Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any ham radio operators drive the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:07 PM
dchengmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ham radio operators drive the Z?

Heya,

I'm currently shopping around for a 2004 Track Model Z, and found these forums - they're great!

Anyway, does anyone here have any experience with mounting a mobile amateur radio antenna on the Z? If so, what did you use (glass mount, mag mount, hatch lip), and how did it work? I currently use a small Yaesu VX-7R quad-band handheld mostly for 2m and 70cm, but I'm also considering putting in a mobile rig like a Yaesu FT-8900.

I'm considering buying a Larsen glassmount with a short 2m/70cm mobile whip antenna, versus just using a Diamond magmount and 41" whip, but I have concerns about the magmount damaging the finish of the car.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:03 AM
k2we

Well.. I've been a Ham for almost 40 years now and I would not think of installing any radio gear in the "Z". All these ECU controlled cars work very poor when it comes to RF levels of over 10 watts. I had a friend with a late model 300ZX and when I keyed up my 50 watt 2 meter radio next to him, his car would stall!! Plus installing an antenna would be a real pain and look really bad.. All my radio gear is in my GMC Yukon where there is a ton of space and no RF problems..

Good Luck..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 12,845 miles since Sept 17th...
Old 09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Chris S

The Z is meant for driving, not for talking on a ham radio!

To each his own, but I'd want a less involved (and quieter) driving experience if I was planning to cruise around chatting on a radio...
Old 09-02-2003, 04:53 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by Chris S
The Z is meant for driving, not for talking on a ham radio!

To each his own, but I'd want a less involved (and quieter) driving experience if I was planning to cruise around chatting on a radio...
While I do understand your point, I guess you really do need to have a license and know a little bit more about the amateur radio service before making a statement like the one above. Aside from it being a hobby, it also serves a very useful purpose when emergencies or disasters happen and other forms of communication are not available. During times of non-emergencies, I can get directions, report traffic accidents or slowdowns, and even make phone calls using a radio if I like. It's more than just ragchewing, and it's certainly more than the free-for-all that most know as CB radio.

Most ham radio manufacturers make radio rigs designed specifically to be placed in vehicles, so it's not like I'm trying to do something that's out of the ordinary. One of the basic goals of ham radio is to test your signal transmission and readability from different locations and environments, and having a mobile rig in a car is an ideal way to do that.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:57 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by k2we
Well.. I've been a Ham for almost 40 years now and I would not think of installing any radio gear in the "Z". All these ECU controlled cars work very poor when it comes to RF levels of over 10 watts. I had a friend with a late model 300ZX and when I keyed up my 50 watt 2 meter radio next to him, his car would stall!! Plus installing an antenna would be a real pain and look really bad.. All my radio gear is in my GMC Yukon where there is a ton of space and no RF problems..
Hi Steve,

Yikes, that's kind of scary. I know RFI can do some nasty things, but stall a car? I can picture some scenarios where I would just HATE to have that happen.

I'm only planning to run QRP stations, in the range of 5 to 8 watts for the most part, so I figured anything to get the antenna out of the car would beat me having to use my handheld with a rubber duck. While a magmount is a nice solution for some cars, I simply haven't found a good place to put one on a Z. Plus, you're right - adding another antenna (especially a long 41" whip) would make the car REALLY ugly.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Z33

Larsen glass-mount works OK, mine with an ft-90. I plan to eventually remote the front panel to the sunglass-holder area, but haven't yet. If you can stand the idea of a trailor hitch, that would be a nice place for a really Long whip.....

73 de AG4NA
Old 09-02-2003, 06:06 PM
BlackFLZ

QSL!
But agree with Chris. I keep the two seperate. I use the old Toyota Pickup to haul tower sections around. Although I did have a thought of doing the Florida QSO Party in the Z, just to see if I could hit 50+ counties in 20 hours. Nah, I'm going to the Florida Z meet.

See ya in WW, SS, and ARRL 10

Jeff
WC4E / N4AO / Team PJ2T
2003 SB Touring
Old 09-02-2003, 06:42 PM
dchengmd

Well, at least I'm glad that there are some hams around here who also drive Zs Gonna be one of them in about a month or two.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I think the bottom line is, why ruin the beautiful look of the Z with an ugly antenna? I guess I'll stick to my handheld and 'duck.

73!
Old 09-03-2003, 02:34 PM
fred_richmond

Handheld and a duck are the way to go.

Fred
KD6AR
Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
stephen6ipa

Hi Guys, Just picked up 2006 Z Convertible. I have never been so Stumped as to where to mount my antennas and Icom 706. I tore out the lining in the trunk to see what might present itself and got nothing. Ideally, I would have liked to A) put the base of the radio in the back and fish the remote head wires to the cockpit and B) fabricate a durable length of metal that I can screw to the frame (from underneath) of the body and shoot it out through the back under the trunk. (ie ______I ) And mount some antenna(s) to that. Let me know what you all think? Also, anyone know how much current the 12v accessory plugs can handle? That might save me a few holes in the interior. Thanks, Stephen