

I tried modding the FX a little, but my heart just isn't in it like it was the Z. I figure one day though, when I'm older and can afford a second car, I will buy a Z just like the one I used to have and only drive it on really nice days. That's my dream at least.

I think she just felt I needed a more "grown up" car. I convinced myself that that's what I wanted as well. Sold what I had worked on so hard for the past few years before I was ready to.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
cwest350

pretty much every girl will hate it whether they tell you or not. you see a HKS exhaust, rims, etc, they see money that you could have spent on them. jealousy, greed is an ugly thing. my good friend's wife always comes out to the garage and whines he spends too much time working on the car. translation: "im an attention ***** and you need to spend more attention to me." he gets in trouble...i just laugh at the situation. are people really that insecure these days....
Old 04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwest350
pretty much every girl will hate it whether they tell you or not. you see a HKS exhaust, rims, etc, they see money that you could have spent on them. jealousy, greed is an ugly thing. my good friend's wife always comes out to the garage and whines he spends too much time working on the car. translation: "im an attention ***** and you need to spend more attention to me." he gets in trouble...i just laugh at the situation. are people really that insecure these days....
no, not every girl. be careful of making wide-swept generalizations.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
cwest350

Originally Posted by maxipad96
Yeah. I really don't have an answer.

I don't feel like myself any more though. That car was a part of me - my personality. It's odd for it to be completely gone now.

I tried modding the FX a little, but my heart just isn't in it like it was the Z. I figure one day though, when I'm older and can afford a second car, I will buy a Z just like the one I used to have and only drive it on really nice days. That's my dream at least.

I think she just felt I needed a more "grown up" car. I convinced myself that that's what I wanted as well. Sold what I had worked on so hard for the past few years before I was ready to.
Maxi-

Sorry you no longer have the Z dude. Long before i joined this forum, i used to lurk around here and just read information about the Z... hoping to get it one day. Your car was one of my favorites and was deff a contributing factor in me wanting to get a Z in the first place.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
cwest350

Originally Posted by oneDIRTYz
no, not every girl. be careful of making wide-swept generalizations.
thats why i said "pretty" much every girl and not every girl

from reading your posts in the past, i can honestly say that you are one of the few that has your head on straight.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

thanks, i try.

i'd like to thank the academy...and my parents...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
spf4000

thanks, i try.

i'd like to thank the academy...and my parents...
Someone like you--a girl who enjoys cars and modifying--is maybe 1 in 10,000? (maybe even less)

I just hope you end up with a guy that can appreciate the fact that he's with a car nut. I'd be sad if you were wasted on with a guy that questions you for spending too much time/money on your car.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

uh..i wouldn't 'end up' with him, then.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 PM
spf4000

uh..i wouldn't 'end up' with him, then.
Well, you never know. At first he might be just pretending to enjoy the hobby, only to realize too late that he actually doesn't approve! I think that's how many guys get duped into selling their beloved cars for their...beloved.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

if he doesn't approve, his *** is getting kicked to the curb. i wouldn't change my true self for someone else, it would straight up be living a lie. i'd just end up bitter and angry at them.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:01 PM
SupermanZ

I'm single but alot of the girls I date love it. One girl had more mods on her Z then I did. But now I have more. Haha
Old 04-17-2007, 01:03 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
My girl friend likes the mods, but my wife is wondering where all of our money is going to.
My girlfriend bought my window tint for me and buys little things for my car. Gotta love her.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 PM
spf4000

if he doesn't approve, his *** is getting kicked to the curb. i wouldn't change my true self for someone else, it would straight up be living a lie. i'd just end up bitter and angry at them.
If only some of these guys here had ***** like you... (figurative sense)
Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
maxipad96

Originally Posted by cwest350
Maxi-

Sorry you no longer have the Z dude. Long before i joined this forum, i used to lurk around here and just read information about the Z... hoping to get it one day. Your car was one of my favorites and was deff a contributing factor in me wanting to get a Z in the first place.
Thanks man. Really appreciate the kind words on the Z. I was really proud of it when I had it.

Don't feel sorry for me. I'll be back in the game soon. Getting rid of the Z was ultimately my choice. Life lesson learned. Sometimes you have to make the wrong choice before you know whats right. I thought about getting another one and heavily modding it. Wouldn't be the same though. Lookout for me in a couple years when the GT-R is available. I have a funny feeling the girlfriend won't be getting first priority then.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
NX ZR

another dumb guy question(at least for my case): why is it that I find "alot" of times girls have more control over guys?!....it's soo hard for me to "kick a girl to the curb" instead, I just submit....and do prty-much anything to make her happy at the same time, me on the other hand.....will?!.....kindda get lost?!.....

heeewww....I asked my fiance this one time and....jeeez....she blew her head-gasket.....saying....."if you feel being controled....then you're in a wrong relationship and this.....and that.....yadayadayada!!!!"....
Old 04-17-2007, 03:07 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

guys won't admit it but they're just as afraid of ending up alone as most girls, which is why they'll put up with a lot of **** from girls [the 'control' youre talking about]
personally ive never had that fear. i could give a rat's ***, really. i'm probably too selfish, which is one of the reasons i dont want kids, either. i mean i can't speak for all girls, i can only speak for myself. and i know that pretty much any time i've come close to being in a serious relationship i freak out and run away.. committment scares me like no other. i also HATE the idea of being owned by a guy..and most guys have that feeling about their girlfriends/wives. they're a possession. i am not an object to be owned.

end of mini rant.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:21 PM
NX ZR

....what you've said makes alot of sense....I think I do treat her like my property....so I guess fear of losing her comes natrually.....

I'm gonna talk to her about this tonight, I think she'll apriciate this!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:23 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

+100000000000000
Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Originally Posted by NX ZR
....what you've said makes alot of sense....I think I do treat her like my property....so I guess fear of losing her comes natrually.....

I'm gonna talk to her about this tonight, I think she'll apriciate this!!!

Thanks!!!
youre.....welcome?

Quick Reply: So what do your girlfriends/wives think about modding?