2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

list of things to check on your Z after service

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 09:49 PM
DmitryZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default list of things to check on your Z after service

My previous post disappeared due to our big server crash so here we go again:

For the past couple of months I’ve been noticing a lot of complaints regarding cars being damaged after routine maintenance/service etc was done at the dealer. From past experience with other cars I learned that in order to get the dealer to fix the damages they must be discovered BEFORE you leave the dealership.

Common Example:
Mission impossible = Picking up your Z after your tires are balanced, rotated, or whatever - washing it a week later only to discover that all of your rims are scratched and then bringing it back to the dealership and trying to get them to pick up the tab for the repair.

Personally, I have a growing list of things that I always check after I get my car back from the dealer. I think my version can be significantly improved so feel free to add/comment.

1. Check that the work that was supposed to be done was actually done.
2. Walk around my car to make sure there are no dings/scratches that were not there before. (Yes I do know and remember every single ding/scratch that is on my car right now)
3. Wheels-Check for scratches on the outside, inside lug nut holes, and on the inside rim.
4. Interior has to be clean and stain free i.e. no grease/oil on the carpet, seat, steering wheel, and shifter.
5. Odometer.
6. When driving away (stereo off) listen for any sounds that were not there before
7. When driving away try to see if there are any unusual vibrations (I have worked in a car shop long time ago, and honestly, forgetting to tighten lug nuts is not as uncommon as it sounds!)

I know this can be improved so help me out. I will try to keep track of the whole thing so we can have a single complete list at the end.

Dmitry

P.S. I wasn't sure if this should go in repair forum + I wanted more participation but feel free to move this thread
Old 07-07-2003, 08:07 AM
Vestas

Well if you want to get real down and dirty here's some other things to check:

1. Check all storage compartments, make sure everything you left there is still there (and nothing you didn't put there is in there now).

2. Check radio settings, worst case radio is reset (if they unplugged the battery), if your presets have changed report it (someone was using it).

3. Open the hood, verify no tools have been left there (yes this can happen). Also make sure things like your dipstick are in place etc.., check factory wire connections and anything you may have installed (stereo, grounding kit etc.)

4. Don't just look for scratches, look for repaints. Some dealers will attempt to repair the car if they seriously damage it so look for paint discoloration (good idea anyway, as they may have spilled fluids on it).

5. Make sure the cars electronics still work, turn on and off VDC/Traction control, check the cruise control, all external lights (very common to have tailights/headlights not work after dealer service), all internal lights. Open the fuse box verify all fuses are in place.

Most importantly do ALL of this (and above) BEFORE you even drive the car off the lot. And number one rule:

1. Take pictures of your car before service. Get close up shots of the rims, the door panels, fenders and front/rear bumpers. This is so you have some kind of record.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:30 AM
DumbGenius

This sound obvious but happened to me.

Check the tires to ensure that the tire from the back isn't placed in the front. Also, the rotation direction is correct on all tires.

Check the tire pressure gauge functions.

Check that the lock lug is returned and is the correct one for your car.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:37 PM
DmitryZ

Originally posted by Vestas

1. Take pictures of your car before service. Get close up shots of the rims, the door panels, fenders and front/rear bumpers. This is so you have some kind of record.

And I thought I was ****.. j/k

Maybe this is not such a bad idea. It will put my digital camera to good use.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:40 PM
DmitryZ

Originally posted by DumbGenius
This sound obvious but happened to me.

Check the tires to ensure that the tire from the back isn't placed in the front. Also, the rotation direction is correct on all tires.

Check the tire pressure gauge functions.

Check that the lock lug is returned and is the correct one for your car.

I thought our cars have some kind of a pin that prevents the rear tires to be mounted on the front?

Funny you mention the lock lug. The dealer installed the nissan lock for free on my car - they never ask for the key when they do service. Makes me wonder-what is the point of a lock lug if the key is readily available?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:53 AM
rocker_lx

Originally posted by Vestas
Well if you want to get real down and dirty here's some other things to check:

1. Check all storage compartments, make sure everything you left there is still there (and nothing you didn't put there is in there now).

My sister once got a replacement car while her was serviced, and she discovered a plastic back which conntained gras, in the storage compartment which contains the documents of the car
Old 07-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Vestas

Yeah, pictures is a bit ****, but I highly recommend you at least get pictures of your wheels before taking your car in to have tires mounted/balanced or rotated etc. Rim damage is far too common from service centers and often they like to claim you already did the damage. A picture is worth a thousand words.

As for checking storage compartments, yup, just a good idea. It takes you an extra 30 seconds to check and you never know what some schmuck may have left in there. Once or twice I've found shop tools in the compartments etc. Only bugged me because I wanted to know why they would leave a shop tool in my glove compartment etc. But yeah, I'm sure some people have some horror stories about what they found left in their cars after service.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Blue Liquid

I always go into the bay and watch the guy do minor work like putting new tires on wheels. I once caught some kid putting directional tires on and he put two of them in the same direction for the fronts, i.e. I would have had two 'left' wheels, if you know what I mean. Also, odometer picture is very important. My brother's S2000 came back from an inspection with an extra 15 miles. He let it go but I would have sued or kicked *** or something. Some punk mechanic is not going to joy ride and beat the hell out of my car. Now I always check and/or digitally photograph (with timestamp) my odo before it goes in. If I have to leave the car overnight, I casually tell the guy working on the car or store manager my story, not threateningly, but just so he knows I'll be checking mine when I get it back.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:28 AM
DumbGenius

Odometer reading in this case may not work. Since to reset the pressure sensor, the car has to be driven to 15 miles/hour or something like that. If your pressure sensor has to be reset, it has to be driven.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Blue Liquid

That's reasonable and expected. 15 miles is criminal. There are a few repairs that require the tech to drive the car afterward, but they'll never need to go many miles. I would venture to say anything over a mile is starting to be suspect.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:00 PM
DmitryZ

With all this mileage talk I have to point out that my dealership makes me give them EXACT mileage every time I bring in my car. Approximately does not count and if I don’t remember they won’t take my keys until I give them the exact number.

Dmitry