Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 AM
LeMans 05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arma
...more than half of all new vettes are 6 speed paddle shift. you still manually shift the gears.. sounds like a manual to me
A computer controlling your clutch and gear engagement is not a true manual. Can you miss a gear w/ the paddle shifters? Can you execute a perfect rev-match downshift and feel like a professional driver, if only for that moment? Do you get that intimate feel of being one with the mechanicals of a car by flicking a paddle? If something happens to the clutch or the transmission, can you limp the car home with the computer controlling it? NO! Paddle shifters, while easy, fast, blah blah blah, are not manual transmissions. It's because of thoughts like this that the manual transmission is slowly dying out. There will come a day when the only manuals available are in the cheap commuter crap base cars, and sports cars will all have the electronics driving for us. Boring.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
KG350Z

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
A computer controlling your clutch and gear engagement is not a true manual. Can you miss a gear w/ the paddle shifters? Can you execute a perfect rev-match downshift and feel like a professional driver, if only for that moment? Do you get that intimate feel of being one with the mechanicals of a car by flicking a paddle? If something happens to the clutch or the transmission, can you limp the car home with the computer controlling it? NO! Paddle shifters, while easy, fast, blah blah blah, are not manual transmissions. It's because of thoughts like this that the manual transmission is slowly dying out. There will come a day when the only manuals available are in the cheap commuter crap base cars, and sports cars will all have the electronics driving for us. Boring.

Dude, you just made me feel like getting outta the house and go drive my lady in red. God I love my Z!

MT FTW!!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
350Z_TWINTURBO

well ive been driving a manual since i was 16 so its no big driving one, but my mustangs clutch is a heck of alot heavier, so i dont even notice that the Z's is heavy to
Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

First of all, and before I say anything, I really like MT’s (manual shifting and while pressing clutch pedal). But… I’ve had the opportunity to drive a couple of different semi-automatics, and must say I was impressed. These were semi-automatics that had shift-paddles and a physical clutch mechanism (actually two independent clutches) that engage without pressing a clutch pedal. This arrangement is much different from the AT with “manual shifting” Nissan offers on the Z.

Clicking the downshift paddle works flawlessly, and it takes you sequentially down the shifts/gears, but won’t allow over-revving (i.e., if you are going 60 mph and foolishly downshift with 4 or 5 clicks on the paddle, the system will only let you get to something like 3rd gear depending upon your speed and engine rpm’s). Rev matching (engine speed to selected-gear) is flawless. Same goes for up-shifting: If there is inadequate torque for the next “up-gear,” the semi-automatic is intelligent and keeps you in the right gear.

--Spike
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Ztalker
^someone who knows how to drive a MT^
Well, driving all kinds of stick shifts for over 35 years helps the understand.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vooper
How do you put up with the delayed throttle response? The whole car feels soggy!

And not being able to enjoy the satisfaction of throwing a good rev-matched downshift going into a corner, sometimes coming out with a little tail wiggle at higher revs?

What about when you abruptly put your foot down and you have to wait a second before the ECU realizes that a downshift is necessary to match your intentions?

Honestly, I feel that a manual transmission is essential to the sports car driving experience. Love that snick-snack shifting through the gears feeling!
It doesn't sound as if you have driven a 5AT Z. there is no pause especially in manual mode. My Z clicks off 3rd gear rubber in manual mode so there can't be much delay. I have a bad left knee and that is the only reason I'm driving an auto, but they shift very quickly...........up or down in manual mode. The newer ones rev match as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Datapimp

I love my clutch.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Fletch69z

Yeah, the tranny in this car is a pain in the *** but I still love the car.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 AM
KManZ
Banned

Comparing my 03 and 07: It was a headache to drive the 03 smooth. Unless I was really easing into the clutch release and finessing the gas, the car would never take off smooth. If I had to go over a speed bump, that car would buck like crazy. The 07 is lot different, and I haven't had any of the same driving issues at all with it.

The funny thing with my 03 was that when I was selling Nissans I got to drive the other MT Zs on the lot, and I was smooth with most of those. I figured that my clutch pedal was too high, so I lowered it a bit, and the drive became a bit better, though still jerky. Not every car is the same, so I am thinking my 03 was "different" than the norm when it came to smooth usability.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Datapimp
I love my clutch.
The 350Z automatics have clutches also.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by fowlman01
It doesn't sound as if you have driven a 5AT Z. there is no pause especially in manual mode. My Z clicks off 3rd gear rubber in manual mode so there can't be much delay. I have a bad left knee and that is the only reason I'm driving an auto, but they shift very quickly...........up or down in manual mode. The newer ones rev match as well.
In my experience ... However, it was the G35C the tranny wouldn't do forced downshifts if you rev matched it like out classics etc.. It would take a second or two on a upshift as well. Maybe the 03-04 Autos weren't as good. Now I have to go back for another test drive and see on a '07 which I like better.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:26 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
In my experience ... However, it was the G35C the tranny wouldn't do forced downshifts if you rev matched it like out classics etc.. It would take a second or two on a upshift as well. Maybe the 03-04 Autos weren't as good. Now I have to go back for another test drive and see on a '07 which I like better.
I owned an auto '04.5 Z. The only delay in shifting was when initially putting it in manual mode (.5-1 sec to engage). Once engaged, the shifts (up and down) were extremely responsive.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I have an 03 and it has always shifted crisply in manual mode. I drag race my car so I can't wait two seconds for it to shift, it has to be as fast or faster than a stick. One huge advantage in the 5AT is that you don't miss shifts. There are advantages to both trannys.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ From reading your post and other here about AT's, it certainly sounds as though Nissan has a great AT. I don't have much experience with it... only a couple of test drives at the dealership.

--Spike
Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
The 350Z automatics have clutches also.
If your smoking that good **** it does...
Old 09-11-2007, 12:24 PM
lilquazyvietboi

I do like semi-automatics though with paddles. I'd opt for either the semi auto or traditional MT...

.... but, i would NEVER get an AT that shifts into Manual and push up and down, i mean... "lol, wtf mate?"

If automatic is gonna give me any advantage, at least let it allow me to have both hands on the steering wheel while controlling my gears.

I know many people on this forum buys an AT and keeps it in Manual mode all the time.... i just dont get it? ^_- ... they're afraid to mishift? which i havnt done in like years?

Last edited by lilquazyvietboi; 09-11-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fowlman01
I have an 03 and it has always shifted crisply in manual mode. I drag race my car so I can't wait two seconds for it to shift, it has to be as fast or faster than a stick. One huge advantage in the 5AT is that you don't miss shifts. There are advantages to both trannys.
+1

I could see how each has it's ups and downs.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Joe2

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
hell yeah dude
Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
If your smoking that good **** it does...
Your knowledge of vehicle transmissions is lacking, I see... It's okay though. It's par for the course as far as fanbois are concerned.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Your knowledge of vehicle transmissions is lacking, I see... It's okay though. It's par for the course as far as fanbois are concerned.
Last time I checked, the auto Z had a torque converter.

Now, if you want to count the clutches that lock the transmission gears in the context of the current discussion, you certainly had some good stuff to smoke...

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...