2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z vs Nismo 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes… If your intention is buying a Z, and then adding modifications and custom features, buy a model less than the Track or Nismo models. That way you can add the mods you want. --Spike
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
hopefails

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off.... Wow.... Thank you guys for being so helpful. I'm A member on a lot of forms, but none have really been so straight forward and helpful. I honestly Expected to get a bunch of replies saying I should know better. It is refreshing to have.

I am honestly looking for a car to be my daily driver, but also go to a nearby track for track days quite often. I'm looking for something that's spirited to drive, and I'm always loved the styling of the 350 Z's.

The nismo version grabbed my attention because it is ready for both, and I love the styling of it. But I always wondered if the price was padded because of the limited-edition, or if it was actually worth the upgrades. From everyone's reply, I believe the nismo would be a good choice.

Thank you for your help

Sean
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy Buying! You'll love it...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is slightly apples vs oranges. Tailored to different audiences.

I myself own a Touring. I chose it because I prefer the luxuries. The benefits of the NISMO 07+ to me is mostly on the body kit. I roll w/ Grand Touring wheels on mine so it's essentially the same thing with a slightly different appearance.

Now, if you prefer a sportier Z minus the luxuries of leather / heated seats / bose (if you don't feel like modding audio), then NISMO is for you.

In a best case situation personally, I'd want my Z to have the appearance of a NISMO, but with what touring comes with.

You do have a choice of Grand Touring as well, but it's basically a mix of the two minus the body kit.

So all in all, it's if you like the body kit or not, or if you want leather seats / better stock speakers.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM
GOGOZ

For me, i went with the enthusiast (roadster). I like adding my own mods as i go so i wouldn't really ever consider a nismo. I never really wanted the roadster either, but this past summer up here in detroit was one of the best for the street scene for sure! And with the top down, it's nice to hear the sweet vq note as i rowed thru the gears......

If you like the body kit and aero deflectors, go for it. If you're gonna jump in it and drive, go for the nismo. It is a great investment because of the scarcity. Its got the power and handling already added to it- and it will always turn heads wherever you go!!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do people think the nismo has more power than the stock 350 (even though it should)?

Oh yeah, nismo all the way.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^i guess these people are putting the older 350z into the mix which is not wat i thought OP meant. but i guess some people didnt get it.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
ttknf

I went through this same dilemma; ended up settling on the Nismo. I'll explain why:

I am very interested in modifying, but I wanted a package that didn't require a ton of work out of the box to be a capable performer at autocross or track days. I do daily drive the car, but I am okay with the compromises of the Nismo (road noise, suspension feel etc).

Regarding modifications, I will continue to mod my Nismo, but as the car is so good out of the box, the only improvements I feel I will really need are slight (brake lines, maybe some modest power mods, and eventually coilovers).

If you want a project start-to-finish, then a non-Nismo is the best choice. If you want comfort, then a non-Nismo is the best choice. If you want a car that's extremely competent at the track out of the box, then the Nismo is it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

doesn't matter.. if you get an 07-09 it will have the same performance
minus the ugly rear bumper 2 thumbs down for the nismo rear end!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM
zswickliffe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Why do people think the nismo has more power than the stock 350 (even though it should)?

Oh yeah, nismo all the way.
I thought the Nismo had a few modifications (cams, exhaust, intakes, etc.) that gave it a bit more power (not much)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zswickliffe
I thought the Nismo had a few modifications (cams, exhaust, intakes, etc.) that gave it a bit more power (not much)
Nope.

You might be thinking of the 370 nismo not the 350, as all models had 306 hp for the 2007-2008 years.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM
zswickliffe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must've been what I was thinking of. Too many different models to keep track of o_O haha
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ nismo produced those parts u can buy during the 03 z period but there was never a full on nismo z sold in the US with all those parts installed.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 PM
simmi
Banned

Talking

Well both cars are good but in my mood by look vice Nismo 350z is better to me.
and I'll prefer it
Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Nismo 350 is pretty solid choice, and I honestly hardly ever see them. Nismo 370s are much more common (at least where I live). I snatched an 03 track edition, sort of the "pre-nismo" nismo model I guess I could say. I dig the fact that it's the first year track model, too. To the naked eye it's hard to tell, but I like to think it's somewhat "rare" or maybe will be someday.

I'd say in choosing it's all up to how it looks to you. Performance wise I'd say it'll be very difficult to tell a big difference to the average driver/weekend track warrior. A lowered 350 nismo with a set of 19in Volk/Work/SSRs is freakin sexy. Just budget it right and make sure you're happy in the end! That's what matters.

Best of luck
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

I posted this on another thread to give you the idea of the differences:

The aero pieces were sculpted in a wind tunnel. Although the stiffening hones the Z’s responses to an even sharper edge, the aero elements were the prime focus of the NISMO engineering effort. The front fascia, with a deeper chin spoiler shaped to vector underbody airflow, was developed to provide high-speed downforce, as opposed to the slight lift in other Zs. Similarly, the large rear wing and the underbody diffusers help keep the stern firmly planted. According to Nissan, the base 350Z produces almost 18 pounds of rear lift at 75 mph, whereas the NISMO’s aero tweaks generate more than 33 pounds of downforce.

Seam welded chassis by hand by Autech.

Autech front and rear chassis dampers.

Front-shock-tower bracing and radiator supports.

Extra body-shell welds at the A- and B-pillars.

A heftier brace spanning the rear shock towers.

Stiffer rear anti-roll bar.

Upgraded shocks with higher rate springs.

Viscous Limited Slip Differential.

Traction Control.

Brembo Calipers.

Rays wheels.

Functional Aero with spoiler.

Nismo Exhaust tips, to me a slightly different tone.

Nice RPM tach that reads Nismo.

Nismo Floors Mats.

Accented interior with red stitching and perforated leather steering wheel.

Two tone red and black seats.

Silver VIN badge on interior displaying number (0001 - 1500(?))

Not only will value hold better, but people really do compliment me on the different look.

Difference between the NIsmo and the older DE are also the upgraded front and rear lights which look much more "high end."

I think it is much better and worth the price.

(I had an '05 Touring before the Nismo)

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 01-21-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
bena1916

My 2 cents as a Nismo owner. If it were me, assuming it's a daily driver, I would probably get a 2007-2008 Grand Touring w/the optional navigation and the side/curtain airbags. The Grand Touring comes with the same brakes and wheels as the Nismo but in a much more liveable ride--bluetooth and heated leather seats, c'mon who doesn't want those in a DD? Don't get me wrong I love my Nismo but using it as a DD gets a bit tiresome--and I get to drive on the autobahn at insane speeds but eventually I just wanted to have some of those creature comforts along with a bit softer suspension so I picked up another DD and tucked the Nismo away in the garage for sunny track days.

BTW, what ever 350z you get, if you use it for a DD in the winter make sure you get some appropriate tires (dedicated winter set up or at a minimum something like Conti DWS)--those high performance summer tires are like rocks in the winter.

Last edited by bena1916; 01-21-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's apples vs oranges. There is NO power advantage to a Nismo 350Z (I'm talking about US-market cars, not what was available in some other markets) -- it has the exact same motor and drivetrain as every other 350Z of that year model. The Nismo DOES come with some rather nice suspension parts. The problem is, they are almost all non-adjustable. I personally would say don't waste the extra $$$ just so you can claim you drive a Nismo (which means absolutely nothing to anyone but Z enthusiasts anyway). Get the car that suits your needs the closest, then upgrade the suspension with aftermarket adjustable sway bars and some good shocks and springs. You can do that for considerably less than the price difference for a Nismo and you'll end up with a car that is much better-handling and more adaptable. The Nismo bodykit stuff looks good, but there again you can replicate it even better on a regular 350 for much less money.

The only valid reasons I can see for paying ANY extra for a Nismo would be if A) You plan on keeping it for at least another 20 years and don't want to make ANY modifications ever (ie. you're buying it purely as a collectible long-term investment, in which case there are better investments that will cost you much less out of pocket), or B) You stumble up on a deal too good to pass up. Now if everything else is equal (price, features, mileage, etc) then hell yeah go with the Nismo!!! But I don't see any purpose in paying more for a car that you plan on modifying anyway and is no faster than any other 350Z out there. Now in the 370 world, things are a bit different -- but that's a different thing entirely and not the topic of the thread. Bottom line: you won't go wrong with either variety. Nismo's are nice, and come from the factory with many features that folks will pay extra for. But the "factory" embellishments are not equal to what is available at a much lower cost from the aftermarket. If you want to just buy a Z, put gas in it and drive then a Nismo would be a good option for you. But if you plan on doing anything as far as mods or customizing, then it would be foolish to get a Nismo and pay more for it when a stock 350 will have the same drivetrain and you can mod it to your hearts contenet without messing up the value of your investment.
Just my $.02 worth!!!