Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Driving the Z to Monterey

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:58 AM
trains1937

Received 116 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Driving the Z to Monterey

On Wednesday I leave with a friend for the Concorso Italiano and Concours d'Elegance car shows in Monterey, CA. We will do it in two days, driving about 6 hours each day. I went last year by myself so the trip will be a lot easier this time. The Z was a great travel car on the California highways last year and I expect it to be the same this time. Will post some pics when I get back.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM
ndonnine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in monterey for a year. My Z wasn't out there at the time, but Highway 1 will be fun as hell for you to drive up and down.

I miss monterey :P If you want any local places to hit up let me know what you are looking for I could give you some names.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:40 PM
AmnCruzie

^ Same here, lived there for 2 yrs, but didn't have my Z those days... I wish I did! I would've loved to take it on Laguna Seca. OMFG that wouldve been so much fun!!!

OH! And you HAVE to have breakfast at the Old Monterey Cafe. The BEST breakfast in all of California!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am currently the "Area Representative" for the Monterey/Santa Cruz ZONC (Z Owners of Northern California, which includes Z's, G's, GTR's etc. Life here is a bliss. I live in Salinas and have a Annual Carmel Valley/Pebble Beach Run each Sept., being Sept 11th this year in which we go on a nice cruise, do the 17 mile drive on Pebble Beach, and I reserve half of the "Poppyhill Restaurant" on Pebble Beach itself for a buffet luncheon. We had 100+ cars on the 2009 event. You will enjoy the weather here, never hot, never cold and mostly sunny day in and day out. If you check out the Northern CA forum all the events are listed there and lots of locals you can even pm and get good info. By the way, "Grandma's Kitchen in Seaside on Fremont St. is a good restaurant to eat at if you get a chance. Have fun while you're here. Here's ZONC's website, if you want to check what's happening here also. http://zonc.org/

Last edited by WSchli1672; 08-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
ndonnine

I'll come stop by for a group event in 2011. I'm moving up to Sacramento in November. Thanks for the link I'll keep in touch.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 PM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
You will enjoy the weather here, never hot, never cold and mostly sunny day in and day out. If you check out the Northern CA forum all the events are listed there and lots of locals you can even pm and get good info.
I had a job offer near Monterey recently, and I turned it down because the cost of living was terrible (effectively it would have lowered my salary). How do you afford to live there? $1M mortgages, 17% state tax, etc? It is possible I am missing how the locals do it, maybe you can shed some light. I would love to drive the Z there.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
ndonnine

I was. Stationed there. That's how I afforded its
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought back in 12/2001, as prices then weren't so bad. Also having two incomes, retired military and working federal govt. helps too. Prices flew up but have come back down now also. It's just a matter of finding somebody hurting to sell their home, and grabbing before the market grabs it. I did...got a good deal with a decent % mortgage rate under 6%. nodonnie, I take it you were at Presidio, I go there and Fort Ord shopping. Another great way to same on costs. No tax and lower prices on most everything. i.e. I buy 3 cases of soda for $11.00, no tax, no crv charges. Another one would be things like Patene shampoo and rinse. I catch sales on base for $1.60 a bottle. and just a multitude of sales like this, stock up till next sale comes. That's the way to live on more for the $1 at lower cost of living. Gasoline isn't cheap though. So it's just a matter of catching good deals at the right time anywhere from homes to grocery shopping, to whatever you do. That's the secret to anywhere of course. Shopping on base there is no sales tax (No CA. or Fed. tax). Now that's where I can really save on anything from food, to clothing, housewares, furniture, you name it. It's not just how much you make, but how you use it that helps to make work.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monterey's a beautiful place for a drive. I went there a while back with family. Wish i could go again
Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
I bought back in 12/2001, as prices then weren't so bad. Also having two incomes, retired military and working federal govt. helps too. Prices flew up but have come back down now also. It's just a matter of finding somebody hurting to sell their home, and grabbing before the market grabs it. I did...got a good deal with a decent % mortgage rate under 6%. nodonnie, I take it you were at Presidio, I go there and Fort Ord shopping. Another great way to same on costs. No tax and lower prices on most everything. i.e. I buy 3 cases of soda for $11.00, no tax, no crv charges. Another one would be things like Patene shampoo and rinse. I catch sales on base for $1.60 a bottle. and just a multitude of sales like this, stock up till next sale comes. That's the way to live on more for the $1 at lower cost of living. Gasoline isn't cheap though. So it's just a matter of catching good deals at the right time anywhere from homes to grocery shopping, to whatever you do. That's the secret to anywhere of course. Shopping on base there is no sales tax (No CA. or Fed. tax). Now that's where I can really save on anything from food, to clothing, housewares, furniture, you name it. It's not just how much you make, but how you use it that helps to make work.
This is why I miss having a military ID, I use to shop at Moffet Field when I lived in Campbell Ca, until the Pentagon wanted their ID back.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM
blknblk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the friend your going with is a lady friend hit up 17 mile drive. Very relaxing scenic drive. May see a few dear on the golf course too. Have fun!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 AM
zzzcoupe

monterey is awesome taking my fiance there tomarow for her birthday we live in santa cruz and its just as nice,
those of you wondering ya its not cheap to live here but its not cheap to have a Z so relativly its worth it!