Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What do you hate most about your 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
"Too long" as in the total travel of the clutch is too far, but I also think the clutch engagement point is kind of a mystery. My daily driver souped-up econo box WRX has a shorter and stiffer clutch pedal action and more predictable clutch engagement point than my 300HP sports car. I'd hate to say it, but it almost makes the wrx more fun to drive thant he Z. I can see why so many people buy WRX / STi instead of 350z.

so get under the dash and adjust the clutch pedal to grab at a lower level of press and let go. it is not that hard to do.

Name:  CCF02032010_00000.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  122.7 KB
Name:  CCF02032010_00001.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  66.2 KB
Name:  CCF02032010_00002.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  83.5 KB

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 02-03-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
so get under the dash and adjust the clutch pedal to grab at a lower level of press and let go. it is not that hard to do.
Yeah I know about that. There is an entire thread in the Engine / Powertrain section about this. Half the people said they adjusted it and had no problems, the other half said they experienced excess vibration in the shift lever, partial clutch engagement when the pedal is depressed, increased synchro wear, etc. Also many people who praised the adjustment early in the thread later reported that the pedal eventally returned to its original position, which was speculated to be due to the clutch self-adjusting as it wore down.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Dr. Venture

Yeah I know about that. There is an entire thread in the Engine / Powertrain section about this. Half the people said they adjusted it and had no problems, the other half said they experienced excess vibration in the shift lever, partial clutch engagement when the pedal is depressed, increased synchro wear, etc. Also many people who praised the adjustment early in the thread later reported that the pedal eventally returned to its original position, which was speculated to be due to the clutch self-adjusting as it wore down.

well there is a right way and a wrong way to know how to adjust it. The avg joe may not be to weary on "how to." It is a trial and error procedure. And if it becomes worse after an adjustment it is usually due to people riding the clutch. Not everyone is Mario Andriette!

proper adjustment should have the clutch grab a tad b4 1/2 way mark of the release. Some people like it to grab right when they let go but thats to fast and some like it to grab way at the top which entails clutch riding. lil bit just b4 1/2 way mark is the ideal placement. In order do accomplish that you will have to trial and error it. You really do not have to drive it. Just put it in gear in place and feel for when the clutch starts to grab.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 02-03-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
well there is a right way and a wrong way to know how to adjust it. The avg joe may not be to weary on "how to." It is a trial and error procedure. And if it becomes worse after an adjustment it is usually due to people riding the clutch. Not everyone is Mario Andriette!

proper adjustment should have the clutch grab a tad b4 1/2 way mark of the release. Some people like it to grab right when they let go but thats to fast and some like it to grab way at the top which entails clutch riding. lil bit just b4 1/2 way mark is the ideal placement. In order do accomplish that you will have to trial and error it. You really do not have to drive it. Just put it in gear in place and feel for when the clutch starts to grab.
Thanks for the input. I know some of the people commenting in that thread had adjusted it too far (i.e. the clutch pedal was lower than the brake pedal) and naturally that will cause some problems.

I am also looking into the D-Wolf Clutch Kit, which I believe is basically a spacer block that goes on the back side of the clutch pedal to keep it from going all the way to the floor, and a spacer on the other side to keep it from returning to full height. I think it basically eliminates the "free play" of the pedal on both ends of its travel, but doesn't actually change the engagement point of the clutch, i.e. since the push rod is not adjusted there is no change to the clutch action itself. Instead the relative position of clutch engagement versus the resulting range of pedal travel is changed.

Do you have any experience with that?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for the input. I know some of the people commenting in that thread had adjusted it too far (i.e. the clutch pedal was lower than the brake pedal) and naturally that will cause some problems.

I am also looking into the D-Wolf Clutch Kit, which I believe is basically a spacer block that goes on the back side of the clutch pedal to keep it from going all the way to the floor, and a spacer on the other side to keep it from returning to full height. I think it basically eliminates the "free play" of the pedal on both ends of its travel, but doesn't actually change the engagement point of the clutch, i.e. since the push rod is not adjusted there is no change to the clutch action itself. Instead the relative position of clutch engagement versus the resulting range of pedal travel is changed.

Do you have any experience with that?
^^ You don’t want this for a Z. It’s not necessary and a waste in several ways, not to mention it might turn-out to be a liability.

I agree with Dr. Venture.

If you do not like the Z’s clutch travel or its engagement point, then use the available adjustment. If you move this outside the manufacturer’s specifications, you are in “new territory.” But, you should be able to set this they way you want without using an aftermarket product.

If you are in the 98% group that wants no change, then leave it as it is.

If you are in the 2% group wanting more or less travel and a different engagement point, use the adjustment (but of course, don’t get too crazy here).

--Spike
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weak door position indents

I love the Z and generally am very happy. The clutch is fine, the transmission may be a little notchy but not a big deal. My 5th gear synchros are starting to go, but I'll have that taken care of under warranty before it runs out.

No, the only thing that really bugs me about the Z on a regular basis is that when I park in my driveway, which has a very mild uphill slope, and I open the door partway (can't open all the way or I'll hit my car parked next to me) the indent that should hold the door in that position while I climb out is too weak and the door always wants to close. Not a big deal unless I've got stuff in my hands that I'm getting out of the car, such as my briefcase, a portfolio, etc... It would be nice to be able to get out of the car without having to use one hand to hold the door open in the process.

Likely it is just my advanced years and a bad knee which makes this inconvenient, but it is a constant annoyance.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM
konaforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-The fuel door doesn't pop out, so I have to pry it open.

-The engine is too course at high rpms

-The stereo isn't very good.

-You can hear all the pebbles hit the rear wheelwells.

-VW GTI this morning wouldn't let me pass him even though I was going my normal speed and felt the need to speed up when I approached him.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Drivers seat - switch (or motor) that moves it forward and back failed again.

(yes I tried electric contact cleaner and compressed air)

This is the SECOND time this has happened.

Apparently this is a common problem from what I read on the -Z- forums. NISSAN - GET IT FIXED !
Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Romanteni

Default hm

Pros: Chic magnet
Cons: Cop magnet

compromise: got pulled over by a young trainee lady cop in seattle!!! Got her number, going out this weekend
Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Just can't stop thinking about her. She won't let me go. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Dr. Venture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1FI2uFx6c

the drifting capabilities....lol!!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

I hate that now, since I've done all my dream mods to her, I can't drive it like I want to. I had to get special insurance (must not exceed blah-blah-blah milage in 1yr), my front bumper scrapes EVERYTHING!! ugh...and I am afraid to push the boost. :/ I fail...I want my stock Z back.

Or wait, I could buy another Z and leave it stock, just for DD!! Muhahahahaa.....
Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
haeshik

Originally Posted by Romanteni
Pros: Chic magnet
Cons: Cop magnet

compromise: got pulled over by a young trainee lady cop in seattle!!! Got her number, going out this weekend
bullsheit

pm some pics after the weekend

Last edited by haeshik; 05-03-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Highmiles43

Seats.
No lumbar support.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Well with Redline time attacks new 3.5 inch ride height rule , my new hate would be that the cats and Y pipe hang well below the unibody rails. They are the lowest point by far.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dhays
I love the Z and generally am very happy. The clutch is fine, the transmission may be a little notchy but not a big deal. My 5th gear synchros are starting to go, but I'll have that taken care of under warranty before it runs out.

No, the only thing that really bugs me about the Z on a regular basis is that when I park in my driveway, which has a very mild uphill slope, and I open the door partway (can't open all the way or I'll hit my car parked next to me) the indent that should hold the door in that position while I climb out is too weak and the door always wants to close. Not a big deal unless I've got stuff in my hands that I'm getting out of the car, such as my briefcase, a portfolio, etc... It would be nice to be able to get out of the car without having to use one hand to hold the door open in the process.

Likely it is just my advanced years and a bad knee which makes this inconvenient, but it is a constant annoyance.
Hey Dhays, the weak door detents (two position) is a pretty common complaint on the Z. Parallel parking on a road that has a crowned shape would tip my Z over enough to cause the door to bite my legs as per your experience. After a few times of this, I sought out a fix. There is a super nice retired car enthusiast down the block who does most of the maintenance duties on my car for me. He modified the mechanism enough to correct this.

If you look at the pivoting link between the door hinges you can see the two detent indents in the link rod. I think what he did is reshape the indents and slightly increase the detent pressure. My doors hold in the partially open position much more positively now, although it takes a little more assertive push to shut them. All in all a great trade off.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
PiNit17

The thing I hate most about my 03 track is the passenger seat belt. It keeps rattling if I don't put it back into this little slot/clop thing to hold it. I think Nissan fix this with their newer models. Maybe I shouldn't give people rides anymore so I won't have to keep clipping it back. I think I might just take out the seat belts and tell people I don't have seatbelts so I can't give them a ride. Haha.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The fact that all you ****ers have one too.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:13 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Reality350 put it best.

Low to No budget owners with modified mag pipe dreams

that and the increase in DD Z's that never get any TLC.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its in 200 pieces right now.

Quick Reply: What do you hate most about your 350z?