Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First car accident.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 10:07 AM
Victor021

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First car accident.

It was the day after a snow storm happened in the east coast. I was driving maybe 15 mph or 20 and I suddenly lost control while driving down a icy road towards work. My car spun out and my rear hit a pole and luckily my airbags didn’t deploy. I been having my z for almost 2 years now and this is my first accident. No one was hurt and I just drove my car to work and back. I currently have it parked while I wait for my appointment to a bodyshop soon. It’s a 2006 base model with 68k miles on it. My first post here and would appreciate any insights or if anyone else has gone through something similar. Thank you!

Old 02-15-2021, 05:30 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,309 Likes on 909 Posts

Welcome, but I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this will be an expensive first accident. The Z is particularly vulnerable to damage on the rear quarter panel (QP), and when you slammed into that pole it creased that double wall section. While the rear bumper can be replaced and repainted, that QP cannot be easily repaired. To do it properly, the QP should be cut out and a new section welded back in before priming and painting. That can cost thousands, and can exceed the value of the car, It doesn't sound like you have collision insurance, but this kind of damage would usually have the company totaling the Z .
Old 02-15-2021, 06:16 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,143 Likes on 6,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor021
It was the day after a snow storm happened in the east coast. I was driving maybe 15 mph or 20 and I suddenly lost control while driving down a icy road towards work. My car spun out and my rear hit a pole and luckily my airbags didn’t deploy. I been having my z for almost 2 years now and this is my first accident. No one was hurt and I just drove my car to work and back. I currently have it parked while I wait for my appointment to a bodyshop soon. It’s a 2006 base model with 68k miles on it. My first post here and would appreciate any insights or if anyone else has gone through something similar. Thank you!

Hmmmm, drives "safely" but the stickers says you are driving this way to **** them off

My guess Is $4k if you fix it, insurance will prob total it
Old 02-16-2021, 12:01 PM
Victor021

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome, but I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this will be an expensive first accident. The Z is particularly vulnerable to damage on the rear quarter panel (QP), and when you slammed into that pole it creased that double wall section. While the rear bumper can be replaced and repainted, that QP cannot be easily repaired. To do it properly, the QP should be cut out and a new section welded back in before priming and painting. That can cost thousands, and can exceed the value of the car, It doesn't sound like you have collision insurance, but this kind of damage would usually have the company totaling the Z .
Thanks for the reply, luckily I have collision coverage and already got a scheduled appointment with a approved bodyshop this week. I have also heard about quarter panel prices so hopefully it can be repairable and not be totaled. I do realize that z’s are accident prone so in the case that my car is totaled, I will probably lean towards something else.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:16 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks for the reply, luckily I have collision coverage and already got a scheduled appointment with a approved bodyshop this week. I have also heard about quarter panel prices so hopefully it can be repairable and not be totaled. I do realize that z’s are accident prone so in the case that my car is totaled, I will probably lean towards something else.
The Z is NOT accident prone, but Z owners may be! It's a powerful V6 powered sportscar with RWD and 50/50 weight distribution. That can make it difficult to drive in the snow or rain. Many of us choose other cars to drive when the white stuff starts falling.
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (02-21-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 12:59 PM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Damage is greater than 80% of the cars value = Total.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:03 PM
g356sp

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Bummer, sorry to hear that man, live and learn! Hopefully you never need to take the car above 20mph again.

Now, if you were out drifting in the snow, or maybe lied about your speed, that's a whole different story, but assuming you're telling the truth, you probably don't belong behind the wheel.

Alright, that's enough kicking you while you're down. We've all made mistakes and damaged our cars, and we've all probably lied about it to save face, I certainly have. Take this as an expensive lesson, pay more attention to the road conditions (goes without saying, but put your phone down), and maybe see if there are any autocross clubs in your area to help hone your understanding of the car and how it reacts to low-grip situations.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:03 PM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep rwd, low profile/wide tires and short wheelbase is a bad combination for snow/ ice, even rain. I dont doubt your story.

It's an expensive repair to do it properly, as has been stated. As for what you should do, depends on what the car is worth to you, and how insurance handles it.

If they total the car, you could buy it back, and get it fixed yourself. There are 'cheaper' ways to 'fix' it, (over fenders). Or if you're over it, you may choose to move on. Depends on insurance settlement, and if you care about the integrity of the car, e.g. the title, and how you repair it, if so. Good luck with it either ways.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:27 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,143 Likes on 6,594 Posts

I don't believe it a bit, cars don't just randomly fly off the road. He prob hit the brakes, hit the gas too hard....or driving too fast for the condition of the road

I am going to call him Dugan Jr
Old 02-19-2021, 08:22 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Let us know what the estimate was and what you decide to do.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:09 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,403 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Your bumper sticker leads me to think the opposite of everything you posted.