2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Mods that matter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 PM
TsukubaDreams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods that matter!

Hey guys,

New to the forum As well as the Z platform. Coming from a Honda background, there are some gripes I have with the Z as compared but over all I love going sideways.

*BTW I have a base model Z (08 HR) that is stock besides wheels and coils along with interior and exterior styling.*

now that that’s out of the way I have a simple but possible complex question.

WHAT MODS MATTER the most to the Z platform. It’s easy to suggest buying big HP components but Im more interested on the little stuff that means the most down the line that not a lot of new people would know about.

For example, I learned about the rear diff bracket for added support or maybe something like a oil catch cans. See, these mods done cost much but the z can really benefit from the mods.

again I know it’s very broad but if there is common tips and tricks/ bang for buck mods to look out for while I have the funds.

Thanks guys, hopefully I Explained myself as clear as possible.

Last edited by TsukubaDreams; 05-04-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:20 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,306 Likes on 906 Posts

It's hard to know what kind of mods to suggest without knowing what your priorities are. Your beautiful blue Z looks to be nicely modded, so not sure of which way you're looking.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:26 PM
TsukubaDreams

Originally Posted by dkmura
It's hard to know what kind of mods to suggest without knowing what your priorities are. Your beautiful blue Z looks to be nicely modded, so not sure of which way you're looking.
I appologize. I plan to completely dive head first into the drift/track culture. However, still drivable in the street as a daily. Mind you I don’t mind a rigid track car either . I’m looking for functional mods that I should buy since my car will be in high stress track days.

I guess I don’t want to skip over any mods that would contribute to longevity while enjoying hard track days. Hopefully this made it more clear. Thank you for the compliment btw man!

Last edited by TsukubaDreams; 05-04-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:54 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

With a background in SCCA and NASA road racing, I can speak to the grip side of the equation. There's plenty of information on this site, but the order should be swaybars - shocks - springs. Depending on wear, you may need to change bushings and other pieces to utilize these components properly. Another good mod to consider is a good LSD- take a look at the Quaife, Nismo and WaveTrac units.

BTW- I'm wondering what kind of gripes you have with the Z33 in coming from a Honda? Having started my racing career with Honda over 30 years ago, I appreciate their engineering as well. But Nissan engineering and the Z doesn't take a back seat to anyone.
The following users liked this post:
TsukubaDreams (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 06:00 PM
calvin.w

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Let me start by saying this: have you already replaced the gallery gasket? If not, you might wanna get that out of the way first. The HRs gallery gaskets are prone to breaking at around 100k miles. It results in drop in oil pressure and can cause further damage down the road. Highly recommend Z1 Motorsports gasket as they have updated them.
Also while you're at it, go ahead and replace your thermostat too. You're already in there, why not?
New radiator won't hurt. However the stock radiator has an integrated transmission cooler so any aftermarket radiators, you'll have to reroute the transmission lines to a new cooler.
Z1 also makes an oil cooler for different setups and it fits right on the core support.
DON'T TOSS YOUR CONDENSER! I did last year and I'm paying for it now.
Lightweight crank pulley because the OEM one is HEFTY HEFTY HEAVY.
New bushings, aftermarket sway bar (hotchkis is good).
There's also spacers for the plenum and and oil pan as well.
Anyone got anything else?
OH AND HAVE FUN PUMPING GAS
Old 05-04-2020, 06:04 PM
calvin.w

Oh and you don't need a catch can since you have an HR engine unless you plan to slide alot
Old 05-04-2020, 07:10 PM
TsukubaDreams

With a background in SCCA and NASA road racing, I can speak to the grip side of the equation. There's plenty of information on this site, but the order should be swaybars - shocks - springs. Depending on wear, you may need to change bushings and other pieces to utilize these components properly. Another good mod to consider is a good LSD- take a look at the Quaife, Nismo and WaveTrac units.

BTW- I'm wondering what kind of gripes you have with the Z33 in coming from a Honda? Having started my racing career with Honda over 30 years ago, I appreciate their engineering as well. But Nissan engineering and the Z doesn't take a back seat to anyone.
ok good tip. What about stuff like upgraded oil coolers or power steering coolers. Am I going to worry about temps?

and trust me I love the Z and there are no major gripes but a couple things are the notchy gear box of the z. My Honda was smooth as butter and the throw was a lot shorter (I plan to fix that with the tourque solution short shifter) and the gear ratios are a lot longer than I’m used too. My Honda has the jdm type r gears and final drive. But I understand the gears need to be long for the Z
Old 05-04-2020, 07:13 PM
TsukubaDreams

Originally Posted by calvin.w
Let me start by saying this: have you already replaced the gallery gasket? If not, you might wanna get that out of the way first. The HRs gallery gaskets are prone to breaking at around 100k miles. It results in drop in oil pressure and can cause further damage down the road. Highly recommend Z1 Motorsports gasket as they have updated them.
Also while you're at it, go ahead and replace your thermostat too. You're already in there, why not?
New radiator won't hurt. However the stock radiator has an integrated transmission cooler so any aftermarket radiators, you'll have to reroute the transmission lines to a new cooler.
Z1 also makes an oil cooler for different setups and it fits right on the core support.
DON'T TOSS YOUR CONDENSER! I did last year and I'm paying for it now.
New bushings, aftermarket sway bar (hotchkis is good).
There's also spacers for the plenum and and oil pan as well.
Anyone got anything else?
OH AND HAVE FUN PUMPING GAS
haha ok this is more what I was looking for. Preventative maintenance kinda of stuff. Besides the items that were listed, i think that might cover what I was asking. Man all of you were great appreciate the knowledge my friends. Stay safe out there.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:31 PM
myGgoes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend Z1 poly motor mounts and subframe collars. Car became more responsive and predictable. Especially with speed or while drifting. The motor mounts will make shifting smoother as well.
TsukubaDreams (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,668 Posts

When you said it an 08, I would have never guessed it was an HR. Glad you brought that up.

Mods that matter, since you have a base and want to drift. First thing, get a vlsd third member from a 370z. Sure the vlsd sucks, but the gear ratio is nice, it will work till you get a real dif.

Next, get front control arms. Adding camber is a must for front grip.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:39 AM
TsukubaDreams

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Next, get front control arms. Adding camber is a must for front grip.
oh yea I’m def getting front control arms. I’ve done my research and I’ve decided to go with FDF fab angle kit since I’ve read they won’t break like the pbr tube control arms. Can anyone verify?

also is it worth it to spend $900 on a whole kit, or can I get away with just control arms?
Old 05-05-2020, 06:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Since SCCA rules allow only limited mods, including front upper adjustable control arms, I can report that the other OEM parts hold up quite well. BMW Z4 M-coupes in comparison, need to replace the lower aluminum control arms on a regular basis.

Another essential mod for the HR is a Setrab oil cooler. The HR gets hot during extended track sessions and pulls timing I'd also suggest you swap over your gearbox lube to Redline MT85. It'll help with notchiness and syncro operation.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 AM
TsukubaDreams

Another essential mod for the HR is a Setrab oil cooler. The HR gets hot during extended track sessions and pulls timing I'd also suggest you swap over your gearbox lube to Redline MT85. It'll help with notchiness and syncro operation.
yea I plan on getting the z1 cooler. Yea I noticed 5th grinds almost every time when down shifting. Hopefully the fluid helps with that.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2020, 06:39 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

My z came with a lightweight crank pulley and the first thing I did was replace it for a stock pulley due to not having a harmonic balancer.

I would not recommend a lightweight crankpulley ever
Old 05-05-2020, 07:54 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
My z came with a lightweight crank pulley and the first thing I did was replace it for a stock pulley due to not having a harmonic balancer.

I would not recommend a lightweight crankpulley ever
Second this x100. A damped crank pulley is important, Especially if you no longer have the OEM dual mass flywheel. if you plan on any type of motorsports get the ATI Superdamper for the HR or get a oem one.

A running engine makes more power than a blown engine...
Old 05-05-2020, 01:11 PM
calvin.w

I was just guessing on the pulley. I never had one so that's an oops for me lol.
And following up with what I said about pumping gas, the neat little trick to getting a full tank, but also looking silly, is turning the gas pump upside down. I do it every single time. We all know about the funky nozzle that makes the gas pump think your tank is full when you've only put in $5
Old 05-05-2020, 02:12 PM
TsukubaDreams

Originally Posted by GreyZ
Second this x100. A damped crank pulley is important, Especially if you no longer have the OEM dual mass flywheel. if you plan on any type of motorsports get the ATI Superdamper for the HR or get a oem one.

A running engine makes more power than a blown engine...
wow great to know. This mean more to me since I in fact am not running the stock flywheel. I’m have a 11lbs one or so.

good to know.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,289 Likes on 2,340 Posts

OK, you don't know me but if you read any of my posts, my saying this will NOT come as a surprise to you....

THE most important modification for a Z (or any other car for that matter and in particular, anyone heading to the track) is the driver mod.

#drivingschool

OK, at my yearly allotment. Almost.... think I get three more mentions this year.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
thekinn (05-07-2020), zwei_the_c (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:56 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK, you don't know me but if you read any of my posts, my saying this will NOT come as a surprise to you....

THE most important modification for a Z (or any other car for that matter and in particular, anyone heading to the track) is the driver mod.

#drivingschool

OK, at my yearly allotment. Almost.... think I get three more mentions this year.
That ^^ + HPDE, + Helmet + brake pads, tires, and regular fluid maintenance.. are you still interested after a few events? + Safety equipment (roll bar/cage, harnesses, hans...) + more track time .. then start thinking about car mods.
MicVelo (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 05:59 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaDreams
Hey guys,

WHAT MODS MATTER the most to the Z platform.
I was just guessing on the pulley. I never had one so that's an oops for me lol.
This site. . .