Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z is totaled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Skidfive805

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

I learned my lesson back when I owned and 87 corvette. The rear end was so light, you could spin the tires in 1st, 2nd and 3rd for 200 feet and not leave any rubber or smoke.

I did burnouts on desolate street out in the farmland which I look back and realized how stupid it was.

But I too was going 20 mph once while just shifting into second and gunning it. I straightened my driving maturity right up after I spun the back end out and almost clipped a car and went almost into a wall. I didnt hit anything and saved it before it lost total control. I was 17 at the time.

luckily I had that experience before i owned my Z and had that experience before I killed anyone or myself. Now, 20, working for a police department I respect the car and now know how easy something can go wrong if you mess around behind 3000 pounds of metal.

PS, friends influence your driving, I can see it now "gun it dude, you can beat that semi on the on ramp"
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DIGItonium
Wow, aren't you glad you don't have lambo doors on your car? Sorry for the loss.
The lambo door hinges do open normally too

To the Original Poster - Sorry for your loss. Please learn from your mishap.

Last edited by JCat; 04-23-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
TheGest

its just a car, be happy your alive thats all that matters
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Only way I could see a Roll at 20-30mhp would be if you struck an object like a curb or rolled over a reflector post sideways.

Did you hit any objects?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
BrianDT3wZ

Originally Posted by I1DER
Black boxes in our cars? That could record speeding? Sounds like big brother is moving in. Couldn't my Z take the 5th amendment? After all, we are practically married.
LMAO....Bro, you just made my day !!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Skyline-GTR

Inexperienced young driver behind the wheel of a sports car= INCREASE IN INSURANCE PREMIUM
Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
zumdish

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum, but having recently totaled my 2002 BMW M Roadster through my own stupidity, I can relate.

A rollover at 20MPH is certain plausible, if the rear tires break loose on gravel, you get sideways and the tires hit a curb or dig into soft dirt. Still, on a clear day, dry road, single vehicle - it seems likely it was the driver's own fault. I'd hope the OP sucks it up, owns up and learns the lesson. Belittling the driver doesm't serve anything - but I'm the noob so I'm not going to get involved with pointing fingers on behavior at the moment.

There is some interesting info on Event Data Recorders at http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm

Cheers,

Rob L.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
JunkStory

He's obviously very shocked from what happened, and so he typed the wrong speed.

Wait for his response before jumping on him like an angry raging mob. He almost killed himself and his friend for the love of Heaven. Man.. you people need to put down the flame torch and chill.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:44 PM
1FlyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the front tread is really LOW. maybe took it a little faster than 20 and car didnt turn the way he wanted it too and slid off and flipped?? Just goes to show how important front tires are.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by JunkStory
He's obviously very shocked from what happened, and so he typed the wrong speed.
Yeah, you're probably right smart guy. Maybe he meant to type 120 or so.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Zya123

Update, I went to see my car at the body shop, I will find out in a couple days if it is fixable, the guy at the shop said it looks like there is 12 grand in damage so it is probally fixable, It happend in upstate NY, right near saratoga, Also the only reason the car flipped was because of the huge ditch, we rolled over only going about 5 miles per hour, If there was not such a huge ditch the roll over would have never happend, Also I went back to the road todya and i did go threw alot of rocks and sand in the road,That could of helped me lose control, I really hope it is fixable
Old 04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
halfass872

I'm truely not trying to jack this thread, or necessarly bashing the OP, but i will say this. I had the unfortunate experience to have no choice but to drive my Z in the snow last Monday. I was visiting friends in West VA, and i should of checked the weather. Sunday morning when i was gonna leave, horrible rains washed out the road i had to go down to leave, so i stayed and extra day and called out of work. Only to wake Monday morning to about 100 miles of snow covered unplowed twisy mountain roads. About 6" of it. I had no choice, i had to get home that day. All i could think of was all the posts we saw this winter of people totaling their Z's in only a little snow, and everyone saying DO NOT DRIVE YOUR Z IN SNOW. But i had no choice. Long story short, i was just super carefull, stayed off the brakes, and rev matched every downshift, and i made it fine. I wish i had taken pics, cause it was aweful. Esp for somone from Va Beach who has very little snow driving experience. Aside from the car being dirty as hell, all was well. That's when i was suddenly amazed at how many people just "happen" to spin out at 20MPH, etc. Why wont people just say they were F&^king off. If you respect the car, it will respect you back. I cannot think of any worse condition to have the Z in, then steep freshly snow covered mountain roads, and i didn't spontaneously spin out for no reason at any point.
I'm not claiming to be mr. super driver here, but i really feel that alot of these type of accidents could be avoided if a little common sense is used, and people would be aware of their soroundings more.

Last edited by halfass872; 04-23-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
zstreet86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been looking for a good underbody pic....
Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
zstreet86

Originally Posted by Skyline-GTR
Inexperienced young driver behind the wheel of a sports car= INCREASE IN INSURANCE PREMIUM
+1, thats why we have some one of the highest insurance rates around.... nonetheless, i feel for ya...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM
GonZ

can somebody shed some more light on this black box subject?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
citizen

To OP, no matter how much pressure these guys put on you mantain whatever story you told the cops. You don't want to be in a court room saying "I was only going 20" and then the cop reads your posts (and trust me they will)out loud to the judge and everyone thinks your an idiot.

Sorry to hear, try to remember that the only thing that matters on the grand scale of things is that you and your friend are ok and you won't do whatever you were doing again.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 PM
cubu

i wouldn't be surprised if he was going 20, you guys don't see the terrain and that pothole in the shoulder? maybe a bunch of you guys are super physicists that can calculate all the variables and possiblities of that accident scene with out actually being there and by looking at with a few low quality pictures
Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
zumdish

Originally Posted by GonZ
can somebody shed some more light on this black box subject?
Not sure exactly which models/years of Nissan have them, but here's a bunch of stuff about them . . .

http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_Data_Recorder
http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/edr.html

Cheers,
Rob L.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by infamous350
Some of guys are just plain mean this guy just totaled his z it was an accident. Sorry man dont worrry ull get a nice check from insurance and youll be back in another z very soon. you never said but i know you didnt have vdc cause it couldnt happen with it even in the rain i take turns hard my car doesnt slide out. get a touring model with vdc

There is no such thing as a 'one car' accident.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by cubu
i wouldn't be surprised if he was going 20, you guys don't see the terrain and that pothole in the shoulder? maybe a bunch of you guys are super physicists that can calculate all the variables and possiblities of that accident scene with out actually being there and by looking at with a few low quality pictures
Apologies but I see accidents up close and personal... just another one of those experiences things... unless we are dealing with wet/iced pavement he would have lost a small amount of speed before he even slid off the pavement (unless as suggested he was acellerating hard) and then you are purely dealing physics (which by all rights should be constants)...

I agree that maybe seeing the location would be the only way to say for certain what happened but IF he did in fact roll over in a 20mph accident it was a FREAK incident and something I would consider rare. I sincerely doubt the officer who responded would beleive this is a 20mph accident either.

I've pulled a number of people from cars that were put in the ditch and never once has one been on it's roof at anything less than 50+ mph.

Quick Reply: My Z is totaled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!