Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan paint: class action?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Black_Sunshine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan paint: class action?

I want to gauge interest in a class action against Nissan for their clearly sub-standard paint. The front bumper and hood of my car are beat to hell after only 20,000 miles. I am mad as hell about this and I know there are others who feel the same. This is obviously a problem across all models - my girlfriend's 2000 Sentra is just hammered.

Also if there are any lawyers or law students, I'd like to hear from them as to what would be involved or if a case could even be made.

Last edited by Black_Sunshine; 07-27-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:57 PM
iseven

my bumper is fine, its has been 50K miles. alot of ppl i know had their Z for same or even longer amount of time. only problem is from rocks chip from the road or scraps from under the bumper. clear bra is your friend. i need to get it also.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
ObiRedKenobi

I don't see getting anywhere with a lawsuit on it. Much less gaining class action status.

For the record my bumper and hood are beat to hell and back.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 PM
abyss

Class action suit for paint...never gonna happen. Every automanufacturer uses poor paint now days. Class action suits are for damages and injuries from things that companies are responsible for, not minor things like paint.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Forget it... It's the clear-coat that is "bad." A good detailer or your own efforts can make the car look like new. There is no case for a class action suit.

--Spike
Old 07-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Blazemaster

well...the number of people that it affects definitly qualifies it for class action suit, but doubt you'd have a strong enough case. like previous people mentioned, it's a car, or just the clear coat that's the problem here and are simply caused by wear and tear that's bound to happen on the car sooner or later. if you want it scratch or dings free, don't drive it, put it in a showroom or put on clear bra...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 PM
nickZ33

my baby has 42k miles and her paint looks beat 2 hell... and the worst part about it is, i wash her by hand and wax once a week AND use clear coat protectant once a month. im pissed about it
Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 PM
HDPDZO6

Las Vegas is a great place for the paint on any car. Considering the heat, desert dirt blowing around and the fact that just about every other vehicle on the road is a belly-dump rock hauler...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by iseven
my bumper is fine, its has been 50K miles. alot of ppl i know had their Z for same or even longer amount of time. only problem is from rocks chip from the road or scraps from under the bumper. clear bra is your friend. i need to get it also.
I suppose I should have mentioned that the damage I'm refering to is rocks/debris from normal driving. I keep longer than average following distances, yet my car already needs to be repainted at low mileage. Really, it's been that bad for several thousand miles.

I guess what really pisses me off is that I see older, high-mileage economy cars (Civics, Corollas, etc.) that look perfectly fine.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by abyss
Class action suit for paint...never gonna happen. Every automanufacturer uses poor paint now days. Class action suits are for damages and injuries from things that companies are responsible for, not minor things like paint.
Untrue, see my post above. Apparently, other manufacturers use better paint or a better painting process. I'd say Nissan is responsible in some way.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by Spike100
Forget it... It's the clear-coat that is "bad." A good detailer or your own efforts can make the car look like new. There is no case for a class action suit.

--Spike
A detailer can't repair paint that's missing. Anyway, I do my own polishing/waxing, I keep the rest of the car looking ****, but the front end is ruining it for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Sunshine
I suppose I should have mentioned that the damage I'm refering to is rocks/debris from normal driving. I keep longer than average following distances, yet my car already needs to be repainted at low mileage. Really, it's been that bad for several thousand miles.

I guess what really pisses me off is that I see older, high-mileage economy cars (Civics, Corollas, etc.) that look perfectly fine.
That's not enough to initiate a class action suit.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by Blazemaster
well...the number of people that it affects definitly qualifies it for class action suit, but doubt you'd have a strong enough case. like previous people mentioned, it's a car, or just the clear coat that's the problem here and are simply caused by wear and tear that's bound to happen on the car sooner or later. if you want it scratch or dings free, don't drive it, put it in a showroom or put on clear bra...
My contention here is that the paint is of inferior quality. How in the hell should a Corolla have better paint than my ~$30,000 car?

Also, it's not about keeping the car perfect. It's about me being able to enjoy it's appearance for more than a year and a half...

Last edited by Black_Sunshine; 07-25-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by Spike100
That's not enough to initiate a class action suit.
You may be right, but I've yet to hear from anyone with real legal knowledge. I'm definitely having a word with the dealer. I've had the car 18 months and 20K miles...my old 3000GT was 14 years old with 155K miles and was in FAR better shape. This is the last Nissan I'll ever own, that's for sure.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM
evolved326

after 2 days i had a knick on the bumper already. I think its like that with any car though. With the velocity that **** hits our bumbers, do you think a little "stronger" clearcoat would help? I doubt it.

I put on a clear bra the 3rd day and till today, nothing has penatrated. =)

Invest in a clear bra. 3M charges cost >500 (with install) because people need them. They did not make it for the "weak" clearcoat of the Z.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Black_Sunshine

Originally Posted by evolved326
Invest in a clear bra. 3M charges cost >500 (with install) because people need them. They did not make it for the "weak" clearcoat of the Z.
Meh, it's too late.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
sokudo9l6

i could care less about rock chips. No matter how careful you are, you're still going to get them. If it borthers you that much, get the bumper repainted. Use a nice clearcoat and spray a few coats on.
I don't think clearbras stays clear forever....
Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 PM
VQZ33_Jake

...my front bumper is kinda hacked up on the side, ill probibly buy a new bumper than have that clear bra put on. small expense for an important part of the car.

Jake
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM
SanMarinoZR

Originally Posted by sokudo9l6
I don't think clearbras stays clear forever....
Not forever maybe but it's guaranteed for many years.

Keeps my front end looking perfect with not one rock chip.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM
JunkStory

If the paint damage is causing you severe psychological damage i.e. making you mentally unstable and suicidal.. then yes

Quick Reply: Nissan paint: class action?