Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Plasti Dip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 AM
PiscesTv

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plasti Dip?

Has anyone Plasti dipped their 350z? I’ve been searching the forum trying to find pictures and read about other Z owners experience about dipping it. The 350z I’m getting what I thought was a bad Dip job was wrong. The kid who owned it before instead of paying his car note was using his money to mod the Z and I guess as a last ditch effort to avoid the repo guys he removed the OEM paint and was trying to make the car black but it got picked up before the job was finished. So I’m thinking Plasti Dip will be my best bet I’m not sure Vinyl will stick to it in it’s current state and I don’t want to paint it just yet.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 AM
epenbecks

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You talking about plastidip the whole car? have you ever use plastidip before?
I used plastidip for rims but nothing else. I think wrap much better than plastidip
Old 02-12-2020, 09:59 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Peel The Plasti Dip Off .
Old 02-12-2020, 10:21 AM
PiscesTv

Originally Posted by epenbecks
You talking about plastidip the whole car? have you ever use plastidip before?
I used plastidip for rims but nothing else. I think wrap much better than plastidip
yes Plastidip the whole car I was planning on ordering a kit from DipYourCar.com I don’t think wrap will stick to the primer on the car and I don’t want to pay for wrap that won’t last more than a few weeks at best. Never Plasti dip before but not to worried I’ve watched a ton of videos and if I mess up at least it isn’t permanent lol just peel off and start over

Last edited by PiscesTv; 02-12-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:23 AM
PiscesTv

Originally Posted by jdmfetish
Peel The Plasti Dip Off .
there’s no Plasti dip to peel off. The OEM paint was taken off with sand paper then primed and the kid started to paint it black the only OEM paint still on the car are 2 side fenders.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Sleepiedaze

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

do research on https://us.raail.com/

its a spray able vinyl which is easier on the paint and more geared towards automobiles exterior paint. its not as shiny and show quality as a paint job but another alternative to vinyl hand wrapping and pasti dip.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:34 PM
PiscesTv

Originally Posted by Sleepiedaze

its a spray able vinyl which is easier on the paint and more geared towards automobiles exterior paint. its not as shiny and show quality as a paint job but another alternative to vinyl hand wrapping and pasti dip.
that is perfect it’s the best of both worlds thank you. Can’t believe I haven’t heard of this

Last edited by PiscesTv; 02-12-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:44 PM
epenbecks

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PiscesTv
yes Plastidip the whole car I was planning on ordering a kit from DipYourCar.com I don’t think wrap will stick to the primer on the car and I don’t want to pay for wrap that won’t last more than a few weeks at best. Never Plasti dip before but not to worried I’ve watched a ton of videos and if I mess up at least it isn’t permanent lol just peel off and start over
Originally Posted by Sleepiedaze

You should try to plastidip one body panel and see how it goes. I'm not sure how it last when you wash your car with high pressure washer or what about if it gets oil on it.
But that raail looks good. Makes me want to try it out
Old 02-12-2020, 02:48 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,128 Likes on 6,581 Posts

Yall might get raaild on the price......

Bwaahahahahaha
Old 02-12-2020, 04:01 PM
PiscesTv

Originally Posted by epenbecks
You should try to plastidip one body panel and see how it goes. I'm not sure how it last when you wash your car with high pressure washer or what about if it gets oil on it.
But that raail looks good. Makes me want to try it out
I probably won’t be using any high pressure water. Supposedly gas eats through it but you can put like a towel or something against the car when you fuel and it’ll protect the dip from any possible gas getting on the car. The vinyl spray is good but I don’t see any reasonably priced kits for the whole car just the wheels. I even checked Ebay just in case
Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 AM
Mully

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've only plasti dipped grilles before and while it was easy to lay down, it's a pain to remove when the time comes unless you love finger blisters. If you get any rock chips, you'll have to remove the whole panel and respray it. Good luck with taping off the panels which you don't want to spray as removing the tape will likely also remove the dip. I'm not sure about other colors, but the black fades after just a few weeks. It is also very difficult to clean as bugs and other crap sticks to it far more than paint.

I had my desert truck painted at Maaco for $700. They did a great job with no orange peel. I was debating on wrapping my Z, but when the time comes I'll likely go the Maaco route. Hard to beat for the price as the Z should be less than $500 (they charge extra for truck, plus I had my door jams done).
Old 02-13-2020, 08:08 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

I would never plasti-dip something you care about
Old 02-13-2020, 08:21 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There was a series on YouTube, think they called it hi low and they compared doing expensive mods vs cheap ones. The vehicles they happened to be using were Z's

They did vinyl vs plastidip and I do believe the guy dipping the car, at one point, admitted to breaking down and crying out of frustration.

If it were me, I'd rather fix-up and prep the primer correctly and go for a vinyl wrap for the whole vehicle.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Sleepiedaze

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PiscesTv
I probably won’t be using any high pressure water. Supposedly gas eats through it but you can put like a towel or something against the car when you fuel and it’ll protect the dip from any possible gas getting on the car. The vinyl spray is good but I don’t see any reasonably priced kits for the whole car just the wheels. I even checked Ebay just in case
yes after its all said and done if you take it to a shop your looking at about 700-1000 dollars. compared to the 500 dollar macco paint job. both will last about 5 years give or take. if you do it yourself buy a harbor freight painters gun, small compressor and some type of mask your looking at 400 bucks.

then again the colors they have now with the gloss is hard to pass up. both options are inexpensive in my opinion. especially if your tracking the car. since paint damage is bound to happen.

here are some colors you can look at. planning on doing my car again later this month

https://drpigment.com/
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM
PiscesTv

Originally Posted by Mully
I've only plasti dipped grilles before and while it was easy to lay down, it's a pain to remove when the time comes unless you love finger blisters. If you get any rock chips, you'll have to remove the whole panel and respray it. Good luck with taping off the panels which you don't want to spray as removing the tape will likely also remove the dip. I'm not sure about other colors, but the black fades after just a few weeks. It is also very difficult to clean as bugs and other crap sticks to it far more than paint.

I had my desert truck painted at Maaco for $700. They did a great job with no orange peel. I was debating on wrapping my Z, but when the time comes I'll likely go the Maaco route. Hard to beat for the price as the Z should be less than $500 (they charge extra for truck, plus I had my door jams done).
yeah I don’t want anything permanent right now I’d rather do something that I can change like with wraps and dips every couple months I can take off and do a whole new color scheme. On the DYC site I can buy a full kit for 500-700 and then the next time around I won’t need a kit and just spend 200-300 on new dip.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:34 PM
PiscesTv

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
I would never plasti-dip something you care about
I don’t see anything wrong with dip if you do it the right way and don’t cheap out on the product. Plus if it does a little damage who really cares it’s going on top of primer and black spray paint 😂
Old 02-13-2020, 03:11 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

You actually can apply vinyl wrap on primer body kits, you don’t need paint.

Just needs to be smooth and clean of dirt/oil/residue, if it’s not, then the imperfections will show on the finished product. Scratches are fine.

I had a friend who wrapped his whole Chargerspeed body kit with vinyl wrap. I wouldn’t have known any difference.
The following users liked this post:
PiscesTv (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 02:55 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Please God, post plenty of pix of it in here once it's finished.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:12 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

FWIW I sprayed an entire car with a Wagner airless system in my dad's garage when I was kid. Whole project with 2 step PPG color then clear cost less than $125. Just sayin.
The following users liked this post:
PiscesTv (02-17-2020)