Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2004 touring 350z having major starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 06:34 PM
Gerbolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 touring 350z having major starting problems

Hello so yesterday my street was flooded and a deep puddle caught me by surprise. Initially it only caused the gauge to show that I was overheating but it turned into more than that. My car was still able to start and run fine it's just the gauge showed that I was nearly overheating. I left it overnight and checked on it again this morning. I noticed my coolant was low and topped it up. I turned the car on and noticed my TCS OFF and SLIP light were turned on. Moved it into my driveway since it's parked in the street turned it off. I then went back outside after like 30 minutes and now the brake and ABS light were turned on along with the TCS and slip light. I also noticed that the turn signals wouldn't show up on my cluster but they still worked worked and my lights were turned on despite being off. I thought maybe something was off and it started improperly so I turned it off and turned it back on except this time instead of the car starting, it started for a second and then turned off and my battery light came on. I tried restarting again and this time it turned on. After inspecting the engine bay for a while I noticed water got around the electronics and in some plugs so I unplugged the ones that had water and unplugged the battery. I waited 15 minutes and replugged everything back in and tried to start it except now it only cranks and wont start at all. What should I do? I don't think I did anything too stupid but if I did let me know please. I'm suspecting the battery or the wiring right now. Thank you
edit there is no code or check engine light.

Last edited by Gerbolt; 01-10-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:42 AM
Dontmocme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it flooded it’s done for. If water got into the electrical connections it’s going to corrode and cause issues down the line. If you have full coverage insurance they will total it. Is the carpet wet in the interior?
Old 01-11-2023, 06:12 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, and while flooding can be a serious matter, I wouldn't assume the worse yet. If the engine bay was soaked, have you dried the area completely? Check the area above the battery where the IPDM is located and make sure it's totally dry, inside and out. Take the time to dry all connectors and attachments before trying to start your Z again. Also, it's very important to check for any water in the intake itself.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:05 PM
Gerbolt

Originally Posted by Dontmocme
Is the carpet wet in the interior?
The interior is completely dry I think it's just the electronics that took a hit of water.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:06 PM
Gerbolt

Thank you for the advice I'll provide an update once it's done
Old 01-11-2023, 12:24 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Disconnect the battery. Get at the PCM wire harness connections with compressed air. Blow out all the electrical plugs for your engine harness (and trans if you have the ability to get the car up higher). Also inspect all your fuses, it's possible the water caused some electrical shorts and blew fuses. I would also follow-up with di-electric grease on all the harness plugs, really helps prevent moisture corrosion. If you have a cold air intake or pop-charger mounted low in the bumper corner, just make sure the filter is nice and dry. It doesn't sound like you sucked water into the engine, otherwise it wouldn't start after the incident. Fingers crossed the PCM & BCM weren't damaged from an electrical short.

Don't give up yet, if water did not enter the interior, odds are you can save it.
Good Luck!
-Icer

Old 01-12-2023, 04:52 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Don’t forget using WD-40 in all the plugs and connectors after blow drying, above.

In addition….

Have you checked for battery power?

Have you pulled codes?

Have you also dried and WD-40’d connections to cam and crank sensors?

Essemtially every connection exposed to water (whether you can see them or not) are prone to shorting or not conducting properly so it’s a long and tedious process but if you follow advice above (ignoring Dr. Doom), you’ll eventually track it down.