Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Winter driving and the Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving and the Z

Anybody ever drive these things in bad weather? Got the wife a Z 2 months ago and we don't even drive it in the rain. We also have a Landcruiser so it goes in the bad weather. I just figure that with these high performance summer tires, if the streets are not clear and dry it is not a good idea to take the Z out of the garage. what do the rest of you do? I know these things have VDC and Traction control but they also have performance tires.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:47 AM
03Brickyard

I live in the DC area, we just got like 6inches of snow last week, and it took me 2 day to get to drive my car. The tires are bad for the winter.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slap some steelies with winter tires on and you're good to go. No problems up in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails Winter driving and the Z-after_2.jpg  
Old 12-10-2003, 04:09 PM
zunzet

I feel bad for the guy I saw here on Long Island last Friday who got slammed in his Z on the Southern State Parkway.

I was smart enough to leave the Z in the driveway. Have not driven it since the storm.

The Bridgestone tires are NOT for snow!

If I did drive it, I would be washing it every 5 minutes to get the salt and road grime off. Can't stand dirt on the car.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
buzzdsm

The Z sucks in the snow but if you have a lot of experience driving in the snow you'll be fine. We got rain and then snow last night so this morning it was very slick. I just drove really slow and everything was fine. It did take me about a minute to leave the stop light but the traction control did it's job.

I think half the problem is that a lot of people get all tense and freak out. I just go slow and look at it as a challenge.

One thing that I've noticed is that when SUV's see you they like to fly by and show off. A couple of times I've seen them nearly wreck. It would make my year to know that I caused some idiot to wreck his overpriced SUV by showing off. This year (3 storms) I've seen 4 SUV's. 1 minivan, and 1 car in the ditch. Everytime I see an SUV in the ditch I honk.

If you live in SW MO I wouldn't worry about it. Don't you guys have it pretty easy? Maybe freezing rain once in a while which probably happens twice a year.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 PM
FanTaZ

I felt like a U-Boat commander a few weeks back while traveling
through the mountains in eastern Tennessee. The downpour we
were in was the worst I've ever been in and it lasted well into
North Carolina. It was pretty scary but the Z was safe and
secure. And no leaks like some have reported.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:56 AM
z-extreme

I put the Z up for the winter. Planning on keeping it around for a while, So into storage it goes. Blizzak's would be the only way to go if you were thinking about the winter driving.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:03 AM
SweatyPalm

Originally posted by buzzdsm
The Z sucks in the snow but if you have a lot of experience driving in the snow you'll be fine.
Correction. Your Z TIRES suck in the snow.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:11 AM
DumbGenius

You need good winter tires. Once installed, it drives like a dream.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:14 AM
marhot

Having to drive in bad weather is only half of your problem. I agree with zunzet
Originally posted by zunzet
...I would be washing it every 5 minutes to get the salt and road grime off. Can't stand dirt on the car.
The other problem is all the mess that is going to get on your Z (and under the Z).

Also, like buzzdsm said, You have to watch out for the idiots in SUVs … Many of them think just because they have good traction they can stop that well too. I’ve seen several bad accidents involving SUVs, and I don’t want one hitting my Z. As said before the Z is a moron magnet. I’ve seen too many posts of morons hitting Zs.

Good luck to you guys (and gals) who are brave enough to drive your Z in the snow. I’m not!

Last edited by marhot; 12-11-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
DrCold

I'm lovin the Z in the snow. I've never had a vehicle with traction control or VDC. Its pretty cool when they kick in, but you can always hit the fun button and go sliding around if you want. I think when people complain about the Z in the snow, they are actually complaining about the tires. I put Blizzaks on and i couldnt be any happier (well, maybe if there wasnt any snow at all). The only thing that bugs me is the dirt and grime all over the car. But hey, thats what i get for living in the Inland Northwest. My favorite part is the looks i get. People dont expect to see a 350z in the snow up here. I love it. If you've had experiance driving in the snow, the Z should be pretty easy (and fun if you want too ).
Old 12-11-2003, 01:37 PM
peptidbond

I have blizzaks and will travel!