Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions matter, what to attack next on my mods??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 AM
fat3oy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions matter, what to attack next on my mods??

So whats the best exhaust for my car? ROFL, jk...

Current setup: 06' Rev Up, Borla TD, Enkei RPF1s (powder coated glossy black)
Bridgestone RE11s, Stillen HFCs, KW V2 Coilovers

Just spent an *** of money to get my suspension right so i can track the car in the near future. Just bought: Hotchkis sport sway bar set, SPC Front Caster/Camber adj. kit, Draco custom designed Endlinks, SPC Rear Camber Arm Kit, Quaife ATB Differential, Pretty much every bushing Whiteline makes, and every brace GT Spec makes.

Now i'm kinda in limbo as to where i am going next. I have been convinced to go with a Turbo setup as opposed to a SC, so that is on the horizon. See the issue i have is that the body is pretty much stock. Ya'll think i should focus a little more on the show, and save the go for a few months. Or look stock and make sure i have a horse power beast?

Avenue 1: Go ahead and get the turbo setup out of the way.

Avenue 2: Get the body and interior right. I'm looking at the INGS +1 front and sides, and the Chargespeed rear. As far as interior, i am looking to overhaul it completely, a tasteful combination of CF and suede (think the inside of a murcielago.)

Avenue 3 (likely): Get the turbo, and tinker with the exterior for a stop gap. I was thinking just get a seibon roof, and spoiler (IDK which yet.) I just bought some autoteknic CF mirrors, so a CF roof would look good with my black wheels and white body.

Avenue 4 (unlikely): Save a lil more money, and attempt a rebuild for higher HP threshold for my turbo setup.

And last. DIY mods i am attempting when i make it back to the states. Blacked out lights, with halo, and demon eye. V1 stealth install. Black out sidemarkers. Fabricate a heat shield for my pop. Buy a **** ton of stickers so everyone knows i am fast (jk.)

QUICK QUESTION ABOUT RICE! I've been thinking about a seibon hood, roof, pillars, and hatch as a stop gap. Does this give me a clean line? I am picturing the car looking two toned CF on top, pikes peak on bottom. OR Do you guys think this would be rice???? I really like the idea, but cant really picture it one way or another.

Last question. Where the hell can i buy a black/cf center piece for my 06' you know that little area just under the grill? Can i just paint that? Bodywork is not my forte, nor is patience so it'll prolly get jacked up if i attempt it myself.

Thanks fellas.

A picture for reference. No comment on flushness. Getting worked out! :P

Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're going to track the car, then avoid FI altogether.

Next mod - teach the driver how to track the car.

I hope you didn't spend all that time and money doing suspension mods without having tracked it and determined what needed to be "fixed" or improved.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 08-24-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Radiator, oil cooler and brakes along with many days on the track. If you feel the need for pretty parts, get a cage, harness and seats to spice it up.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:53 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

^ I agree with the both!! heavy trackers have spoken........

I saw your other post........stay safe, see you back in the states man...thank you..

-J
Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 AM
MIX350Z

I'd recommend spending the $$$ on an advanced driving course.
Hands down, the best bang for your buck
(who knows it may save your life one day too)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:35 AM
fat3oy

YOU BASTARDS STOP MAKING SENSE!!!

I did attend the Skip Barber HPDS in monterey. It was only two days, but i did the extra ACC also. I have not tracked my Z just yet, but like i said in my other post, i had to concede to experts on the suspension.

Now when i get back, my sponsor Barry Bodine, will be giving me one on one instruction. Obviously my track experience needs to come up.

The question remains. What to do with my money?

Another. Dont go FI?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Spend 2 years minimum tracking your car before you think of FI, for now get your drivetrain ready for FI, that will also help with the track.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by fat3oy
YOU BASTARDS STOP MAKING SENSE!!!
lol......everyone cant be wrong.........hit some tracks man and with a set up like yours you will "know" soon enough what you want, actually need moreso as you race more...

Another. Dont go FI?
I definately wouldnt till you hit some track time........Are you a "GREAT" mechanic and love turning wrenches.......or if anything happens will you be waiting as your sponsor/shop has your car and gives excuses as to why its no t ready today as promised...etc.....

its real......the maintenance and upkeep on a track FI Z is there........

i say rock some tracks and see whats up........

buying another Z motor and doing a baller NA build would prove more reliable and be a track beast......doing that will allow you to track the car NOW in its current power stock engine configuration and swap later IF you think thats something to consider...

The question remains. What to do with my money?
Do you have a trailer? enclosed trailer? tire mount on the trailer? Truck to tow you to events?? Canopy and chairs........generator with 50 foot chord to run fans to keep everyone cool.........propane grill to cook out track side during lunch break???

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-24-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Did you get the compression arm bushings i mentioned in your other thread?

https://my350z.com/forum/8578324-post9.html

-J
Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

I hope you didn't spend all that time and money doing suspension mods without having tracked it and determined what needed to be "fixed" or improved.
Originally Posted by terrasmak
Spend 2 years minimum tracking your car before you think of FI, for now get your drivetrain ready for FI, that will also help with the track.
I agree with both of these fellas above. An FI track car is likely to be problematic, especially with heat management. If you really plan on doing a lot of track days with it, that's an expensive and risky road to take.

I'd put some money towards your brakes, as those will soon be your limiter. I also suggest a dedicated set of track pads and wheels/tires.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 AM
fat3oy

Hell yah im a great mechanic, pshhhh. No not really. Maybe my eyes are a little bigger than my wallet. The idea of sticking to an NA build since this will be a track vehicle is intriguing, obviously it would be a lot cheaper.

J the SPL bushings are on the way. Awesome suggestion and good info on the last post, i missed that thread when doing my research.

Trailer is on the way, as well as a kick *** cooler for beer. IDK if that mixes well when on the track, but no DUI stops right?

-------------------

Also, i dont want anyone to question my seriousness about having my Z a solely a track vehicle. But i need to clarify that this will be an "eventual" track vehicle. My job isnt conducive to a lot of track time through the year, but I try to spend the money on my car where it will count. I dont want a bodybuilder with skinny legs, hence the heavy suspension upgrade. I do, however, want my car to look good, hence the questions on style.

PLEASE dont get me wrong, the advice here is invaluable, and you have already made me start reading on NA builds. Youve turned me around!

Track time it is I reckon. BUT, can i at least hook up my beer cooler? CF lid, mini RPF1s, billet handle????
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ I say buy a junk yard motor........work on it over the course of a couple of years.....

drop it in after those "years" of track time and win sa-more....

Thats my goal.........with the limited track time and garage time along with race prep, trailer, canopy, buying 10 tires for a single drift event, etc............my focus is going toward buying a spare 350z motor out of a junk yard wreck......doing the na build and one day dropping it in for hopefully 300 to the wheels......would be a breath of fresh air im sure an give the Z a new heart for me to learn how to drive the dammn thing all over again..........reliability in mind.........

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 08-24-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ I say buy a junk yard motor........work on it over the course of a couple of years.....

drop it in after those "years" of track time and win sa-more....

my focus is going toward buying a spare 350z motor out of a junk yard wreck......doing the na build and one day dropping it in for hopefully 300 to the wheels......

-J
I did almost the same thing, but my motor was from an oil burner, so less than 60k miles (and likely a lot less) and about $1k cheaper than one from a junk yard. It burns just about 1 quart per 1000 miles, though I typically change it every 500 or so anyway, currently making 271rwhp, so I can't complain. There is talk about building it up a bit to push towards 300rwhp, but I'm in no rush.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

+1, track car... 4.08 gears, oil cooler, bigger radiator and a tune. race seats. go go go!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:39 PM
hpka365

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's mainly gonna be for the track then do what everyone has already suggested.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Radiator, oil cooler and brakes along with many days on the track. If you feel the need for pretty parts, get a cage, harness and seats to spice it up.
all of the above will be necessary and useful since you're building a track car. get them before FI
Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM
uglyduc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brakes, lines and a seat to hold you better. the seat went a long way for me in terms of driver fatigue at the track.

oil cooler and a hans/neck brace is nice to have too.

dont forget painters tape, always a win.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

For the track, nothing on your list really jumps out at me.

I'd make sure the car is in good working order and hit the track for some seat time.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of the stuff on your main list would be a joke on a track car. Suede interior, really?

I don't agree that FI is a major problem on a track car, IF you have spent the money in the correct places first, do a quality setup / tune, and maintain the vehicle. People seem to make going FI a lot scarier than it really is. Granted I was scared at first, the deeper I get into it it's nothing other than money, knowledge, and doing things correctly. Stupid mistakes and guessing is what ****s you.

The other thing I've learned is that high horsepower numbers don't really mean **** on the track if you don't have the experience and ability to use it. How many 450+ whp guys on this forum do any type of autox, hpde, nasa? Um...maybe 3 with Nexx included. So I guess what I'm saying is don't build something you can't drive.

If you don't already, having another car besides the Z is the best investment you can make.