Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G35 4th place?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 01:10 PM
rai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G35 4th place?

This is not an off topic question, it is about the engine in the G35 and the 350Z.

I have not driven either car, but in the recient C&D comparo the G35 finished 4th behind the acura TL, the A4 3.0 and the 330i. Of note was that the VQ engine sounds a little raspy at so large a displacement. Also the TL type S was said to be the best V6 in the group, sewing machine smooth, doesn't summon the visceral clobber of the G35 but it sure surpasses it in refinement. The I-6 in the bimmer was rated the best (10).

Now I'm not looking for any remarks like "Go buy the TL if you want smooth", or anything like that. But what do you guys think after driving the 350Z? Is 3.5L a little large for a V6?, is it rough up high in the power band? does the power die too soon after peak hp?

Give me any opinions. I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to find out as much first hand from you guys as I can because I am living through you guys that already have their Z's

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:17 PM
2003z

The engine isn't too large or rough, its actually pretty smooth. Remember, 2 other mags (R&T, MT or Automobile) rated it #1 in their comparos
Old 09-27-2002, 01:26 PM
rai

I know it's C&D so the bimmer is gonna win, but I was a little surprized that the fastest and cheapest car came in 4th out of 6 cars.

Any more thoughts about power drop off?
Old 09-27-2002, 01:36 PM
MELRUMMY

I've been driving the new 350Z for about two weeks now and the engine is everybit as smooth as the Lexus SC300 that I traded in. I liked the comment that Sport Z magazine said that it is so smooth that you don't realize how quick it really is. Doesn't feel like as much kick as a turbo, but when you stick you foot in from 0-60 it;s lightning ! The sound is just what Nissan thought would be sexy, and it is.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:10 PM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

I've been reading C&D for more than 10 years. Whatever type of comparison test they are doing, I know the result before I have to read it. Here is the typical ranking order:

#1 BMW, always the top, count on it
#2 Audi, #1 if BMW is not on the comparison list
#3 Honda, #1 if BMW and Audi are not on the list
Others

Also, C&D usually don't take price and value into account of their ranking. So, just read the content, plus other magazines and make your own judgement.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:12 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by rai
I know it's C&D so the bimmer is gonna win,
Yep, and I'm starting to get tired of it. The worst part is that they always begin the conclusion paragraph with some lame line like, "although the Bavarian didn't outright win any categories, it's the sum of the parts which makes this coupe our choice over and over."

Lame. Totally lame...

Now, R&T... those guys know the right way to test a car!
Old 09-27-2002, 03:41 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VQ may be a bit "raspy" or "unrefined" compared to those other cars, and in the G35 that may be a negative. However, in the Z (and keep in mind I have yet to get over 4K RPM - well I accidentally went to 5K once) those same attributes could be considered assets. The growl of the engine and exhaust are exhilirating in the Z, and that's just up to 4K RPM. It's true that the torque drops off rapidly after the peak of 4800, so that by 6500 you are making "only" 185 ft-lbs at the wheels (according to raceboy's dyno), but 185 at the wheels is nothing to scoff at.

One other consideration, which is unclear from you original post (and since I haven't seen the article I can't judge what the writers thought), is how much less refined is the VQ. It may be only slightly less refined, or it may be significantly less refined. You do say "far less refined" than the CL, but still the BMW engine was voted best, so I don't know exactly how they're ranking things.

I guess my ponit is this. I agree that in a luxury car the slightly smoother, quieter engines from BMW and Acura may be more desirable. But in a sports car, where so much of the thrill can come from just the sound of the engine and exhaust, the VQ may actually be much more fun.

I love the VQ in the Z!!

-D'oh!
Old 09-27-2002, 08:40 PM
rai

D'oh. I see your point. Thanks to all for your replies.

I was just thinking about the 3.5L V6 and realize two of my cars have the same displacement. My honda odyssey, and my Isuzu trooper. Both have very similar hp and TQ (215hp or so), but both have different characteristics. The honda is a silky smooth at any speed and I could honestly see it in a luxury car. The Isuzu seems like it's 10 years behind the honda, but being a SUV it seems a good fit.

Now I had owned a 3.0L VQ maqima and have to say that was a damn fine engine, I hope the 350Z's is just as nice (but with nearly 100 more hp)
Old 09-27-2002, 09:06 PM
rodH

I took a quick look at the ratings and quickly put the mag down on the shelf and didn't buy it, obviously the drivers need to put down the BONG
Old 09-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Hercules

Originally posted by rai
I know it's C&D so the bimmer is gonna win, but I was a little surprized that the fastest and cheapest car came in 4th out of 6 cars.

Any more thoughts about power drop off?
Fastest isn't important to everybody...

It's the whole package that people look for. Might be quick, but the interior materials are well.. I'll just say it (at the risk of being flamed), very very poor and flimsy.

Anyways all, nitetime for me! Cheers!
Old 09-28-2002, 04:44 AM
CaneZMD

Hercules, I totally disagree with your post. This is a "sport" sedan class. All of these cars are compared not only on their luxury components, but also on their engine and handling characteristics. And after sitting in many a G35, I would hardly call the interior materials "very, very poor and flimsy". That's not the case. They may not be quite up to Audi specs, but I think they are very nice.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:13 AM
THrussT

Having sat in the G35, I wouldn't begin to put that interior in the same class as the others, especially the Acura, but unfortunately, you can't "spec" ergonomics, and what appeals to one may be "bland" to another. This is why comparo articles can be frustrating to read from Car and Driver because they'll post specs and performance/handling results which clearly point out a winner and their subjective findings totally askew all else. I think they should start wrapping up their comparo articles with two winners. The test winner and the driver's award. I wouldn't base my purchasing decision on someone else's personal observations but it would certainly help if I knew which car actually WON the comparo, not which car the driver's LIKED the most. With C&D, the two RARELY are the same. It's killing them to admit it, but the gap between Germany and Japan has closed to a point where it pains their editorial staff to write objectively. This is why I prefer EVO and Top Gear myself, though Road and Track has become better.

Last edited by THrussT; 09-28-2002 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:02 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by THrussT
unfortunately, you can't "spec" ergonomics, and what appeals to one may be "bland" to another.
I agree 100%. I've seen too many C&D comparos where the winner ended up ahead by a few points strictly because they got 9 out of 10 for looks, and the 2nd place finisher got trashed on looks.

It's a totally subjective thing that has no place in their judging. They have the sack to call a lot of new cars bland, yet heap all kinds of adoration on a BMW design that hasn't seen significant change in eons.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:11 PM
rodH

NSANY, you stole my line

So true, 1 car will get a 6 on looks and ergo, BUT totally kick but in handling and accel, and LOSE!!!! it is pretty funny to read that stuff, I wonder if they ever feel like morons when they proof read it???