Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon - The Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:53 PM
seanrulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't find out there is a thread like this until now!
Although I live in Indiana I'll be staying at NC for 2 weeks this May and yes! What a great coincidence.
I'll definitely be there with couple of my friends.
There are still rooms left there right?
Can't wait to see all fellow Z enthusiasts!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:43 AM
bigdaddy

just a bump of sorts.

andy...maybe you can tell us more about this and help get your mind off your other troubles.

sorry about all that.

sean
Old 04-11-2004, 08:29 AM
aengus777

i'll be making the short drive from sylva ,nc so wont be needing a room but count me in if you are trying to track numbers. and , speaking of "track"----i'll be in a superblack 04 track with gunmetal volk GT7s . cant wait to meet you Z nuts.
also====thanks for all the work MCDUCK!!!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:44 PM
bigdaddy

aengus777...i'll be staying at my folks house up on fisher creek if you want to car pool up there. just let me know.

sean
Old 04-13-2004, 08:39 AM
aengus777

big daddy
i'm on monteith branch so we will only be acouple of miles away from each other.
i'll PM you before the date to see what we can get into!!!
cant wait.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:03 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An official update is coming soon, but I had to post how excited I'm getting about our turnout for the event.

Last I checked, we were over 40 rooms and cabins. I've had a lot of people, like sean and bigdaddy above, mention here or to me directly that they are going to drive in each day, but not stay at the resort.

Maybe we'll manage to pull in more than 100 cars! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, just a reminder that the dyno will only be at ZDayZ on Friday. If you plan to dyno, your best bet will be to try to get there early. I'm sure a lot of people will be arriving throughout the day Friday. The earlier you can arrive, the quicker you'll be able to get on and off the dyno to enjoy some of the mountain roads!

Finally, I have been asked many times if <CAR X> owners can come to the event. Certainly... ZDayZ is an event for everyone to come out and enjoy Z cars. Just because you do not own one doesn't mean you're not invited. The only thing is the car show is exclusively for Z cars and Z cars will be given priority for dyno time. Other than that, we welcome others to come up to the mountains and enjoy the ride with us!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:32 AM
n2az

I'm ready! Has anyone heard how the weather is gonna be?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

A little hard to predict 6 weeks in advance don't you think?
Old 04-18-2004, 11:53 AM
n2az

Only six more weeks?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:55 PM
mcduck

A little hard to predict 6 weeks in advance don't you think?
Hmph... and you call yourself a Zaino-Master! You should be able to foresee the weather at the event so you will know exactly when to put your last coat of Zaino on before the rain comes.

On a more serious note...
An announcement about our car show on Saturday will be coming by the middle of the week.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:14 AM
mcduck

ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon
Fontana Village Resort
Fontana, NC
May 21-23, 2004

Newsletter #6!

Today, we have a mixed bag of news….

ZDayZ Dyno Cancelled!
Well… after our long announcement last newsletter about finally lining up the dyno, it was decided that resources for ZDayZ could be put to better use. We very reluctantly came to this decision. As an enthusiast-oriented event, we really wanted to have the dyno available for attendees to show off their car’s power. However, two factors ultimately led to the decision to cancel the portable dyno.

First, between emails, forum posts, and face-to-face conversations at various events, it was becoming apparent there was only minimal interest in conducting dyno runs. Most clubs work a dyno day into their local events schedule and few expressed an interest in performing dyno runs on different equipment from what they have become accustomed to using.

Second, and more importantly, it seems most people are planning to arrive throughout the day on Friday. For the dyno runs to be affordable, we have to keep the dyno running pretty much all day. With few people arriving early enough to make use of the dyno Friday morning, we cannot realistically expect it to be running non-stop. As such, we would have to raise the cost of the dyno runs to cover the expense of getting it to ZDayZ. It is our opinion attendees can obtain dyno runs at a much more reasonable price during their club’s dyno day or locally than what we would ultimately have to charge for the portable dyno.

Hopefully, if we plan for a 2nd ZDayZ, we will be able to work this out better and possibly have one next year. For now, we decided to put the resources from the cancelled dyno into other items and activities for attendees to enjoy, including an expanded car show! So, with that in mind…

ZDayZ Car Show!
Here it is, folks… all the information you need about the ZDayZ car show that will take place Saturday, May 22nd between noon and 5:00pm at Fontana Village Resort.

The car show will be a People’s Choice event. For those unfamiliar with this format, it is really pretty simple. Each car show entrant will receive a ballot with blanks for each class. You simply walk around the show looking at all the cars and fill out your choice for each class. The cars that get the most votes win the trophies! A car show with judges and a point system was considered, but it was decided that a People’s Choice show better fits the motif of ZDayZ being an enthusiast event.

After the votes are tallied, an awards ceremony will be held where door prizes and trophies will be handed out. Trophies for the show will go to the two cars receiving the most votes in each class. Classes will be divided into each generation of Z-car and will include both a stock and a modified class for each generation. Yep… that means we’ll have 10 classes of participation and 20 class trophies! A modified car will be defined as any vehicle with more than 3 visible modifications. In addition, we will award a Best in Show trophy to the vehicle receiving the most votes overall. The next two cars in the class from which the Best in Show car comes will receive the 1st and 2nd place awards for that class.

Pre-registration for the car show is $15 and includes 2 free car show prize drawing raffle tickets (normally $1 each). If you decide to wait, you can register for the car show at ZDayZ, but the registration fee goes up to $20 and you only get 1 free prize drawing ticket. Additional raffle tickets will be available for purchase by anyone during the car show at a price of $1 each.

Those interested in pre-registering should email Andy Morris to obtain a registration form. There are two options to pay for pre-registration. You can send a completed registration form by mail along with a check or money order payment, OR you can email your completed form electronically and pay for your registration via PayPal. More detailed instructions are included on the registration form.

Pre-registration forms must be received no later than Wednesday, May 19,2004 whether submitted by mail or electronically!!!

ZDayZ Volunteers!
We are still looking for a few volunteers to help with ZDayZ logistics. At this point, it appears we will mostly need help during the car show to set up, getting cars parked, cleaning up, and with refreshments. If you think you can spare a little time to help out, please contact Andy at mcduck@earthlink.net.

That’s all we have today… information on prepping your car for ZDayZ driving and some good routes to take near Tail of the Dragon will be coming soon!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:34 AM
John

Hey guys, I just want to say, be careful. My roommate got a ticket on his RC51 for doing 45 in a 35 on Saturday, and he said the cops were crawling all over that place. In fact, he said he saw over a half dozen cops over the entire Tail of the Dragon stretch. Definitely not the way it used to be.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:48 AM
mcduck

The organizers of ZDayZ do not condone breaking the law (speeding, passing in no passing zones, etc). It is our hope that everyone attending ZDayZ will have a safe and enjoyable stay during their visit to the NC/TN mountain areas.

For those concerned about law enforcement, I suggest checking out the map at this link before driving in Graham County.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:40 AM
mcduck

ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon
Fontana Village Resort
Fontana, NC
May 21-23, 2004

Newsletter #7!

ZDayZ looms ever closer! As we approach the weekend of our mountain Z getaway, a few things to help you get prepared…

Car Show Giveaways!
Okay, we’ve been billing ZDayZ as a driving event from the start. So, let me be the last to try to dissuade you from driving the twisties as much as you can. With that in mind, think of the following instead as an encouraging nudge toward participating in our Saturday car show!

Our car show will be a People’s Choice show… the winners will be picked by the show participants. So, you think your car will be a little dusty after many spirited mountain road runs? So will everyone else’s! Haven’t faired well at car shows before? This show will be about having a car that appeals to everyone at ZDayZ, not about keeping a concourse trailer queen. Mostly, though, it’s about having fun and getting a chance to take a close look at everyone else’s ride (not just seeing them zip by the other way on the Dragon!). Who knows, you may get some good ideas on what to do next on your car from someone else. I know I have!

Oh, and did I mention the great prizes we’ll be giving away at the car show? Check out this partial list of prizes that will be part of our prize drawing (car show participants automatically get a few free raffle tickets!):

In no particular order…
  • Z32 & Z33 PopChargers from Jim Wolf Technologies!
  • A Crawford Version 5 plenum for the 350Z or G35 courtesy of Crawford Z Car Service!
  • Gift Certificates from Concept Z Performance!
  • Z-related merchandise donated by Courtesy Nissan Parts!
  • T-Shirts & other items provided by Tail of the Dragon.com!
  • Free lodging certificate from our host resort, Fontana Village!
  • … and whatever else we can find to thrown in!!!
The observant will note that we don’t have any Zaino items listed above. Zaino giveaways will be distributed during DrBonz’s two detailing sessions, one on Friday and one on Saturday. If there’s anything left over, we’ll throw it into the Car Show prize pot!

Finally, if that’s not incentive enough… we have Sport Z Magazine coming out to cover our event! That’s right, publisher Bob Bell will be there himself. We want to be sure to give him ample opportunity to take some great pictures of all our cars to put in the magazine. The car show gives us the perfect opportunity to show how many southeast Z cars we can get in one picture!

Remember, you can pre-register you car for the show for only $15. Registration at ZDayZ will be $20. If you want to pre-register, contact Andy Morris at mcduck@earthlink.net to get a pre-registration form. Pre-registration deadline is May 19, 2004.

Safety Tips for Mountain Driving
I’d like to thank Stacy King of the Triangle Z Club for providing the following information. I believe it is in everyone’s best interest if all drivers at ZDayZ would read and apply the suggestions he has provided. Above everything else, we would like for everyone to have a thoroughly enjoyable and safe visit to the NC mountains and the ZDayZ event.

I'll preface what comes next by saying you should always obey all posted speed limits and road-side postings. Obey all standard traffic rules and stay well within the boundaries of safe and responsible driving.

Driving on mountain roads is very much like driving on a racetrack - only much more dangerous. There are three general rules that need to be followed that will help minimize the risks.

#1 - Drive within your limits - If you've never been on a mountain ride before, you're in for a real treat. Know why you are there. If you are there for the view - then utilize the look-out stops, don't try to enjoy the scenery while driving. The roads will switchback on you quicker than you can figure out how to say "chicane" and before you know it you'll be in the other lane, on the armco, or worse, in a ravine with friends and strangers trying to figure out how to get you out. Pay attention.

If you're there for the roads, please be courteous to other drivers around you. Don't ride somebody who may be going slower than you. They may not have done this before and you don't want to get them nervous and squirrelly.

#2 - Drive within your car's limits - If you don't know your car's limits, mountains are NOT the place to learn them. Do you know what to do if your car starts to "push" or "understeer"? Do you know how to controlor prevent "oversteer"? Remember - mountain roads (most public roads for that matter) don't offer much run-off room in case you get in over your head. If you've never done an autocross or club high performance driving school, then you need to take it easy - don't try to always keep up with the guy in front of you.

#3 - Make sure your car is mechanically safe and sound - Follow this link to the Triangle Z Club track events page… http://members.***.net/trackevents/and download our technical inspection. Use it as a checklist to make sure your car will be up to the task of spirited mountain driving. Pay special attention to the brakes, tires, and steering components. Obviously some items won't apply to a mountain ride, but it is good practice to have these items checked out.

Brakes are going to be the single most important system during a mountain ride. If your brakes aren't up to snuff you will come down the mountain a lot faster than you went up… in a bad way. Ideally, you want a high-temp brake pad combined with a high-temp performance brake fluid. Most people will have a tendency to 'ride' the brakes when on descending roads. This is the single worst thing you can do while on the mountain. The friction used to slow the car will create very high temperatures that at best will make your brakes less responsive, and at worst will cause them to not work at all. Performance pads and fluid will increase the tolerances for this, but will not prevent it. Brakes need time to cool down between hard stops. That's the reason behind signs telling trucks to use lower gears and to keep their speed no more than 35 mph, even on a major highway like I-40, through the mountains. Use a lower gear to help keep the car from gaining too much momentum. Use your brakes in shorter burst as opposed to long periods (even continuous light pressure will heat them up in no time).

Make sure new pads are fully bedded in before going on a mountain ride. New pads can easily 'glaze over' causing a 'dead' pedal (very heavy pedal, no response). Brake fluid should be flushed and replaced with new before an event as well. High temps in inferior fluid cause air bubbles. As most of you know, air compresses easily. When this happens in brake fluid the air compresses and you get the dreaded 'pedal-to-the-floor' syndrome.

The following are items to have with you "just in case":
- Extra brake pads & fluid - basic tools to change
- Water for you & your car if either have a tendency to over-heat
- Map
- Cell phone

Factors to keep in mind at all times:
- Public roads (expect the unexpected)
- Traffic (oncoming or otherwise)
- Pay attention to changing road conditions
- Pay attention to changing car conditions

And by all means - don't do anything stupid that could endanger or embarrass you, your fellow drivers, or the event organizers. We really want to come back next year!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Sly_Z

Default Re: ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon - The Official Thread

This event is aimed at Z enthusiasts in NC, SC, TN, KY, GA, northern FL, VA, WV and anyone else who wants to make the drive!

So, if your from MD you can't come:-(
Old 05-05-2004, 07:34 AM
mcduck

Sure you can join us! That's why the post says "and anyone else who wants to make the drive!"
Old 05-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Sly_Z

Originally posted by mcduck
Sure you can join us! That's why the post says "and anyone else who wants to make the drive!"
I'll be in Fayetteville around that time I might stop by. Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 07:43 AM
mcduck

Opposite ends of NC, but if you're willing to drive, I'm sure you can find some people to hang out with.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Sly_Z

Well, If I don't make it you guys enjoy yourselves.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:36 PM
n2az

I'm a little concerned that Maryland may not be represented. If you are already in NC, it will be worth the drive. Western NC is beautiful and well worth the trip, especially in a Z! Pick out a good route and come on over.

Quick Reply: ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon - The Official Thread