Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cigarette lighter as a second power supply?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 03:04 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette lighter as a second power supply?

The owner's manual says that a cigarette lighter can be purchased as an option. Does anyone know where it would sit in the car, I'm thinking it might be more useful as an auxillary plug than the one that sits between the seats towards the rear of the car. BTW, I know the owner's manual recommends not plugging anything else into the cigarette lighter, but I'm not sure why it says that.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:13 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that they mean the little nubby thing that when pushed down into the recepticle, pops back up and is removed red hot and used to light the tobacco product of your choice.........or in Pat's case the green leafy substance of choice.

I don't think they mean an additional plug.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:14 AM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It states the cigarette lighter unit (including the socket) are options. Don't know exactly where it would sit, but probably in the center console.

It also states The use of the cigarette lighter socket as a power source for any other accessory is not recommended. This is utter BS as the lighter pulls more power than any radar detector or other low draw accessory (e.g., compass, etc.). This statement is surely for liability reasons only. Not everything in the owner's manual is gospel. Many items are there in case they get sued. "I plugged my 500 watt boom box into the cigarette lighter socket, and the Z caught fire!"

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-29-2002 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:16 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

This thing:
Old 07-29-2002, 03:16 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that they mean the little nubby thing that when pushed down into the recepticle, pops back up and is removed red hot and used to light the tobacco product of your choice.........or in Pat's case the green leafy substance of choice.

I don't think they mean an additional plug.
You're correct, BUT its only been in the last few years that there have been seperate power outlets from the cig lighter. As far as I know, all power cords will still work plugged into the cig lighter. That is why I'm wondering if the cig lighter is in a more convenient location??
Old 07-29-2002, 03:44 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

So are you asking "is there another SOCKET somewhere" i.e. not the SOCKET located toward the back between the seats (the one everyone is complaining about being too far back for a radar detector)?

If there is another one, I've never seen it mentioned or in a pic.

My Stealth has two sockets. One is in a little ash tray in the center consol and it has the cig. lighter plug in it. The other one is way up front under the CD player and it is covered by a plastic plug but there is no cig. lighter in that one.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:50 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
So are you asking "is there another SOCKET somewhere" i.e. not the SOCKET located toward the back between the seats (the one everyone is complaining about being too far back for a radar detector)?

If there is another one, I've never seen it mentioned or in a pic.
YES. The owner's manual states that the dealer can install a cig. lighter as an accessory which would give you a second power source. Athough the manual does not RECOMMEND that the cig. lighter be used as a second power source, as Intrepid said, it certainly could be used as one. I have also never seen the cig. lighter, that is the purpose of my post, I'm hoping someone will know where it would go, so I can decide if it worth purchasing so I can have a more convenient outlet, than the ridiculous one at the rear of the car.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:16 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My word, people! Settle the f**k down!

Here's your solution...

See page 67 of the Owner's manual PDF, aka 2-28 of the manual. See that illustration of the ashtray? Now, look at the pic below. See that compartment partially blocked by the steering wheel? That's the space for storage or the optional ashtray.

If you want to be on the up-and-up as far as the owners manual is concerned, buy the ashtray kit, see if there is any difference between the lighter socket and the power socket on the back wall, if there is, order a second power socket and you should be set. You might also need to match fuses on the two sockets, but that's yet to be seen.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:00 AM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

The optional ashtray/lighter socket(power supply) replaces the compartment between the emergency flasher button and the shifter.

The only setback I can see with this as a power supply is that it may be too shallow to accomodate a plug-in as the lighter itself may be very short. The plug-in's negative pole might not make proper contact to physically hold it in place if at all.

Joe
Old 07-29-2002, 08:04 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Default Re: quit smoking!

Originally posted by valdis
Cigarette smoke clouds up your windows and upholstry with tar, burns holes in your seats, gets icky ashes everywhere and makes your car stink like a smoke factory... If that's not enough it's also been rumored to cause lung cancer and birth defects. All in all you best off if you can just quit smoking before your Z arrives. You can use the money you sve to have additional power outlets installed anywhere you want. I'll tell you another thing, trying to light a cigarette could be very hazardous to your health if you have to turn around to use the power outlet between/behind the seats. What exactly where the designers thinking with that?
1. I don't smoke and I will shoot anyone who tries to smoke in my car. 2. But that power outlet in the back is as useful as **** on a bull, so I'm hoping I can use the cig. lighter as a power outlet. 3. You're right, that is a terrible place for a cig. lighter, the owner's manual gets around that by saying don't use it while driving, of course it only has power when the CAR IS RUNNING.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:23 AM
Danimsta

Default Re: quit smoking!

Originally posted by valdis
Cigarette smoke clouds up your windows and upholstry with tar, burns holes in your seats, gets icky ashes everywhere and makes your car stink like a smoke factory... If that's not enough it's also been rumored to cause lung cancer and birth defects. All in all you best off if you can just quit smoking before your Z arrives. You can use the money you sve to have additional power outlets installed anywhere you want. I'll tell you another thing, trying to light a cigarette could be very hazardous to your health if you have to turn around to use the power outlet between/behind the seats. What exactly where the designers thinking with that?

hopefully people will be using there addiotional cig lighter or normal cig lighter for the radar detector and not cigerettes, cuase those really suck,and they smell bad and no one will like you
Old 07-29-2002, 09:13 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: Re: quit smoking!

Originally posted by robbyn
...that power outlet in the back is as useful as **** on a bull, ....
Wait a minute, milk and beef? That sounds GREAT! What a good idea!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 09:48 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Default Re: Re: Re: quit smoking!

Originally posted by BrianZ

Wait a minute, milk and beef? That sounds GREAT! What a good idea!!!
You may be on to something, I can just see the new advertising slogan .... **** ... its what's for dinner....uh ... maybe not.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Danimsta

are we allowed to say "****"
lol
i guees its ok when you talk about bulls ****..lol