Sponsored by:

tips buying a 350z for drifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:56 PM
joseRoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips buying a 350z for drifting

Hello everybody,

I am from Australia, I am looking to buy a 350z as a daily and drifting on the weekends.
Do you have any tips?
manual transmission type? cd009/cd00A?
with how many kms would you buy the car?

prev link from the forum will help as well, tried to search but could find something useful.

thanks.

Last edited by joseRoz; 05-19-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome Jose and while I don't have much details on Zeds from Oz, I'd suggest starting to look for a base model with a standard six-speed. The Z in any market will be a good, durable car if it's been looked after. Rather than kms, see if the owner has complete service records and has changed ALL the fluids on a regular basis with good quality products. If the owner knows the car well, that's a better indicator than a used car dealership that simply took it in on a trade and has no background. Spend some money to have a complete and independent mechanical assessment done before you buy.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:45 PM
joseRoz

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome Jose and while I don't have much details on Zeds from Oz, I'd suggest starting to look for a base model with a standard six-speed. The Z in any market will be a good, durable car if it's been looked after. Rather than kms, see if the owner has complete service records and has changed ALL the fluids on a regular basis with good quality products. If the owner knows the car well, that's a better indicator than a used car dealership that simply took it in on a trade and has no background. Spend some money to have a complete and independent mechanical assessment done before you buy.
thanks for the replay,

are you saying to check if the owner changed fluids between services?

"If the owner knows the car well", can you give me an example what to ask about that....not sure.

about assessments, the problem is thats its too much visual, many times they cant find any problems.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 PM
achampagne

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You could bring a maintenance schedule for the car to the seller and depending on the kms ask him whats been replaced and see what needs replacing. Here's a link to understanding a maintenance schedule. See if he has all maintenance records with him. Bring a mechanic you trust that knows Nissan and ask him if he can do an inspection of it. Once you have actually bought the car, then you need a spare set of weekend wheels for drifting. Find some rims that you don't mind beating up along with some old tires. You can find them at used tire stores (hopefully they have those in Australia). When looking for mods you need to set how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice for drifting. gutting the interior reduces weight, but increases sound drastically. Trade offs like that. Its really all about research.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:37 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by joseRoz
thanks for the replay,

are you saying to check if the owner changed fluids between services?

"If the owner knows the car well", can you give me an example what to ask about that....not sure.

about assessments, the problem is thats its too much visual, many times they cant find any problems.
There should be a Nissan maintenance book with the car that lists all scheduled maintenance. Otherwise, if that's not available, the owner may have another form of documentation or even electronic checklist. Ask the owner about how often s/he's worked on the car and what was changed/replaced. Ask enough questions to uncover whether they know what kind of oil and lubricants were being used. You'll need to SEARCH and educate yourself on the Z to know what the answers are.

A good technician will do far more than just a visual check. Using a sophisticated code reader to scan the ECM, BCM and ABS systems for any problems and then inspecting those issues up close are an example. You'll need to pay a legit tech for this work, as it takes a couple of hours to get it done.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:36 PM
joseRoz

Originally Posted by dkmura
There should be a Nissan maintenance book with the car that lists all scheduled maintenance. Otherwise, if that's not available, the owner may have another form of documentation or even electronic checklist. Ask the owner about how often s/he's worked on the car and what was changed/replaced. Ask enough questions to uncover whether they know what kind of oil and lubricants were being used. You'll need to SEARCH and educate yourself on the Z to know what the answers are.

A good technician will do far more than just a visual check. Using a sophisticated code reader to scan the ECM, BCM and ABS systems for any problems and then inspecting those issues up close are an example. You'll need to pay a legit tech for this work, as it takes a couple of hours to get it done.
thank you!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:35 AM
StraitZangsta

Originally Posted by joseRoz
Hello everybody,

I am from Australia, I am looking to buy a 350z as a daily and drifting on the weekends.
Do you have any tips?
manual transmission type? cd009/cd00A?
with how many kms would you buy the car?

prev link from the forum will help as well, tried to search but could find something useful.

thanks.
hey! I do exactly that, I daily my 350z but drift it sometimes as well...get the cd009 tranny as it has triple cone syncros which will help you because in drifting you shift a lot. Also, I upgraded my clutch and flywheel to a jwt lightweight flywheel and a clutchmasters fx400 stage 4 clutch kit. This help a lot when you need to clutch kick on corners, but will last for a long long time. Also after you get the hang of it possibly get an angle kit for more angle, and get coil overs with the rear lower than the front with ~5* of camber in the front and like none in the rear. I also widebodied my car in case you hit a wall it’s easy to replace fenders then, and look into a cage so that you are protected if something unexpected happens
Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 PM
joseRoz

Originally Posted by StraitZangsta

hey! I do exactly that, I daily my 350z but drift it sometimes as well...get the cd009 tranny as it has triple cone syncros which will help you because in drifting you shift a lot. Also, I upgraded my clutch and flywheel to a jwt lightweight flywheel and a clutchmasters fx400 stage 4 clutch kit. This help a lot when you need to clutch kick on corners, but will last for a long long time. Also after you get the hang of it possibly get an angle kit for more angle, and get coil overs with the rear lower than the front with ~5* of camber in the front and like none in the rear. I also widebodied my car in case you hit a wall it’s easy to replace fenders then, and look into a cage so that you are protected if something unexpected happens
thanks for the response,
is there a quick way to identify the cd009??
I know that it should be labeled on the transmission metal but i cannot get there....