Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM
TARGET350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power window motors
Old 06-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Clon3

- Door likes to shut itself. Hard to get in/out of the car.
- Framless windows. Looks good but it gets on my nerves when passenger pushes the window to close the door.
- Trunk space.
- Extremely high clutch engagement.
- Clutch travel distance too long.
- Cheap interior. wtf is that passenger cup holder.
- Rear visibility

Still love mah Z!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
RedlineAZ

That the shiz is cursed! I can't leave it anywhere without something happening to it.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
jtmk90

Originally Posted by megab0i
^dang that sucks...

...i would have to say the grease streaks on the '03 Zs. pain in the *** to constantly keep wiping them off. when i got the kit that supposedly fixes it...the window motors go out. lol! FML!
yea my drivers side window streaked too, but went away after i got my windows tinted.....
Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by remixz
Im 3rd owner of this Z, had to take out door lock to figure out new key, the original key didnt work since 1st owner changed it from the looks. Then, no after market chipped keys worked, had to go with Nissan Master Key $125 a pop, finally worked... So I got lock box for inside of car for master keya nd will use unchipped/remote for keychain.

Whata headache!
Funny you say that....when I bought my car, I had a spare key and I guess for some reason it wasn't programed correctly(or so they tell me) so one day when I can't find my keys, I use the spare and it works fine. Then, after my work shift is over, my car wont start! I had to leave it in the parking lot, and the next day a nissan tech had to come and they figured out it was due to bad programming of the spare, and since I tried to use it and crank it too many times it blocked everything out and BOTH keys had to be reprogrammed to the car. I don't know if that's a safety feature or a malfunction, but it was a pain in the butt regardless!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 PM
hartsickdiscipl

Originally Posted by Corbic
1. Crap Paint, made worse by the fact that mine is black. Swirled, scuffed and rock' chipped to hell.

2. Performance Mods- Everything is a waste of money and time unless you go FI or LS which are both $$ in the Z. The car gets walked on by kids in their turbo-sport compacts, and the Domestic V8 crowd is able to drastically improve performance for cheap with bolt-ons, cams, and RP upgrades, which for them, is CHEAP.

3. Reliability... This has been my worst car. Airbag light is still blinking, I clear it, it's back in 20 minutes. Driver window went down one day, never came back up... that was a PITA swapping motors and it's still not right. Power-Steering rack and Pump died.. free thanks to warranty, rear hub-seized... that was $1,200.

4. Rear end feels weak, clicks, clocks and bangs around. It's never felt as solid as my 240's or Mustang have when launching.

These issues just all compound each other. If the paint/body had been easier to maintain and looked better, I could over look the lack of Go-Fast, or if I could have cheaply be in the low 13's then I could over look the reliability or visual issues.

Just a comment about the sounds you're hearing from the rear end. They're normal for this car. They're not a sign of weakness or overstress. Both my 05 and my 07 make a nice "BANG" when you hit a shift nice and hard. These are actually some of the stoutest factory trannies and rear ends in a production car in recent history.

Check this out:

http://www.spracingonline.com/projects/

They're running 9's with the stock transmission and rear end. Those are definitely NOT weak links in the 350z.. or in Z-cars of the past. I remember seeing an 8 or 9 second Z31 300zx with the stock 5-speed and rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd321il2xYk

Last edited by hartsickdiscipl; 06-27-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clon3
- Framless windows. Looks good but it gets on my nerves when passenger pushes the window to close the door.!
Why would anyone do this on ANY door, framed or frameless? Are your passengers 12? I'd be beating asses.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Clon3

Originally Posted by FineWine
Why would anyone do this on ANY door, framed or frameless? Are your passengers 12? I'd be beating asses.
Well you know on typical doors, there is a frame around the window. Most people get off the car and just push the frame part of it. However, with the Z, people still naturally push the same 'area' except our doors have no frame which means they push directly on the edge of the window. =\
Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 PM
vin088

you guys are scaring me, just sold my vette to get a 350z, this thread has at least opened my eyes to things to look for, any advice?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Corbic

Originally Posted by vin088
you guys are scaring me, just sold my vette to get a 350z, this thread has at least opened my eyes to things to look for, any advice?
...most people tend to do the opposite.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
riv_UT03z

dont be scared vin088 most things that are hated are little things ..

-power seat motor went out
-dash middle console doesnt like to close sometimes .. or when i push the gas it pops open
-guy before me put a different thing on the hatch and it pops off making the hatch fall
-door closes its self (sometimes nice i usually dont have to touch the door when i get out)

-streaks on window

-front bumper holes were drilled grrr!
-cd player doesn't work
-hmm yea thats all for now haha
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
OC_

Default The one thing i hate about my Z...

I don't really know what to call it other than 'Throttle Hang'. My car is an '07 so its an HR motor, but i think the older cars suffer this as well.
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but i have had my car for about a year now, and damn, its still annoying.
Unless your Z is the only manual car you ever driven, I'm sure you have noticed this. What I'm talking about is how the 'revs' or throttle hang for a little bit when you switch gears; when you transition from on throttle to off throttle. The problem is the revs just don't come down quick enough, forcing you to shift slowly to make a smooth shift.

You will notice it right away if you let someone else dive your car. When they shift, it will be jerky as hell until they get use to how the z's are.

Its so bad that if you try to shift quickly as in a racing situation, the RPM will be so mismatched to the next gear that you will grind when you shift. How did this ever make it out of Nissan!? I can shift my old FC rx-7 and my bro's NINETEEN EIGHTY NINE firebird so much faster than my Z (not to mention ever other car i have driven).

I know the problem lies in the tune of the engine. Nissan must have done this to give the car a more 'luxurious' feel. So when the car goes from on throttle to off throttle, it smoothly transitions hiding any slop in the drive line. I think they also did this to tame the turn-in of the car down a little bit, they must have worried about all the wanna-be schumuckers' out there wrapping the car around a tree in an off-throttle oversteer condition.

The question is, has anyone found something that fixes this? It would make this car just so much better!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Augustus46

I haven't notice this, but I will look/feel for it on my drive tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove a couple used 6MT '07 and '08 Zs when I was looking. I didn't notice the issue you're talking about. I didn't have any trouble at all shifting up or down, despite being many years out of practice.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:22 AM
SSZVirginia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no lag. I have driven the car for seven years.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No "throttle hang" for me either...in fact i find the opposite true. I need to shift quickly or the revs drop too fast for a smooth shift.

<--Factory dual-mass on DE

Maybe it's electronic throttle programming you can get fixed with an updated reflash from Nissan or aftermarket (Osiris)?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 AM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
The only thing bothering me is the damn white symbol for the garage door opener is wearing off prematurely—only way to fix it is to replace the whole mirror.

Whoever was complaining about wind noise through the seals...Your windows may need adjustment. I get the usually tire/road noise but the extra 1/4" the window's go up when you close the door should keep any wind from penetrating.

Here you go. A $22.41 fix. http://www.courtesyparts.com/swtch-mirr-p-599735.html

Last edited by geomark; 09-14-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: even cheaper
Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 AM
OC_

Originally Posted by Augustus46
I haven't notice this, but I will look/feel for it on my drive tomorrow.
What year is your car? maybe this is only on the HR motor? I tested a few cars before i selected mine, and they all had this issue. Just let someone else drive your car thats never driven a Z before. They will shift too quickly making choppy shifts.

i just found another guy that has noticed the same problem. http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/3...rive-wire.html

Maybe the people that don't notice it just shift slow?

Last edited by OC_; 09-14-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
zen350z

1. Windows streak and the passenger one is actually digging into my tint >=(
2. Passenger cup holder is cheap and broke.
3. Window seals leak air and sometimes water.
4. Have to turn off the stupid TCS everytime I start the car (It feels like fuel cut when your tires slip) and it is very annoying, they should have a memory function for that button so that it doesn't turn on everytime you start the car.
5. No front glove box.
6. Cruise control bezel on steering wheel surface is rubbing off.
7. Passenger window doesn't roll down when you open the door so you have to push on the window to close it or it will hit the plastic top cover.
8. Clutch pedal has way too much travel and is a pain in the butt unless your sitting in the right position.
9. Factory speakers are garbage.
10. Car makes clicking sound when you take off from a stop and sometimes when braking.
11. Back window has limited view.

I still enjoy the car.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
OC_

As far as the whole throttle hang thing in concerned, i found a whole thread with people talking about it. They said it can be tuned out with a stand alone or a flashed ecu.

Here is the link to the thread

this form automaticlly removes the domain name from the web address, you will have to replace the ***** with '350 - tech' (no spaces)

I would be a little scared about sending out my ecu to get flashed to fix this, because it seems that a lot of people don't even know it exists. I feel that the chances are high that i would get it back and the problem would still be there.

Last edited by OC_; 09-14-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you hate most about your 350z?