Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Track Insurance - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 AM
ms_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Insurance - any ideas?

I want to participate in a recreational driving school in WV. It's called "Friday at the track" at Summit Point Raceway. (http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM) There's no racing or competition involved, just an instructional environment on how to drive your car at high speeds. There's even an instructor in your car with you the entire time.

I know that my regular insurance company won't cover such an event (I called anonymously), and I've even checked with many others. They just don't like the high speed part of it.

I'm willing to pay a bit to get collision coverage. I just can't see risking my Z w/o insurance coverage.

Beyond the idea of having a wrecked car towed from the track to somewhere else (and making up a story), does anyone have a suggestion?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Does the track offer insurance? Alot of todays insurance companies don't want you doing that, hell alot will charge you extra if you mod your car.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:29 AM
ms_350Z

unfortunately they don't...but, it sure would make sense if they did! I'd be willing to pay good money for the piece of mind
Old 05-19-2004, 09:43 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your look for track insurance, American Collector's Insurance offers insurance for High Performance Driver's Education events.

American Collector's

Most insurance WILL cover incidents at track events as long as it is NOT a racing OR timed event. I believe AllState is one of the few that won't cover any event at a track.

State Farm and Amica are insurance companies that people have had sucess collecting on from events that occured during HPDE's.

I made a post on the racing forum that has a better link to information about insurance on a track.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:09 PM
jreiter

I have heard similar information as DeludedBuzz regarding high performance driving schools. The key phrase is driving school. I would guess that you may get better results if you keep referring to the event as a "driving school", not a "driving event".
Old 05-19-2004, 04:58 PM
ms_350Z

Yeah...you're right..."school" is the key. I even highlight the word "instructional" but the insurance companies still won't bite. I've called quite a number of companies, but still no luck. I've tried most of the major carriers, K&K insurance, and even tried American Collectors as recommended above, but no luck. American Collectors would cover it, but they just don't do VA and WV yet. Hmmm...a lot of people attend this event at Summit Point, and I'm dying to know what they do to cover themselves...if in fact they do!

I may just throw my tickets up for sale and call it quits. But that really stinks...I'm really want to get out there. Just can't see risking my Z w/o insurance.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Big Sexz

Now I'm not speaking from experience (would love to go though) but I'm thinking that the instructor isnt going to let you go that fast. Mainly because he is in the car with you. Self preservation is a powerful thing. And if the unthinkable does happen, tow it home and call your insurance and calmly explain that you were on some noname back woods road in WVA and some furry critter (scientific lingo) ran out in front you. ***THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART*** You ran his little a$$ over in the process of swerving and ran off the road. If you dont hit the critter it then becomes a collision claim (ie AT FAULT) instead of a comprehensive claim (not at fault) And dont get to descriptive on the critter, "Little furry thing with 4 legs and a tail....mean looking" That will do fine.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:04 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by ms_350Z
Hmmm...a lot of people attend this event at Summit Point, and I'm dying to know what they do to cover themselves...if in fact they do!

I'm guessing most people don't think about insurance too much when they go to track events. I've been to many track events, and I'm also guilty of not worrying about insurance.

"Big Sexz" mentioned up above that they probably won't let you go fast enough to really mess up your car. They certainly do let you go that fast if you display the ability to handle it! At the high performance driving schools I've been to, you generally do start out with an instructor and go slow (if you're a novice), but you definitely start going faster and faster as you get better. Once you are good enough, you're really going very fast around the track. After you've been to a few events, my track generally puts you into C class where you don't need an instructor anymore and can drive solo.

Regardless of speed, though, things can happen. I have lots of amateur car videos taken by folks both with cameras mounted in their cars and hand held by people watching. I've got a few where the poor guys rolled their cars over. Each time, they weren't really going too fast. They just went into a corner too hot, slid off the outside going sideways, and when they hit the grass/mud at just the perfect angle their outside wheels caught and the car just rolled right over. (Fortunately no one was ever hurt.) It generally happens when it's wet and muddy.

But anyway, I don't mean to dissuade you from going. It's tons of fun! The trick really is to just take it easy, and don't even push yourself faster than you feel comfortable. If you're not sure about a turn, take it easy. Heck, I've slid off the track a couple of times, and it's usually just a bit embarassing... nothing else. When the coast is clear, you pull back on and continue.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:35 AM
ms_350Z

Actually, I've participated in the event twice already...ignorance was bliss both times! I had an amazing time. I just assumed that I was covered. But then, before going out this year, I thought more about it, and realized that I should dig in further. Unfortunately, I didn't like what I found out (.

And you're right, you definitely hit high speeds, and even when you take it easy, anything can happen. Damn, I just too nervous to risk it.