Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Oh wait, you actually found a requirement in the G? But you said the G especially the Sedan doesn't require it. lol
You said 03-06 6MT required premium. They clearly don't, as 03-04 can run on 87 regardless of transmission. Which means that only 05-06 Rev-ups require premium, which makes perfect sense.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:54 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
First, please learn how to use proper English, because I have no idea wtf you said in the bolded part.

What the hell? Where did I do that? I said that autos can use 87 because the ECU was tuned for it. I never said 87 was recommended. I even said:

I seriously don't even know wtf you're talking about anymore. My original point was simply that the three cars can run on 87 without immediate side-effects. Which is completely true. You said they couldn't, not even the M35. I proved you wrong. You said the EX35 was the only one. And again, I proved you wrong.

Good. F-ing day.

Dingbat.
I never said they couldn't. You said they didn't require premium especially the sedan when indeed you were wrong. I proved you wrong too many times to tell. The tuning is NO DIFFERENT between a Coupe Auto and a Sedan Auto. Both need premium to run good, both react the same way with 87 octane. The Z will act the same as those cars do on 87 octane. Like I originally said ANY CAR can run on 87 octane, but it is recommended THEY DON'T in these cars.

Go prove me wrong. Pull some snips out of what I said that YOU think is wrong and prove it. Until then STFU. I am done here anyways, you have yet to prove me wrong and you are a waste of my time. I have over 13 years of VQ experience and working on Nissans to know what is required and what isn't. I have actually owned over 8 VQ powered cars since 1995.

Last edited by SOLO-350Z; 12-30-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:55 PM
SniperHunter

I'm seriously going to drop this. This is the dumbest discussion I've been a part of here. What I said sticks: G35s, with the exception of 05-06 6MTS (happy now, SOLO?), M35s, and FX35s can all be ran on 87 with no side effects. Premium is recommended, but not required.

It is one of the reasons between the difference in power and power ratings between that engine and the engine in the 350Z, more specifically the 2006.

How about that, SOLO? Or is there more fire left to burn?

The Z will act the same as those cars do on 87 octane. Like I originally said ANY CAR can run on 87 octane, but it is recommended THEY DON'T in these cars.
So painfully wrong. Hahahahahaha. A Z will ping like mad and have issues running 87. An auto G35 will not.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

You said 03-06 6MT required premium. They clearly don't, as 03-04 can run on 87 regardless of transmission. Which means that only 05-06 Rev-ups require premium, which makes perfect sense.
And you said all G35 sedans didn't require premium and you were wrong and I corrected you on that. On the doors of all the sedans 6mts it says Premium fuel required, even on the 03-04 models. Go ask the owners.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:00 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Wow it took this long to get you right and you learned something now.

Amazing. And guess what? The 350z has no difference in power to the G35 brother period. Dynos prove that. You can't go by the lies of what Nissan says the car was rated at when in reality they all dynoed the same as each other.

The auto G's do ping on 87 octane. Again read g35driver.

I'm seriously going to drop this. This is the dumbest discussion I've been a part of here. What I said sticks: G35s, with the exception of 05-06 6MTS (happy now, SOLO?), M35s, and FX35s can all be ran on 87 with no side effects. Premium is recommended, but not required.

It is one of the reasons between the difference in power and power ratings between that engine and the engine in the 350Z, more specifically the 2006.

So painfully wrong. Hahahahahaha. A Z will ping like mad and have issues running 87. An auto G35 will not.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:03 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Wow it took this long to get you right and you learned something now.

Amazing. And guess what? The 350z has no difference in power to the G35 brother period. Dynos prove that. You can't go by the lies of what Nissan says the car was rated at when in reality they all dynoed the same as each other.

The auto G's do ping on 87 octane. Again read g35driver.
I've seen enough dynos to know Gs dyno lower. And I have a close friend with an 06 auto who's been running 87 on his for 29k miles. No ping. No nothing. I know of another guy who had his Z filled up with 87 (New Jersey doesn't allow for self-service), and it pinged like a mad man and ran awful.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Okay I am done here...but I am just going to end it as this:

2003 G35 Sedan 6mt - Premium recommended in owners manual but required on car door.
2003 G35 Sedan Auto - Recommended 91+ octane but not required (will ping)
2003 G35 Coupe Auto/6mt - Premium Required (Same tune as sedan but it's required on the coupe)
2004 G35 Sedan 6mt - Same as above
2004 G35 Coupe/Sedan Auto - Premium Required Coupe (Same tune as sedan/coupe but it's required on the Coupe) Recommended 91+ octane on Sedan but not required (will ping)
2005 G35 Sedan 6mt - Required Premium
2005 G35 Sedan/Coupe Auto - Premium Required on the auto but not on the sedan and both cars have the same ECU tune)
2006 G35 Sedan 6mt - Required
2006 G35 Sedan/Coupe Auto - Premium Required on the auto but not on the sedan and both cars have the same ECU tune)
2007 G35 Sedan 6mt - Required
2007 G35 Sedan auto/Coupe - Unknown

2003-2007 350Z - Premium Required but same tune as the G35's in either 6mt or auto.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:08 PM
SniperHunter

I'll agree to disagree.

Now come and give me a kiss.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I've seen enough dynos to know Gs dyno lower. And I have a close friend with an 06 auto who's been running 87 on his for 29k miles. No ping. No nothing. I know of another guy who had his Z filled up with 87 (New Jersey doesn't allow for self-service), and it pinged like a mad man and ran awful.
They do not dyno lower period. This has been proven many years ago all the cars dyno the same. My G35 Sedan 6mt, 2005 dynoed 255 hp and 232 tq same as the REV-UP 350z, actually more than some. Same dyno.

My 04 Dynoed more than a equivlent 04 350z as well.

You bet, he can run 87 and not notice ping because the ECU retarded the timing back like it does with any of the cars to prevent the ping. But it did ping. The Z will also retard it's timing back. Seen it.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

I have owned an '03 350Z and an '06 G35.

All Z and G owners manuals recommend premium fuel. They will all run on 87 octane fuel, because they have a knock sensor. They will all run better with premium, because that is how they are tuned.

Why are you arguing such a stupid point. Are you a moron? Have you owned both? Are you just talking out of your ***?

Arguing "recommended" vs. "required" is a moot point. If you are not putting premium in, you do no harm, but you do not get maximum efficiency.

PS - I ran my 350Z on regular, and it did not knock/ping, but it was sluggish at high RPMs. Your second-hand tales hold no water, chump.

Last edited by RoadRagerInTherapy; 12-30-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:28 PM
ahero4eternity
Vendor - Former Vendor

If we're going strictly by what the Owner's Manual says, then...

Sedan - Automatic transmission models

Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane reading of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 91).

For improved vehicle performance, INFINITI recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Research octane number 96).
Sedan - Manual transmission and Coupe models

Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane reading of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with on octane rating of 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

- Have the fuel tanks filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.
^the above quotes are verbatim from the 2006 Owner's Manual.

Again, if we are going strictly by the Owner's Manual only, then...

Sedan Automatics can take Regular Unleaded, but Premium is recommended.

Sedan Manuals, Coupe Automatics & Manuals require Premium Unleaded.

One more time...by the Owner's Manual only...

ALL Coupes are required to take Premium Unleaded.

ONLY Sedan Automatics should take Regular Unleaded, but Premium Unleaded is recommended (not required).

Last edited by ahero4eternity; 12-30-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Shadrackc

Wow. You guys having a bad end of year? This is a waste of space on this forum! Recommended and Required mean 2 different things. If premium is recommended and you want to run regular, great. Honestly, the fact that this is even a topic of argument is ridiculous and at some point one or the other of you has to realize that. It does look like there is a difference in the requirements of the MT vs the AT, which would make sense. Hopefully, that is ok that you both are correct, to some degree. Why don't we leave it at that and concentrate on the question I had about where in Canada I would get the speed limit on the ECU changed. Hopefully, you guys will have the same type of desire to help me out on that as you did on proving each other wrong.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

So lets just end this thread on a happy note.
1) HR stock = faster than DEs & Rev-ups with bolt ons.
2) Please don't be stingy and use premium gas.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
ahero4eternity
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'm seriously going to drop this. This is the dumbest discussion I've been a part of here.
Agreed.

What I said sticks: G35s, with the exception of 05-06 6MTS (happy now, SOLO?), M35s, and FX35s can all be ran on 87 with no side effects. Premium is recommended, but not required.
All G35 Coupes, regardless of transmission, require Premium Unleaded Gas.

Sedan Automatics can take Regular Unleaded Gas, but are recommended to use Premium.

Sedan Manuals require Premium Unleaded Gas.

You think the few difference in ponies is due to the differences in grades of gases used? ROFL
Old 12-30-2007, 04:47 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity

You think the few difference in ponies is due to the differences in grades of gases used? ROFL
What? I said one of. Not the reason. I specified the differences in an earlier post. Please don't put words in my mouth.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:03 PM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Please don't put words in my mouth.
I am an argumentative **** who wouldn't know a knock sensor from my ***.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:16 PM
13SECZ

you cant say that the HR is faster stock then a Rev up w/bolt ons...It depends on the bolt ons and the tune....I cant see an HR beating me..not stock....
Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
EludeR

Originally Posted by 13SECZ
you cant say that the HR is faster stock then a Rev up w/bolt ons...It depends on the bolt ons and the tune....I cant see an HR beating me..not stock....
I have put nearly 4 car lengths on my buddies 05 (revup with a pop charger + plenum spacer + nismo exhaust). For the record... my 07 is bone stock.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
EludeR

This thread reminds me of the LT1 vs LS1 discussions (back when the ls1 was first released) with the F body guys. Bottom line is the LT1 is a great engine and still potent , but the LS1 is just that much better and very responsive to mods. The same can be said with the DE to HR argument. Don't see why people are trying to argue this.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Shadrackc

I understand why the argument goes on, lets face it, I would be a little miffed if I bought an 06 new and then found out all the major changes to the 07. In fact, when I was looking for a new car, the dealer had a new carbon 06 on the showroom floor. They were going to part with it for 10K less. Exact same GT as the 07 I was looking at except for color. The sales guy even went so far as to tell me that they were EXACTLY the same except for how they measure HP in the 07. I went home, did some research, and found out that there is an 80% difference in the engine, according to Nissan. I opted out to buy the new 07 because of the changes, and I actually like the hood bump and the GT rims on the 07 were the higher end ones than were on the 06.
I have no regrets, and yes, I know what I could have done to the 06 with the extra 10K, but I don't plan on modding too much so I wanted it to be close to what I wanted from the beginning. The 06 I would have had to mod to get a little more oomph.
As it sits, I got lucky, because the only 07 MT that I could find in Canada was one that was being held on the showroom floor in a dealership in Hamilton that had been modded by the dealership to make it unique, so I ended up getting an FI true dual exhaust, and all of the mods you see listed for an additional 1500 bucks and all covered by factory warranty.

Quick Reply: Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?