Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Correcting my unrealistic expectation

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 02:30 PM
ma3zastar

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Correcting my unrealistic expectation

From the few months that I owned my Z, I realized a lot of my goals were ridiculous and I wanted to skip a lot of steps to go for more power. I enjoyed my car more thoroughly and decided to be more patient with modding. I put on some nice Tein coilovers instead of keeping my Megan Racing lowering springs, and also got on some K&N intakes. I'm currently working my exhaust setup with a decent set of exhausts (GReddy one I saw, not sure if they;re good or not), I'm doing a set of headers (I'm going with some cheap ones on eBay with heat wrap on it [if I shouldn't do that please recommend some, I saw a video that informed that they aren't too bad for the price]), some berk test pipes, and Kinetix V+ manifold. While that's progressing I'm also doing a manual swap. While I was getting parts for my Z, I befriended someone that's doing a LS swap so they're parting out their car. I was able to grab me a manual transmission, it's a CD01 but it has aftermarket clutch and flywheel on it. I'm excited to be moving onto something a little bigger and SLOWLY progressing onto my goal in the future.

Has anyone used Unknown Performance's rear mount turbo kit? After an level 3 engine rebuild, how much power would I be able to make with that kit? Also how much without built internals? I'm not thinking of turboing soon since after I'm moved out, I won't have the funds to continue with my builds since I'll have to pay for more myself, but if there's any advice about this turbo kit it'd be greatly appreciated.

And for my wheels that I got brutally flamed for, I'm just moving onto G35 Rays wheels. It's still not the 10 inch rear width that I'm looking for but it's better than the 8.5 one that I have on my setup right now. Follow the gram for the Z right now @ja3h0ng.jun
Old 01-31-2023, 06:59 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Greddy goes way back, Trust Japan is their parent company which was founded in 1977. I have owned several of their turbo kits across various platforms since the late 90s, quality is never an issue. If you're looking at cheap ebay headers, I suspect your "turbo and level 3 engine build" ambitions are realistically unrealistic.
The following 4 users liked this post by mr. sparco:
ma3zastar (02-01-2023), MicVelo (02-02-2023), terrasmak (02-02-2023), travlee (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:44 AM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Didn't you have a higher mileage car?
TBH, i wouldn't bother with headers if you aren't staying NA or going supercharger. If you are going to buy headers, IMO there are only 2 options: Tomei or PPE.
If you can't feasibly get $15k in one shot stay NA, get a better diff with a 3.9or 4.1 and nitrous
Old 02-01-2023, 03:34 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

this is his fifth post about turbo'ing or modding the car since August.... nothing has happened, he is a 19yo student (which obviously dont have alot of time or money) so i will officially label his threads as dreamer threads

Last edited by travlee; 02-01-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:28 AM
ma3zastar

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Greddy goes way back, Trust Japan is their parent company which was founded in 1977. I have owned several of their turbo kits across various platforms since the late 90s, quality is never an issue. If you're looking at cheap ebay headers, I suspect your "turbo and level 3 engine build" ambitions are realistically unrealistic.
I’m concerned about it too, but I think it’s the best way to go about making power. It’s gonna be a few year thing not like a week or two. I hope I’ll be able to work on it to a decent amount. I’m ambitious about the project.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:32 AM
ma3zastar

Originally Posted by travlee
this is his fifth post about turbo'ing or modding the car since August.... nothing has happened, he is a 19yo student (which obviously dont have alot of time or money) so i will officially label his threads as dreamer threads
I’ve spent a bit on my build so far and I have the transmission too. It seemed like a dreamers thing but I’m getting towards my goals. I could’ve bought a rev9 thing and ****ed it up but I deceived to go another route spending the same amount and focusing on other parts. I’m just focusing on the transmission swap first because the rear turbo is only for manuals.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:34 AM
ma3zastar

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Didn't you have a higher mileage car?
TBH, i wouldn't bother with headers if you aren't staying NA or going supercharger. If you are going to buy headers, IMO there are only 2 options: Tomei or PPE.
If you can't feasibly get $15k in one shot stay NA, get a better diff with a 3.9or 4.1 and nitrous
oahhhhh thanks man. Why aren’t headers good? I’m fine with spending more I was just told ebay headers were fine, that being the ONLY reason for even thinking about it. Yeah there’s no way I’m getting up to 15k in one shot hahaha. I just wanted to build it slowly, my goal is to have to turbo’d by the end of my college degree.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:40 AM
ma3zastar

Originally Posted by travlee
I think I ****ed my credibility up by just saying outlandish things not accounting for other life factors. I’m probably gonna be better off not really updating because it all looks like I’m lying.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:17 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by ma3zastar
I think I ****ed my credibility up by just saying outlandish things not accounting for other life factors. I’m probably gonna be better off not really updating because it all looks like I’m lying.
nah... i am a sarcastic ***, and it is hard to interpret things on a computer monitor on how they are actually said. i will give ya credit on amassing the parts, but know that if you have a set dollar amount you will almost always go over that, along with finding something else that is wrong....aka diff bushings, do you have black jizz running on the subframe,, if so its blown.

keep at it, dont go broke on a toy, and post updates as you get to them. one word of advice, start one thread and stick to it... so many are very similar, will be easier for us to keep up on what is going on
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:19 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by ma3zastar
oahhhhh thanks man. Why aren’t headers good? I’m fine with spending more I was just told ebay headers were fine, that being the ONLY reason for even thinking about it. Yeah there’s no way I’m getting up to 15k in one shot hahaha. I just wanted to build it slowly, my goal is to have to turbo’d by the end of my college degree.
shorties are not worth the effort to put them on for minimal gains... the only ones that really do anything are the PPE,
Old 02-01-2023, 09:37 AM
fatjoe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be honest, we are all dreamers. That is what made this forum become a place to find ideas and communicate with other like-minded people.

If you aren't a dreamer, you are someone that drives fast cars slow..
Old 02-01-2023, 11:19 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

I'm probably the king of ebay parts here. Ebay clutch, ebay turbo kit, ebay aluminum lugs, ebay spacers/replacement suspension parts and I wouldn't put ebay headers on my car. They are going to crack. If it was a 2 hour job it wouldn't matter, but it isn't. The gain in HP doesn't justify the cost/labor for the ebay or name brand one's either, imo
Old 02-01-2023, 12:40 PM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Varying opinions on headers. Z1 shorty headers are a great option for longer term plans. By themselves, they don't really do a whole lot, but for future plans of cams/built motor/turbo etc, they will help. I have a set of the OG momentum headers (now Z1 headers) now paired with my momentum single turbo kit (always was the goal/dream), but it took a decade of ownership and planning.

Keep taking your time, and consider skipping the ebay headers. As mentioned above, they tend to crack, and that's not a job you want to tackle multiple times. My Momentum headers went on the car in 2013 and I haven't had a single problem.

Good used deals still show up if you're patient.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:23 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Save your money and enjoy the car the way it is. Wait a couple years to establish yourself and you won't have worry about budget constraints. Heck after you're established you can move on to modding bigger and better cars. Its not worth going broke or having to cheap out to try and get a 20 year old car to go a bit faster.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 02-01-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:35 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I have DC headers on my car.. It was one of the best times of my life putting them in... I also had a V+ plenum.... It did basically nothing and caused my strut bar to rub on my hood...

Wouldn't recommend...

If i had an auto i would look for a manual trans diff, Change the subframe and diff bushings and call it a day.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:35 PM
DarkZ03

The Tomei are better than the Z1/Momentum IMO and I've had both in my possession. I love mine but I plan a supercharging so it made sense l, not necessary on a turbo car unless you want big numbers.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:42 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Also the G35 rays are 8.5 inches wide in back same as the 350z rays. Maybe get some spacers if your not planning to upgrade them...
Old 02-02-2023, 09:42 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

So your doing a manual swap ?
Old 02-02-2023, 09:52 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
The Tomei are better than the Z1/Momentum IMO and I've had both in my possession. I love mine but I plan a supercharging so it made sense l, not necessary on a turbo car unless you want big numbers.
Certainly don't agree on the last point, as a higher flowing header can drastically improve turbo spool and help mitigate exhaust manifold absolute pressure (EMAP) in any kind of boosted application.

Definitely a fan of tomei parts, but would be curious about the collector comparison as the Momentum/Z1 was the best on the market for a long period of time.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:38 PM
DarkZ03

Certainly it would help, but in the context of this build (or lack there of) he doesn't want to spend gobs of money and he doesn't have it, so that's why I say they aren't needed, when you can save that money and use it for fuel system mods.
Momentum were OK but not optimized for NA and they sure didn't do the amount of R&D that Tomei did on headers, look it up if you haven't.
I've followed their products since before Z1 got the rights to them, that's the sole reason I bought the Z1 intake and headers but I quickly found out that Z1 has **** poor QC for those and they are nowhere near the quality of the Momentum pieces had.
So I sold the intake and returned the headers to exchange them for the Tomei, which is why I know the Tomei have a much better fit and finish along with an equally good collector and primary setup.