Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident last night, is the Z a total lost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 AM
GHOST1207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident last night, is the Z a total lost?

Been a long time since I've posted on here but lurk daily, wish it was better circumstances for making a thread, but I'll keep this short and straight to the point.

At around 12am Thursday morning I was driving home from work on I-15 southbound doing 65 in the farthest right lane, no traffic for quite a distance in front and behind me. All of a sudden I see headlights pop up on my rear view coming in fast, I turned the wheel to the right trying to avoid the incoming car but it was too late. Next thing I know I got rear ended pretty hard on the driver side rear which sent me sideways and judging from the pics the car must have hit me again on the passenger side door and sent us both spinning into the dirt about 100-200 ft off the freeway. Called 911 after I found my phone, and went over to the other car yelling if they were okay but no response. Tried again moments later and knocked on the windshield and startled the female driver. She rolled down her window and asked me what happened, said she blacked out, and was in pain from her airbag and seat belt. CHP and ambulance showed up moments later, while the paramedics helped her out and took her off away the officers was asking what happened and taking down my statement. Called in a tow truck and had our cars towed out.

I made out okay, just a sore elbow at first and felt fine, but now my neck, shoulder, lower chest area, and back are sore so going to get checked up later today. Scariest accident I've been in personally, Z stalled while in gear spinning into the dirt so had no steering or brakes.

Pretty much the gist of it all, my question is does the Z look totaled to you guys? Adjuster is coming to look at it later on today but just wanted to get opinions before they try to take it to a shop or tell me it's fixable. 2008 Touring with about 57k miles on her, and I am insured with Allstate if that matters. Already started the claim process and awaiting the information from CHP about the other driver. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 AM
superstuddc27

I def think that it's totaled...
Old 09-20-2013, 01:44 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

You'd want it totalled...

take those parts off asap

Glad you're alive man...
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have her phone records checked. Most likely she was texting or talking, which is just like being blacked out for most people most of the time.

Can't tell if the airbags deployed. Definite total if they did. Hope they total it otherwise. You don't want it back as a driver after all that damage. It might make a fun track car, though, unless the alignment and suspension is all messed up under the car.

Looks like the first hit turned you to the right, and then she bulldozed you in the passenger door. That door beam is pretty stout.

Hope you heal quickly!!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:19 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
Have her phone records checked. Most likely she was texting or talking, which is just like being blacked out for most people most of the time.

Can't tell if the airbags deployed. Definite total if they did. Hope they total it otherwise. You don't want it back as a driver after all that damage. It might make a fun track car, though, unless the alignment and suspension is all messed up under the car.

Looks like the first hit turned you to the right, and then she bulldozed you in the passenger door. That door beam is pretty stout.

Hope you heal quickly!!
Shouldn't matter he got hit from behind by a car travelling at a high rate of speed. She is at 100% fault either way.

I think this car is totalled. As others have said, if it is not totalled, you want it totalled, it will never be the same.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:23 AM
SQuaLZ

By the way, she is full of crap she was on the phone or doing something when she hit you. Damn that sucks for somebody else to do this to you when you take such good care of your car. I actually don't know if you do but I am assuming so since most of us on here do.

Good luck and feel better.

Make sure you get an amount of money you feel you deserve, do not settle if they low-ball you.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:40 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

with all the damage to the left rear quarter they will total it. i got rear ended and it barely put a wave in my right rear quarter and it ended up being almost 4k to fix

Last edited by travlee; 09-20-2013 at 02:55 AM.
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually when I see these threads I wonder why the poster doesn't just wait for the adjuster to make the decision. However, in the case - Totaled & don't let them tell you otherwise. you DON'T want it back.
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that looks pretty messed up man. And it looked so nice
Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

She was at fault. Just thank god you're okay...

I would say it's totaled.. only thing is it has low miles which could make it more difficult to total it out.

Allstate is a *****. My mom totaled her Lexus and they would not total it out, it was really worth 24k they put a higher value (27k) on it and wanted it to be fixed with junkyard parts. I had to sell the totaled car to a salvage company for 4k to break even.

don't take no for an answer the car will never be the same.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 09-20-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 AM
xman2yman

I think it looks bad but if no frame damage and no air bags then a really good shop will get it back on the road. The car is an 07 and up so its still worth 16k meaning it needs 12k if damage for them to think about totaling it. But if it is totaled please feel free to get those head lights out and I can send 03 for them lol. sorry for what happened, I remember when I was involved in a bad accident with mine, i was not happy.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Hopefully you have extra "Aftermarket Parts" insurance. I pay $82/month with $4k of aftermarket parts coverage. Basically to cover exhaust, and wheels if I had an accident.

I would think it's totaled. Get on KBB and nada to make sure the value of your car is accurately assessed.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:04 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man! Good to hear you are ok from that hit!

I wouldn't be surprised if that girl was DUI'ing or distracted/texting on the phone.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Callmetony

Don't you still have steering and brakes after the engine stalls? I can imagine during this type of accident it all happens to fast to even know what is going on. Glad you're safe. Don't let this cost you any time or money just take the insurance and get yourself an upgrade.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn that definitely sucks! As other said, try to get your aftermarket parts.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Kris T.b

it's not totalled but its going to be like 15k if not more to get it fixed, ide take of the part right meow
Old 09-20-2013, 05:52 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Callmetony
Don't you still have steering and brakes after the engine stalls? I can imagine during this type of accident it all happens to fast to even know what is going on. Glad you're safe. Don't let this cost you any time or money just take the insurance and get yourself an upgrade.
Of course you still have steering and brakes if the engine stalls. The power assist is gone but you can still steer and brake. It's just a little harder than normal.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Shouldn't matter he got hit from behind by a car travelling at a high rate of speed. She is at 100% fault either way.

I think this car is totalled. As others have said, if it is not totalled, you want it totalled, it will never be the same.
+1

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Usually when I see these threads I wonder why the poster doesn't just wait for the adjuster to make the decision. However, in the case - Totaled & don't let them tell you otherwise. you DON'T want it back.
Exactly.. I'd start going to the doctor to get back and neck checked out too.. make them worry

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
She was at fault. Just thank god you're okay...

I would say it's totaled.. only thing is it has low miles which could make it more difficult to total it out.

Allstate is a *****. My mom totaled her Lexus and they would not total it out, it was really worth 24k they put a higher value (27k) on it and wanted it to be fixed with junkyard parts. I had to sell the totaled car to a salvage company for 4k to break even.

don't take no for an answer the car will never be the same.
you NEVER have to take junkyard parts.. always get new OEM with receipts. I had an insurance adjuster try to pull that crap in college... what they didn't know was my aunt owned the insurance company agency and told her.. needless to say it was repaired with oem no more questions.

Originally Posted by Kris T.b
it's not totalled but its going to be like 15k if not more to get it fixed, ide take of the part right meow
if 15k or more it will be totalled.. 50% value in damage or more equalls totalled
Old 09-20-2013, 05:57 AM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by Callmetony
Yes but you lose the power steering and power brakes. It is much harder to steer and brake like that when compared to the car being on.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Zswagg

Damn dude! Thats a bummer. Sorry to hear what happen to your Z. Good to hear you came out of after that. Feel better man!

Quick Reply: Accident last night, is the Z a total lost?