2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
A little history lesson on Nissan rating all of their RWD VQ35s at 287: They basically used the 350Z's specifications and applied it to all of their cars, since, essentially, they are the same motors (this was a loop hole of the old SAE standards). Now, with the new standards, you can't do that anymore. You have to submit individual data for a unique application. So, the G35, FX35, and M35 all had to be re-rated to 275HP - reason being, is for the reasons I listed in my post above.

If you notice, even though the new EX35 has the VQ35HR, it only has 296HP - and not 306. Same engine, but with slight variables that create a lower rating.
Agreed and the only reason it is rated less is because it doesn't require premium unleaded like the Z does. It takes regular.

Similar to what the QX56 and Armada hp difference was. 10 hp I believe, one used premium and one didn't.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:13 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by RBlover69
those stats are issues underneath the previous SAE standards though if ya take a look back in that year june.

The revup's 300hp im preety certain where not rated underneath the new ratings. there is clearly more of a pronounced difference for it just to be 6rwhp difference and a tq increase. I dont have the index with me right now at work , but i know for certin that the 300hp revup and the 287de do not output those crank numbers in todays SAE. Nothing wrong with them , but its that technically they shouldnt . lol
Correct, only the HR is under the new rating, the older REV-UP isn't.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Correct, only the HR is under the new rating, the older REV-UP isn't.
3.7 and 3.5 HR, and the VR is pending at 480hp
Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Steve-O Z33

So in 20 years, the DE will be a 200 HP motor? 300 is the new 200. My 06 is probably slow but I like it. My friend has a Nismo Z and wanted to ride in my 06. He seemed a bit impressed, but who knows? I'd say between 06 and 07, it's about driving/mods. Nothing extremely different.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Gary1107

On my way home one day a Z wanted to play. I'm guessing it was an 06 but possibly earlier model (LED tail lights, no hood bump). I'm not sure if he was stock but he probably was (maybe intake?). My 07 is stock. We started at 60 mph and 3 honks. We were dead even up until around 6k rpm, that's when I started to pull away and ended up about a Car and a half away.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:13 PM
SniperHunter

exactly my revup dyno'd 251 compared to my 04 dynoing at 235 compared to my friends HR dynoing at 276

Comparing those numbers its easy to understand that underneath the new SAE standards the revup cannot be a 300hp engine at the crank.

But back then underneath the old standards it def was. Just how back then the HR wouldve probably been a 320hp motor or so lmao.
You're missing what I said. Nissan was able to keep the 287/300 figure by revising the intake for 2006 Zs. Even dynos show that Zs dyno higher than the Infiniti line. The Z's VQ is simply the most potent one and intentionally done so. Nissan can't just keep the old HPs for no reason - SAE is pretty strict about this stuff now.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 12-29-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:20 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

You're missing what I said. Nissan was able to keep the 287/300 figure by revising the intake for 2006 Zs. Even dynos show that Zs dyno higher than the Infiniti line. The Z's VQ is simply the most potent one.
The Z engine is exactly the same as the Infiniti engine. They all dyno within the same range of each other.

My 05 G35 Sedan 6mt, REV-UP dynoed stock 255 hp 232 tq. After MREV it went to 253 hp and 244tq (of course this is peak). This is exactly the same as the REV-UP Z dynos stock.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 PM
SniperHunter

Would also like to state that a car manufacturer can use an older rating under older SAE standards if the figure remains the same under new standards.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Would also like to state that a car manufacturer can use an older rating under older SAE standards if the figure remains the same under new standards.
So if this was true, then cars would have not change their HP. Like the Acura TL is a prime example. It was I believe 270 hp? And it got dropped down to 258 under the new SAE standard.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:14 PM
SniperHunter

I keep seeing SOLO as the last reply to this thread. Clearly, since I have him blocked...he's quite literally talking to himself.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:16 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by 07-Zman
I actually mounted 2 live skunks in my intakes. When I hit full throttle an electric shock dispenses high octane skunk fart into my engine. It's worth 22 butt dyno hp.....

nice
Old 12-30-2007, 06:26 AM
RBlover69

The Z engine is exactly the same as the Infiniti engine. They all dyno within the same range of each other.

My 05 G35 Sedan 6mt, REV-UP dynoed stock 255 hp 232 tq. After MREV it went to 253 hp and 244tq (of course this is peak). This is exactly the same as the REV-UP Z dynos stock.
i seen a revup G35 coupe dyno less then me, there intake isnt as efficient stock as the 350z.

I love my 2006 350z. Its a nice hybrid of technologies even though its only 30% different from the reg DE i like the top end benefits. I still believe the bolton revup can his 300rwhp tuned without piston or internal work beyond cams with a standalone. And thats been my misson . The DE from z1 hit 300rwhp but with alot of work. No HR has hit 300rwhp on a dynojet SAE and thats my goal after that with some nitrous and a proper suspension tire setup should make out for a very nice sports car.

G35s i noticed do not come with CF driveshafts...i thought that was a nice distinqtion between the 2.

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-30-2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

How can you say that as a fact? My g35 dynoed more than most 350z do stock for a intake that isn't as efficient as a 350z.

They don't come with CF, but they have Alum driveshafts and aren't that much heavier than the CF one. You see no difference in gains between the two cars.

i seen a revup G35 coupe dyno less then me, there intake isnt as efficient stock as the 350z.

I love my 2006 350z. Its a nice hybrid of technologies even though its only 30% different from the reg DE i like the top end benefits. I still believe the bolton revup can his 300rwhp tuned without piston or internal work beyond cams with a standalone. And thats been my misson . The DE from z1 hit 300rwhp but with alot of work. No HR has hit 300rwhp on a dynojet SAE and thats my goal after that with some nitrous and a proper suspension tire setup should make out for a very nice sports car.

G35s i noticed do not come with CF driveshafts...i thought that was a nice distinqtion between the 2.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 AM
RBlover69

You taking this to seriously...they should dyno the same, but from what i seen they dyno the same when the intake tube is swapped for the Z tube..hey i didnt make this up its what i have seen but yea there the same engine . But for the most part they should always be equal its the same damn engine. Just a heavier car with heavier components.

And i dont care what the driveshafts are made of , its just nice to know where there minds where when developing both obviously the more performance oriented components went into the Z. But the engine output should be the same. However the Gs stock intake tube is rather horrid. lol a very minor thing .
Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 AM
RBlover69

How can you say that as a fact? My g35 dynoed more than most 350z do stock for a intake that isn't as efficient as a 350z.

They don't come with CF, but they have Alum driveshafts and aren't that much heavier than the CF one. You see no difference in gains between the two cars.
and how can you say that rediculous statement, just because you dyno'd your G at whatever place doesnt mean it dyno'd better then most 350z. Thats a preety general statement. You witness every 350z dyno to say most lmao.

was your dyno SAE STD dyno jet ..so much factors im sure they could be more then enough reasons why you should see that those braggin rights are not much to brag about.. But hey did your 1/4 times result in better times then stock Zs. Thats the real question lol.

And you do see the gains with the shafts with weight obviously we drive pig heavy cars shaving off pounds is essential depending on how you look at it. But for the DD your right it really doesnt matter.

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-30-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Shadrackc

Wow, what an argument. I looked at the G37 Coupe when I was looking at the 07 Z. Nice, luxury, backseat......at the end of the day, the 350Z is a faster car than the G37 is. One was built to be a sports car. One was built to be a "best of both worlds" type of vehicle. You have to choose. Luxury and room for 4 (kind of!) or lighter and quicker. I chose lighter and quicker. Still think the G37 is a beautiful car, but as sporty looking as a Z? Nope. As quick? Nope. Pretty close? You bet. Nissan built the cars for specific purposes, this isn't a case of "ford - mustang......mercury - capri" here.
As far as the 06 vs 07 battle, really, is it a battle? Same driver in each car, the 07 is faster. I don't think that is up for argument. Is one easier to mod? I hope so, it has been out since 03. I'm still waiting to see what options I have as far as FI on an 07. Now I may not care to do too much since I ordered a Strosek Wing, did the tint, and some mods that have made mine unique, but how much speed do I need? Car is limited to 156 from what I hear, so first I would love to find out how to get rid of that little computer nugget. Anyone know where I would get that done up here in Canada? Next I'm going to redo the space where the nav would have gone with a touch screen and full car computer with GPS, video, windows media center, etc, wired into the factory Bose with XM satellite. Why keep the bose? Because it fits nice, works well, and I don't need more volume than it provides. Think once you start to go too far, you permantly change the car. I'm going to add, not replace.

Last edited by Shadrackc; 12-30-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:31 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

You taking this to seriously...they should dyno the same, but from what i seen they dyno the same when the intake tube is swapped for the Z tube..hey i didnt make this up its what i have seen but yea there the same engine . But for the most part they should always be equal its the same damn engine. Just a heavier car with heavier components.

And i dont care what the driveshafts are made of , its just nice to know where there minds where when developing both obviously the more performance oriented components went into the Z. But the engine output should be the same. However the Gs stock intake tube is rather horrid. lol a very minor thing .
Truthfully I can't recall if I had my ZTube on or not for that dyno. I did buy one but it's been so long.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:32 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Shadrackc
Wow, what an argument. I looked at the G37 Coupe when I was looking at the 07 Z. Nice, luxury, backseat......at the end of the day, the 350Z is a faster car than the G37 is. One was built to be a sports car. One was built to be a "best of both worlds" type of vehicle. You have to choose. Luxury and room for 4 (kind of!) or lighter and quicker. I chose lighter and quicker. Still think the G37 is a beautiful car, but as sporty looking as a Z? Nope. As quick? Nope. Pretty close? You bet. Nissan built the cars for specific purposes, this isn't a case of "ford - mustang......mercury - capri" here.
As far as the 06 vs 07 battle, really, is it a battle? Same driver in each car, the 07 is faster. I don't think that is up for argument. Is one easier to mod? I hope so, it has been out since 03. I'm still waiting to see what options I have as far as FI on an 07. Now I may not care to do too much since I ordered a Strosek Wing, did the tint, and some mods that have made mine unique, but how much speed do I need? Car is limited to 156 from what I hear, so first I would love to find out how to get rid of that little computer nugget. Anyone know where I would get that done up here in Canada? Next I'm going to redo the space where the nav would have gone with a touch screen and full car computer with GPS, video, windows media center, etc, wired into the factory Bose with XM satellite. Why keep the bose? Because it fits nice, works well, and I don't need more volume than it provides. Think once you start to go too far, you permantly change the car. I'm going to add, not replace.
Its not a argument. Buy no means just talking...i havent heard anything hear to argue about just opinions .lol. But yea the 07 is def faster. Barnone. But no to the extent that some people make it out to be to say that a bolt on Z is a joke if it isnt a HR. That to me is retarted.

i acutally agree with most of whats being said...its just talking lol
Old 12-30-2007, 08:33 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

and how can you say that rediculous statement, just because you dyno'd your G at whatever place doesnt mean it dyno'd better then most 350z. Thats a preety general statement. You witness every 350z dyno to say most lmao.

was your dyno SAE STD dyno jet ..so much factors im sure they could be more then enough reasons why you should see that those braggin rights are not much to brag about.. But hey did your 1/4 times result in better times then stock Zs. Thats the real question lol.

And you do see the gains with the shafts with weight obviously we drive pig heavy cars shaving off pounds is essential depending on how you look at it. But for the DD your right it really doesnt matter.
How can you say a rediculous statement that the Z dynos more than the G? LOL!

I dynoed at a Z meet at a dyno with at least 15 other 350Zs, mine was one of the highest cars to dyno.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 AM
RBlover69

How can you say a rediculous statement that the Z dynos more than the G? LOL!

I dynoed at a Z meet at a dyno with at least 15 other 350Zs, mine was one of the highest cars to dyno.
i said from WHAT I SEEN meaning the last dyno meet i been to.( 4 dyno meets in NYC) ( 2 dyno meets here in florida) I never said most g35s in general that statement would be preety stupid. They dynos virtually the same with the Z tube in . Thats why i said its negliable and not worth even mentioning as far as power between the 2.

Quick Reply: Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?