Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

No Acceleration/ maybe limp mode??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 09:11 AM
03JamesDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Acceleration/ maybe limp mode??

Hey guys I have a 2003 nissan 350z track 6MT with 125k miles. I have the tomei catback exhaust on it other than that everything is stock. I cant remember when this problem exactly started but from time to time my Z would have like no acceleration when I would press the accelerator pedal all the way down. Like I would be at 6th gear cruising at like 2100rpm and then I would floor it to speed up and the car would rise rpm's so slow and would be like lurching the car like something was blocking the airway or something. Another example is if im about to race somebody and I downshift from 4th to 3rd when we are about to do a roll. I would be at 3rd gear 4000rpm and when it was time to race i got nothing. The needle was moving so slow and I got gapped (RIP). So i shift it from 3rd to 4th and floor it and all the sudden its 100% fine back to normal. I know this all sounds really confusing but this is the best I can explain it. My start up is fine, idle is fine, ive never had any problem like that. I read somewhere maybe a vacuum leak or something with the throttle body. Everything is stock in the engine bay with 125k so maybe i just need to do some cleaning or replacing of some hoses? It doesn't happen all the time and it seems to happen more if I haven't driven my car in a while and take it out. Please let me know if yall have had something like this happen and if you need more info to understand. Im all new so bare with me! Give me any feedback!
Old 04-23-2020, 01:54 PM
icer5160

Received 442 Likes on 337 Posts

Scan for codes 1st. Could be a lot of things (throttle body/position, cam sensors, crank sensor, MAF, O2, fuel pump, etc).
-Icer
Old 04-23-2020, 04:20 PM
03JamesDE

The only engine code I have is the one for the knock sensor but it was doing it before I got that engine code. I just see this issue everywhere and there seems to be no definite answer or solution to a fix.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:21 PM
03JamesDE

Originally Posted by icer5160
Scan for codes 1st. Could be a lot of things (throttle body/position, cam sensors, crank sensor, MAF, O2, fuel pump, etc).
-Icer
The only engine code I have is the one for the knock sensor but it was doing it before I got that engine code. I just see this issue everywhere and there seems to be no definite answer or solution to a fix.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:04 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy,

I'm having the same issue as well, not meaning to high jack your thread at all.

When you slam the pedal all the way down, it goes but not as fast as you want it to, it slowly rises as you said. When you do that, does it sometimes jerk back and forth then suddenly just guns it and you have the power back?

I thought it was my cold air intake because it was a little loose but I screwed it back in and it's still doing it, only at night for some odd reason. I guess I'll be replacing it just as a step somewhere. I have an 06 and my code is 0850, for a neutral safety switch.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:26 PM
03JamesDE

Thanks for the reply,
it only does the jerking thing when I floor it from 2000rpm in 6th to around 3000rpm. If I let off full throttle then go back on it sometimes kicks back to full power. It doesn’t happen often tbh most of the time my car is running just fine. It seems to be extra “laggy” or slow if I start it up and start to give it full throttle in low rpms. My best guess is something with the throttle body.
For when you did the donuts I feel it went back to normal because you were redlining and giving lots of gas and revs. When my car goes into the “limp” or “bog” I’ll throw it in neutral and rev it to like 4-5000rpms (seems to wake it up) and then it’s all good I got full response and power.
I’ve never had it happen when I’m speeding like crazy through back roads and it’s only happened to me once in a race. it seems to only happen when I’m giving the car low revs then wanting to go in full throttle so low. maybe the sensors aren’t allowing air or the throttle body flap isn’t opening enough?
Old 04-23-2020, 09:49 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by 03JamesDE
Thanks for the reply,
it only does the jerking thing when I floor it from 2000rpm in 6th to around 3000rpm. If I let off full throttle then go back on it sometimes kicks back to full power. It doesn’t happen often tbh most of the time my car is running just fine. It seems to be extra “laggy” or slow if I start it up and start to give it full throttle in low rpms. My best guess is something with the throttle body.
For when you did the donuts I feel it went back to normal because you were redlining and giving lots of gas and revs. When my car goes into the “limp” or “bog” I’ll throw it in neutral and rev it to like 4-5000rpms (seems to wake it up) and then it’s all good I got full response and power.
I’ve never had it happen when I’m speeding like crazy through back roads and it’s only happened to me once in a race. it seems to only happen when I’m giving the car low revs then wanting to go in full throttle so low. maybe the sensors aren’t allowing air or the throttle body flap isn’t opening enough?
Possibly,

I read somewhere that somebody has some aftermarket tail lights on and once they re-installed the OEM one's back on it fixed their issue they were having with something similar to this. Strangely enough, I only use my headlights at night and this only occurs at night. I'll be doing a test, driving around with my headlights on during the day and seeing if that triggers something, if that's the case then I guess I can change my tail lights out bah.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:35 AM
03JamesDE

Originally Posted by SenpaiNodusMe
Possibly,

I read somewhere that somebody has some aftermarket tail lights on and once they re-installed the OEM one's back on it fixed their issue they were having with something similar to this. Strangely enough, I only use my headlights at night and this only occurs at night. I'll be doing a test, driving around with my headlights on during the day and seeing if that triggers something, if that's the case then I guess I can change my tail lights out bah.
I would try that and let me know how it goes! I had the regular stock tail lights and switched to the newer LED version not too long after I got the car. Since you read somewhere that someone else changed their tail light and had the same problem as me I’m going to try that too
Old 04-24-2020, 07:32 AM
SenpaiNodusMe

I would try that and let me know how it goes! I had the regular stock tail lights and switched to the newer LED version not too long after I got the car. Since you read somewhere that someone else changed their tail light and had the same problem as me I’m going to try that too
Howdy,

So it really is my headlights/taillights. After turning them off and then on, when I do have them on my car slowly accelerates then when I turn them off quickly my car jolts and just guns it going light speed!

I'm really not sure where to start, I guess I'll be replacing my rear tail lights as a start. I hope this helps you out.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:22 AM
03JamesDE

Originally Posted by SenpaiNodusMe
Howdy,

So it really is my headlights/taillights. After turning them off and then on, when I do have them on my car slowly accelerates then when I turn them off quickly my car jolts and just guns it going light speed!

I'm really not sure where to start, I guess I'll be replacing my rear tail lights as a start. I hope this helps you out.
wow! I would never think that tail lights would be causing this issue. I work later tonight so I will it for myself then and let you know how it goes. Very odd thing lol maybe us low year Z owners just need to upgrade to a bigger battery or something along those lines? Glad it worked out for you and it wasn’t something too expensive or major!
Old 04-24-2020, 08:23 AM
SenpaiNodusMe

wow! I would never think that tail lights would be causing this issue. I work later tonight so I will it for myself then and let you know how it goes. Very odd thing lol maybe us low year Z owners just need to upgrade to a bigger battery or something along those lines? Glad it worked out for you and it wasn’t something too expensive or major!
Yeah,

Not really sure what the issue is, I'm hoping it's something really simple I'm not seeing!

Best of luck, let me know what was wrong!
Old 04-30-2020, 01:26 PM
B.Sterling

Lots of Ebay LED taillights will cause this. I had it happen to me six years ago. There's a fix that involves wiring a resistor in each taillight harness. I have done the fix and it worked although I can't remember what size resistor it was though, there's a thread on here somewhere. Best of luck lol
Old 04-30-2020, 01:52 PM
03JamesDE

Originally Posted by B.Sterling
Lots of Ebay LED taillights will cause this. I had it happen to me six years ago. There's a fix that involves wiring a resistor in each taillight harness. I have done the fix and it worked although I can't remember what size resistor it was though, there's a thread on here somewhere. Best of luck lol
turns out it wasn’t my tail lights after all. I did order my tail lights off rock auto and not eBay. It doesn’t really happen in my car often only sometimes when I’m trying to go full throttle, it’s defiantly manageable but still something I want fixed. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.