Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan 350z Shifter Slop

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 06:33 AM
TechTerritory

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Nissan 350z Shifter Slop

Hello! So I just bought a 2003 Nissan 350z Touring with about 48k miles now, and when I first test drove it, I knew it would need a new clutch and new shifter bushings, but I cannot seem to find anywhere that sells poly, or honestly, even rubber at this point replacement bushings for the shifter assembly, because I need it so bad, when I am in gear, it honestly almost feels like the car is in neutral.. any help would be appreciated, thanks!! **Hope this isn't a repeat thread...**
Old 03-07-2023, 06:45 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by TechTerritory
Hello! So I just bought a 2003 Nissan 350z Touring with about 48k miles now, and when I first test drove it, I knew it would need a new clutch and new shifter bushings, but I cannot seem to find anywhere that sells poly, or honestly, even rubber at this point replacement bushings for the shifter assembly, because I need it so bad, when I am in gear, it honestly almost feels like the car is in neutral.. any help would be appreciated, thanks!! **Hope this isn't a repeat thread...**

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...hoCFMAQAvD_BwE

https://www.nisformance.com/NISforma...s-p/nis-sb.htm (Do not know this vendor so not recommending, just saw it.)

I think Nismo had some at one point or another, might want to look for that listing.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:18 AM
TechTerritory

Smile bracket bushings?

Originally Posted by MicVelo
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...hoCFMAQAvD_BwE

https://www.nisformance.com/NISforma...s-p/nis-sb.htm (Do not know this vendor so not recommending, just saw it.)

I think Nismo had some at one point or another, might want to look for that listing.
Yes, I saw those solid shifter bushings, and I was wondering if that would even help the shifter slop? I thought that was just the bracket? maybe im wrong... I just thought it was the bushings in the actual shifter linkage that needed to be replaced... thoughts?? Also btw the second link is for a Nissan Maxima, Altima, or Sentra.

Last edited by TechTerritory; 03-07-2023 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Add Detail, or Clarification
Old 03-07-2023, 11:17 AM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

The 350Z shifter linkage goes straight into a hard plastic cup, from there the shifter fork bolts straight into the U-Joint shaft that connects into the gearbox. It's virtually solid all the way through, no bushings in the traditional sense. A lot of the slop you're feeling could be coming from a blown rear diff bushing, ripped engine mounts, or ripped transmission mount. I felt a lot of movement in the shift stick on my Z before I replaced the rear diff bushings and installed the GKtech diff brace, it's much more solid now. You can improve it further by replacing the engine mounts and trans mount with Poly bushings, but that will generate a noticeable amount of NVH.

I suspect and suggest inspecting your Shifter Ball/Cup assembly. Overtime it's possible this has worn out, it is plastic and if neglected (not cleaned & re-greased) and abused (slam shifting), I could see this wearing out or potentially breaking/cracking. The rubber gasket at the top also helps reduce play and maintain the position of the pivot point in relation to the shifter end-point adjustment plate (triangle shaped plate that captures the ball & cup assembly in the trans shifter bracket). Based on what you described, I believe this might be your issue. It's pretty easy to disconnect the shifter from the trans and inspect this component. One 12-mm bolt at the fork under the car (pull back the rubber boot to expose it) and 7x 10mm bolts under the shift boot. You don't even need to remove the shift **** to do this, but it does make it easier if you can.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 03-07-2023, 01:18 PM
tuzzio

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

GKtech also has an offering for the tripod bushings: https://us.gktech.com/z33-350z-z34-3...ounts-set-of-4
Old 03-07-2023, 05:28 PM
icer5160

They also offer a set of nice shift springs to firm up the lateral rebound of the shift **** and reduce some of the slop. I've read that the MTEC version doesn't make much, if any, difference...if you have a CD009 6MT, but since the OP is running an 03 presumably with the older 6MT, these should have a noticeable impact. I'm actually considering the GKTech kit for myself since they offer two levels of spring rates, I think this might be a *must have* item if you're rocking a weighted shift ****. It's a cheap/affordable mod, and simple DIY with a huge quality of life impact. I need to check if anyone on the forums did a review writeup.

https://us.gktech.com/350z-370z-shif...urn-spring-kit

Cheers!
-Icer

Old 03-08-2023, 10:32 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
They also offer a set of nice shift springs to firm up the lateral rebound of the shift **** and reduce some of the slop. I've read that the MTEC version doesn't make much, if any, difference...if you have a CD009 6MT, but since the OP is running an 03 presumably with the older 6MT, these should have a noticeable impact. I'm actually considering the GKTech kit for myself since they offer two levels of spring rates, I think this might be a *must have* item if you're rocking a weighted shift ****. It's a cheap/affordable mod, and simple DIY with a huge quality of life impact. I need to check if anyone on the forums did a review writeup.

https://us.gktech.com/350z-370z-shif...urn-spring-kit

Cheers!
-Icer
Interesting. I've never seen this before. For about $30 and maybe 10 minutes of time, I might be willing to be the guinea pig with my overpriced JDM AF TK Hebi Bebi...
The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 11:16 AM
icer5160

Hey Heel,

I searched the forums and I couldn't find anyone talking specifically about the Gktech kit. There were a few posts regarding the MTEC kit, but that was all. Most feedback about this mod has been very positive. If you do end up getting a set to try out, please do a review write-up!
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 03-08-2023, 01:14 PM
tuzzio

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I did shifter return springs on my S13 and it made a massive positive difference.
icer5160 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:55 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

Hey Heel,

I searched the forums and I couldn't find anyone talking specifically about the Gktech kit. There were a few posts regarding the MTEC kit, but that was all. Most feedback about this mod has been very positive. If you do end up getting a set to try out, please do a review write-up!
Cheers!
-Icer
Done. Just ordered it. I'll post a DIY/write-up/review upon installation!
icer5160 (03-09-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 05:26 AM
TechTerritory

The 350Z shifter linkage goes straight into a hard plastic cup, from there the shifter fork bolts straight into the U-Joint shaft that connects into the gearbox. It's virtually solid all the way through, no bushings in the traditional sense. A lot of the slop you're feeling could be coming from a blown rear diff bushing, ripped engine mounts, or ripped transmission mount. I felt a lot of movement in the shift stick on my Z before I replaced the rear diff bushings and installed the GKtech diff brace, it's much more solid now. You can improve it further by replacing the engine mounts and trans mount with Poly bushings, but that will generate a noticeable amount of NVH.

I suspect and suggest inspecting your Shifter Ball/Cup assembly. Overtime it's possible this has worn out, it is plastic and if neglected (not cleaned & re-greased) and abused (slam shifting), I could see this wearing out or potentially breaking/cracking. The rubber gasket at the top also helps reduce play and maintain the position of the pivot point in relation to the shifter end-point adjustment plate (triangle shaped plate that captures the ball & cup assembly in the trans shifter bracket). Based on what you described, I believe this might be your issue. It's pretty easy to disconnect the shifter from the trans and inspect this component. One 12-mm bolt at the fork under the car (pull back the rubber boot to expose it) and 7x 10mm bolts under the shift boot. You don't even need to remove the shift **** to do this, but it does make it easier if you can.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Ohhhhh Okay, thanks so much! I have Engine, and transmission aftermarket poly mounts already, do you think that the rear diff bushing needs replaced? I also know that the previous owner did abuse this car for sure, so should I just take out the whole center console and clean, regrease, and replace as much as I can? I could also send a video if you need to see how much slop there is while you are in gear if that would be helpful? Im someone tight on cash ATM, but want to get this fixed, because it is hard to shift precisely.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:40 PM
TechTerritory

Unhappy Not it Unfortunately :/

Good Luck!
-Icer
Alright Icer, you seem to get what your talking about maybe, this is whee im at right now.

S i tore the whole inside of the car apart, and disconnected the shifter rod, and inspected the shifter ball/cup assembly, and there is a TINY amount of movement, and the rubber is hardly worn, and then I just screwed back in the screw that connects the shifter rod to the other rod that connects to the transmission, and then put it in gear and shook it, and the whole second rod moved, but the transmission didnt budge (As I said, I put poly bushings in) and had my dad look underneath at the differential, and the differential bushings, and nothing. Has anyone else had this issue? I dont know where in the world the slop would be coming from!! I can move the shifter left and right about 1.5 inches on both sides (about 3 inches total from my memory) and Its not the shifter ball cup, nor the transmission or differential... has anyone had an issue where the slop comes from inside the transmission??? thoughts? the syncros are on their way out, but they still have life in them, and it doesnt make sense to me that that would be causing the slop... HELP... please. (I also felt the tripod, and its fine, the small amount of movement their is is the same as my friends Z)

Last edited by TechTerritory; 03-27-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:13 PM
icer5160

Hi Tech,

Since you confirmed the cup assembly is in good shape, then the remaining item to check are the shifter return springs.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can try upgrading these springs with the Gktech kit. Before ordering replacements, I suggest pulling out the stock springs and inspecting them (if they are even present). I suspect they are either completely worn out, broken, or missing. Worst case scenario, the internal piece that these springs push against could be broken (least likely). This issue was present since you purchased the car right? It's possible the previous owner messed with these springs, so inspect to verify/confirm. They are easy to access and check. Watch the gktech product video on it (link in previous post).
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 03-31-2023, 01:10 PM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Tech,

Since you confirmed the cup assembly is in good shape, then the remaining item to check are the shifter return springs.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can try upgrading these springs with the Gktech kit. Before ordering replacements, I suggest pulling out the stock springs and inspecting them (if they are even present). I suspect they are either completely worn out, broken, or missing. Worst case scenario, the internal piece that these springs push against could be broken (least likely). This issue was present since you purchased the car right? It's possible the previous owner messed with these springs, so inspect to verify/confirm. They are easy to access and check. Watch the gktech product video on it (link in previous post).
Cheers!
-Icer
So the shifter springs could cause slop in every single gear? (here is a video of each of the gears while parked with the car off) it is the same when driving, just more noisy.

Last edited by Tech Territory; 03-31-2023 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add video
Old 03-31-2023, 06:44 PM
icer5160

Hi Tech,

Thanks for the vid. If it's that sloppy while in gear, then there could be damage to an internal component. I'm not sure, at this point I would suggest reaching out to a gear shop who understands the ins and outs of manual gearboxes. If it's confirmed you have an internal issue and since you have an 03, I wouldn't sink any money into fixing up the gearbox, I would look for a good used CD009, the 03 gearboxes are known for weak synchros and a few other issues.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 03-31-2023, 06:48 PM
Tech Territory

Hi Tech,

Thanks for the vid. If it's that sloppy while in gear, then there could be damage to an internal component. I'm not sure, at this point I would suggest reaching out to a gear shop who understands the ins and outs of manual gearboxes. If it's confirmed you have an internal issue and since you have an 03, I wouldn't sink any money into fixing up the gearbox, I would look for a good used CD009, the 03 gearboxes are known for weak synchros and a few other issues.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Yeah, for sure! Thanks so much for trying to help me. I assumed it was something internal at this point, The 1 and 2 gear syncros are pretty bad and the 3,4,5, and 6's are OK... so yeah, I would assume it is syncros... DC009, will this one sync up with the reverse light switch, and will it work with the stock master cylinder and stuff?
Old 04-04-2023, 06:50 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech Territory
Yeah, for sure! Thanks so much for trying to help me. I assumed it was something internal at this point, The 1 and 2 gear syncros are pretty bad and the 3,4,5, and 6's are OK... so yeah, I would assume it is syncros... DC009, will this one sync up with the reverse light switch, and will it work with the stock master cylinder and stuff?
CD009 just bolts right in. Nothing else needs to be changed. However, if the trans you get is from a pre-2006, get the newer style cast shift fork and pivot ball. I believe Z1 sell them as a set.
icer5160 (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:54 AM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by i8acobra
CD009 just bolts right in. Nothing else needs to be changed. However, if the trans you get is from a pre-2006, get the newer style cast shift fork and pivot ball. I believe Z1 sell them as a set.
Okay wonderful, thanks so much!